AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/)
-   -   BSOD / Electrical Gremlins (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/bsod-electrical-gremlins-2970035/)

Chiclet11 04-04-2019 04:45 PM

BSOD / Electrical Gremlins

Anyone who has had a windows PC knows about the BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death). This morning I started the Q8, and had the Audi version of BSOD. Virtual Cockpit was unaffected. Tried turning off the MMI via the volume button, and the top screen only turned off. Restarting it didn't fix the problem. Turned the car off, and stepped out. Back in, started the car, still blue. I was actually heading to the dealer to get a broken visor clip replaced, and as I drove, there was no control over temperature, radio, drive selections, garage door opener, or anything accessed via either screen.

At the dealer, the visor clip replacement took a only a few minutes. They were getting ready to send me out with a Q7 loaner so they could figure out the screen issue, but evidently the BSOD situation resolved itself. 15 minutes later I left with my own car. Everything seems back to normal, but it's definitely disconcerting when the touch screens are unavailable. I'll chalk this up to the electrical gremlins that accompany new technology. On an up note the screens matched the Navarra Blue nicely. :o

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...50cd363854.jpg

GK12345EMAIL 04-04-2019 07:28 PM

Did you by any chance press the garage door button (steering wheel or Mmi screen) while in reverse ?

i did that (steering wheel button preset for garage door) while in reverse and the camera turned of and would not come back on, even after turning off waiting 5 mins and restarting

it finally resolved itself in about 45 minutes (car was off the entire time)

aside from from that it has been great

I had 3-4 similar issues in my nearly 3 year ownership of the q7.

SYMAWD 04-04-2019 08:10 PM

There is a TSB for this. It basically says let the car go to sleep, it may take several cycles. Basically, turn the car off, lock it, and try again after about 10 minutes.

Chiclet11 04-05-2019 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL (Post 25299073)
Did you by any chance press the garage door button (steering wheel or Mmi screen) while in reverse ?.....

Nope. It happened on startup before doing anything else.

Originally Posted by SYMAWD (Post 25299088)
There is a TSB for this. It basically says let the car go to sleep, it may take several cycles. Basically, turn the car off, lock it, and try again after about 10 minutes.

Thanks for letting me know this. It's likely why the issue resolved itself at the dealership. To be clear: Do I understand correctly that the only solution per the TSB is to lock it up, wait 10 minutes, and if necessary, lather - rinse - repeat?

SYMAWD 04-05-2019 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chiclet11 (Post 25299185)
Nope. It happened on startup before doing anything else.

Thanks for letting me know this. It's likely why the issue resolved itself at the dealership. To be clear: Do I understand correctly that the only solution per the TSB is to lock it up, wait 10 minutes, and if necessary, lather - rinse - repeat?

At least from what I can see, yes. The 10 minutes part isn't in there, but that is a sufficient time for the system to sleep.

Chiclet11 04-05-2019 07:49 AM

Thank you @SYMAWD ! Your contributions are invaluable.

jrjunior31 04-05-2019 10:28 AM

My screens have gone dead (black) a few times and it is disconcerting because you lose so many controls. This is obviously the biggest downfall of not having a standard HVAC w knobs and switches. They’ve never gone blue like this though and they’ve come back with a reboot of the MMI or shutting off the car and re-starting.

angrypengu 04-06-2019 03:37 AM

TSB 2054009/1

Customer states:

• Both MMI screens turned blue.
• Everything is displayed correctly in the
instrument cluster.

Workshop findings:
The blue screen will go away after a bus sleep cycle has been performed.
No DTCs are stored in the information electronics control module 1, J794 (address word 005F).

Technical Background
A software bug can cause a buffer overflow in the display driver.

Production Solution
Improved software is in preparation.

Service
The problem is caused by a buffer overflow in the display driver, mostly due to multiple short ignition cycles. To resolve the problem, let the vehicle go to sleep for 10 – 15 minutes. It might take multiple sleep cycles to resolve. Since the type of operation causing this problem is more likely to occur in a showroom situation or during vehicle delivery, it is highly unlikely that the customer will experience the same problem again.

Chiclet11 04-06-2019 03:59 AM

^^^ Thanks for posting this.

rds 04-07-2019 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL (Post 25299073)
Did you by any chance press the garage door button (steering wheel or Mmi screen) while in reverse ?

i did that (steering wheel button preset for garage door) while in reverse and the camera turned of and would not come back on, even after turning off waiting 5 mins and restarting

it finally resolved itself in about 45 minutes (car was off the entire time)

aside from from that it has been great

I had 3-4 similar issues in my nearly 3 year ownership of the q7.

Had similar issue with cameras turned off - already 2 times in 300 km they go black and did not come back after restarting car (all cameras - rear front side etc). I had to close car - wait like 30 min and than it was working again.
I read obd codes and it was LVDS cable, no signal , code B1102F0
I will be reporting this to the dealer. I did not delete codes so they know what was the problem.

Anyone know how to restart MMI TOUCH? It would help. In Q7 it was like 3 keys pressed same time and MMI was restaring - it was big help in few situations.