Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cracked Windshield

I'm up to about 2,500 miles on my Q8. Took it on its first rough road (not a trail) yesterday, had suspension in off road. Nobody on the road in front of me. I get to the end of the rough road, and set suspension back to auto, and look up, and I'm watching a large crack starting from the back of the rearview mirror and going sideways in both directions. My passenger and I are certain that nothing hit the front of the car (and, as noted, there was nobody else on the road). Could there have been a bit of protrusion from the sensor/control box behind the mirror, where a part possibly made contact while the Q8 jostled a bit going down the road (at a max of 25MPH). Not looking forward to the/expense of replacement.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

On inspection the dealer should be able to identify an impact point (or not). If not, there is a good case it was a stress crack and possibly a warranty item.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

These large windshields are prone to cracks imo. Why I carry full glass coverage. The middle of the window is a dead give away imo. I just hope they dont try to use the BS pen test. Where they take a ballpoint pen and claim to find a divot from a rock in the crack.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Elementalism
These large windshields are prone to cracks imo. Why I carry full glass coverage. The middle of the window is a dead give away imo. I just hope they dont try to use the BS pen test. Where they take a ballpoint pen and claim to find a divot from a rock in the crack.
Total BS with the pen. Back in like'90 got a new Miata on way home noticed a crack as we drove basically around the corner. They didn't want to pay for it took out a pen and traced it. Saw a small divot. I laughed at him and said really? I then told him I would leave the car parked in front of the showroom with a sign. They agreed to fix it.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lungs414
Total BS with the pen. Back in like'90 got a new Miata on way home noticed a crack as we drove basically around the corner. They didn't want to pay for it took out a pen and traced it. Saw a small divot. I laughed at him and said really? I then told him I would leave the car parked in front of the showroom with a sign. They agreed to fix it.
I learned about this pen test with a CX-5. The window cracked in the middle at the bottom on a very cold morning. He comes back and claims we found the issue. My immediate response was "It better not be that BS pen test.". His face turned red. They refused to fix it and one of a few reasons Ill never buy a Mazda again. I had already read page after page about the CX-5 windshield cracking right up the middle from either the top or bottom. And all got that same crap about a pen test finding a divot and they refusing to cover it under warranty. And like clockwork that is how it went down.

Sounds like it must be Mazdas policy to screw their customers. I expect Audi to treat their customers better. Hope the OP keeps us updated what Audi says.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked window on Q8

Hi

so same thing happen to me although I didn’t see it my car was parked on drive since midday and next morning I have crack same as you describe
did you get a resolution?

Originally Posted by ems4ohio
I'm up to about 2,500 miles on my Q8. Took it on its first rough road (not a trail) yesterday, had suspension in off road. Nobody on the road in front of me. I get to the end of the rough road, and set suspension back to auto, and look up, and I'm watching a large crack starting from the back of the rearview mirror and going sideways in both directions. My passenger and I are certain that nothing hit the front of the car (and, as noted, there was nobody else on the road). Could there have been a bit of protrusion from the sensor/control box behind the mirror, where a part possibly made contact while the Q8 jostled a bit going down the road (at a max of 25MPH). Not looking forward to the/expense of replacement.