Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Does Q8 have hands free tailgate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did get it to work but not consistently. I will try again once I get my car back from getting it’s ceramic pro coating.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

i have found it to work as advertised no problems as at
Old 12-05-2018, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

yes...mine is working well using a kick slightly to the left of center under the rear bumper to both open and close it.
i was also glad to see i can close the tailgate by pulling and holding up on the inside door switch (as long as the car is on, doesn't work if engine is off)
Old 12-05-2018, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhalley2010@yahoo.com
yes...mine is working well using a kick slightly to the left of center under the rear bumper to both open and close it.
i was also glad to see i can close the tailgate by pulling and holding up on the inside door switch (as long as the car is on, doesn't work if engine is off)
I have the tow hitch and can only get it to open 10% of the time with this method and have never gotten it to close. I must be doing something wrong. Nice tip on closing from the cabin I didn’t realize that.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So glad to hear I am not the only one!

Originally Posted by jrjunior31

I have the tow hitch and can only get it to open 10% of the time with this method and have never gotten it to close. I must be doing something wrong. Nice tip on closing from the cabin I didn’t realize that.
Ugh, I got my q8 in November and I have tried to figure the same thing. I, too, have the toe hitch. I can't tell you home many times I have stood behind my car, looking like a fool, trying, and failing, to get it open. I will try the advice given here. I am also having issues with the app and my car. My app stopped "connecting to my car" when I try to remote lock and unlock. It worked the first week.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, got it to work 1 out of 30 times
Old 12-14-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by SherylR
Ugh, I got my q8 in November and I have tried to figure the same thing. I, too, have the toe hitch. I can't tell you home many times I have stood behind my car, looking like a fool, trying, and failing, to get it open. I will try the advice given here. I am also having issues with the app and my car. My app stopped "connecting to my car" when I try to remote lock and unlock. It worked the first week.
The hands free tailgate is useless on my car I tried everything. The remote lock from the app didn’t work for me either I tried it once, the app gets all
jammed up.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This is frustrating considering the cost of the car. Ugh.
I think I have the exact same car as you...color, package, etc.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I too had problems opening the tailgate hands free. Brought my car to the dealer. In my case, the problem is that I was not kicking "deep" enough under the bumper. I can now get sesame to open almost every time. I kick just left of the tow hitch, but I also swipe my foot towards the left (as if I wanted to get an object out of the way), and then take a step back. It is important that nobody of nothing be close to the tailgate otherwise it will not open. So if e.g. your baked up against a wall, other car, etc., the tailgate might not open hands free. Hands free works regardless if the car is running or not, unlocked or not, etc. just have to have my key in my pocket.

The dealer told me the tailgate does not however close hands free. But jackhalley2010 says it does. I will try it and see.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am beginning to think I will need some awesome gymnastics moves to make this work lol!!! I will try to advice! Still can't get my app to lock and unlock so maybe there is hope for these two issues! Love my car though!!! Thanks so much!

Quick Reply: Does Q8 have hands free tailgate?