Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Drive System: Malfunction!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Drive System: Malfunction!

On my way to work today I had a "Drive System: Malfunction! Please contact Service" message pop up on the display. I was coming to a stop at an off ramp preparing to merge into traffic. I stepped on the gas and my Q8 didn't accelerate like it should. At first I thought I was the lag issue but it ended up being something more. The engine started sputtering and the car was lunging and I could not get over 15 mph. Once I found a safe place I pulled over, shut the engine off for about a minute, then restarted and everything seemed fine. I finished my drive to work (about a mile) with no issues but when I got out I smelled a burning smell. Nothing noticeable other than that.

Once get time today I will schedule an appointment for service.

Anybody else experience this?
The following users liked this post:
Donna Glaesener (05-02-2021)
Old 03-19-2019, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by d2000one
On my way to work today I had a "Drive System: Malfunction! Please contact Service" message pop up on the display. I was coming to a stop at an off ramp preparing to merge into traffic. I stepped on the gas and my Q8 didn't accelerate like it should. At first I thought I was the lag issue but it ended up being something more. The engine started sputtering and the car was lunging and I could not get over 15 mph. Once I found a safe place I pulled over, shut the engine off for about a minute, then restarted and everything seemed fine. I finished my drive to work (about a mile) with no issues but when I got out I smelled a burning smell. Nothing noticeable other than that.

I know someone indirectly who’s a technician at a local Audi dealership. When I first got the car he mentioned there’s a design flaw in the exhaust system of the Q8. He said there’s a plastic component that’s too close to the exhaust and it melts. I don’t have any other details (the info came to me from the techs brother, I don’t know the actual technician), but the burning smell makes me wonder if this could be the issue he was describing. How many miles on your Q8?
Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jrjunior31

I know someone indirectly who’s a technician at a local Audi dealership. When I first got the car he mentioned there’s a design flaw in the exhaust system of the Q8. He said there’s a plastic component that’s too close to the exhaust and it melts. I don’t have any other details (the info came to me from the techs brother, I don’t know the actual technician), but the burning smell makes me wonder if this could be the issue he was describing. How many miles on your Q8?
Almost 7000 miles
Old 03-21-2019, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Any updates?
Old 03-22-2019, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by d2000one

Those were exactly the same symptoms I had when the turbos failed on my A8. I'm not trying to alarm you, but get to the dealer and get it checked out.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Everything has been fine since the incident. I contacted my service rep and scheduled an appointment for first week of April. They don't seem to think it's a big deal. I reached out to another dealership and they didn't think it was a big deal either. We shall see...
Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that exact same error message 4 days into owning the car and with only 200 miles on the car. Except mine didn't go away with turning the car off. I took it into the dealership a month ago and still have not gotten it back. They have no idea what's wrong with it. Makes me think theres a fundamental serious issue with these cars that's going to start showing up....
Old 03-25-2019, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by asetareh
I had that exact same error message 4 days into owning the car and with only 200 miles on the car. Except mine didn't go away with turning the car off. I took it into the dealership a month ago and still have not gotten it back. They have no idea what's wrong with it. Makes me think theres a fundamental serious issue with these cars that's going to start showing up....
So why not lemon law the car and order/buy another one? A month in the shop for a brand new car with 200 miles on it is outrageous. Have them buy it back and get another one.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dwboston
So why not lemon law the car and order/buy another one? A month in the shop for a brand new car with 200 miles on it is outrageous. Have them buy it back and get another one.
Every state is different. In CA that’s a Lemon but in TX it may not be.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you give it gas when the engine was cold?

Quick Reply: Drive System: Malfunction!