Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Drive System: Malfunction!

 
Old 03-19-2019, 07:51 AM
  #1  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 82
Default Drive System: Malfunction!

On my way to work today I had a "Drive System: Malfunction! Please contact Service" message pop up on the display. I was coming to a stop at an off ramp preparing to merge into traffic. I stepped on the gas and my Q8 didn't accelerate like it should. At first I thought I was the lag issue but it ended up being something more. The engine started sputtering and the car was lunging and I could not get over 15 mph. Once I found a safe place I pulled over, shut the engine off for about a minute, then restarted and everything seemed fine. I finished my drive to work (about a mile) with no issues but when I got out I smelled a burning smell. Nothing noticeable other than that.

Once get time today I will schedule an appointment for service.

Anybody else experience this?
d2000one is online now  
Old 03-19-2019, 11:22 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Member
 
jrjunior31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 515
Default

Originally Posted by d2000one View Post
On my way to work today I had a "Drive System: Malfunction! Please contact Service" message pop up on the display. I was coming to a stop at an off ramp preparing to merge into traffic. I stepped on the gas and my Q8 didn't accelerate like it should. At first I thought I was the lag issue but it ended up being something more. The engine started sputtering and the car was lunging and I could not get over 15 mph. Once I found a safe place I pulled over, shut the engine off for about a minute, then restarted and everything seemed fine. I finished my drive to work (about a mile) with no issues but when I got out I smelled a burning smell. Nothing noticeable other than that.

Once get time today I will schedule an appointment for service.

Anybody else experience this?
I know someone indirectly whoís a technician at a local Audi dealership. When I first got the car he mentioned thereís a design flaw in the exhaust system of the Q8. He said thereís a plastic component thatís too close to the exhaust and it melts. I donít have any other details (the info came to me from the techs brother, I donít know the actual technician), but the burning smell makes me wonder if this could be the issue he was describing. How many miles on your Q8?
jrjunior31 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 AM
  #3  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 82
Default

Originally Posted by jrjunior31 View Post


I know someone indirectly whoís a technician at a local Audi dealership. When I first got the car he mentioned thereís a design flaw in the exhaust system of the Q8. He said thereís a plastic component thatís too close to the exhaust and it melts. I donít have any other details (the info came to me from the techs brother, I donít know the actual technician), but the burning smell makes me wonder if this could be the issue he was describing. How many miles on your Q8?
Almost 7000 miles
d2000one is online now  
Old 03-21-2019, 11:08 PM
  #4  
AudiWorld Member
 
jrjunior31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 515
Default

Any updates?
jrjunior31 is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 04:09 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Member
 
dwboston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 393
Default

Originally Posted by d2000one View Post
On my way to work today I had a "Drive System: Malfunction! Please contact Service" message pop up on the display. I was coming to a stop at an off ramp preparing to merge into traffic. I stepped on the gas and my Q8 didn't accelerate like it should. At first I thought I was the lag issue but it ended up being something more. The engine started sputtering and the car was lunging and I could not get over 15 mph. Once I found a safe place I pulled over, shut the engine off for about a minute, then restarted and everything seemed fine. I finished my drive to work (about a mile) with no issues but when I got out I smelled a burning smell. Nothing noticeable other than that.

Once get time today I will schedule an appointment for service.

Anybody else experience this?
Those were exactly the same symptoms I had when the turbos failed on my A8. I'm not trying to alarm you, but get to the dealer and get it checked out.
dwboston is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 07:30 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 82
Default

Everything has been fine since the incident. I contacted my service rep and scheduled an appointment for first week of April. They don't seem to think it's a big deal. I reached out to another dealership and they didn't think it was a big deal either. We shall see...
d2000one is online now  
Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 PM
  #7  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
Default

I had that exact same error message 4 days into owning the car and with only 200 miles on the car. Except mine didn't go away with turning the car off. I took it into the dealership a month ago and still have not gotten it back. They have no idea what's wrong with it. Makes me think theres a fundamental serious issue with these cars that's going to start showing up....
asetareh is offline  
Old 03-25-2019, 06:24 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Member
 
dwboston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 393
Default

Originally Posted by asetareh View Post
I had that exact same error message 4 days into owning the car and with only 200 miles on the car. Except mine didn't go away with turning the car off. I took it into the dealership a month ago and still have not gotten it back. They have no idea what's wrong with it. Makes me think theres a fundamental serious issue with these cars that's going to start showing up....
So why not lemon law the car and order/buy another one? A month in the shop for a brand new car with 200 miles on it is outrageous. Have them buy it back and get another one.
dwboston is offline  
Old 03-25-2019, 09:03 AM
  #9  
AudiWorld Member
 
jrjunior31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 515
Default

Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
So why not lemon law the car and order/buy another one? A month in the shop for a brand new car with 200 miles on it is outrageous. Have them buy it back and get another one.
Every state is different. In CA thatís a Lemon but in TX it may not be.
jrjunior31 is offline  
Old 03-25-2019, 10:25 AM
  #10  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 90
Default

did you give it gas when the engine was cold?
landragon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drive System: Malfunction!


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: