Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Drive System: Malfunction!

Old 03-25-2019, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by asetareh View Post
I had that exact same error message 4 days into owning the car and with only 200 miles on the car. Except mine didn't go away with turning the car off. I took it into the dealership a month ago and still have not gotten it back. They have no idea what's wrong with it. Makes me think theres a fundamental serious issue with these cars that's going to start showing up....
That's quite different from your post a couple of weeks back:

Originally Posted by asetareh View Post
Hey everyone. I've been registered here for years as I've owned several Audis over the years, but have never really posted. I wanted to see if anyone else has had a problem similar to mine.

So I leased a 2019 Q8 a couple of weeks ago, brand new. Drove it for 5 days and absolutely loved everything about it. The ride was great. Interior top notch. Just an all around amazing car. About five days into having it, I get a Drivetrain error on the dash and a message stating that revs are limited to 3500 RPM. I immediately take it to the dealership as I just happened to be driving past it at the moment on my way home.

This was almost 3 weeks ago, and I still have not gotten the car back. Apparently some kind of harness needs to be replaced, and this had to be ordered from Germany and is taking forever to get. I guess I've been pretty lucky in the past with cars and not really having major issues, so this has me a little worried/concerned. For the car to have such a big issue so early in ownership seems kind of odd. I mean the car didn't even have 200 miles on it yet. Has anyone had any similar experiences, be it with this car or others in the past?

To the dealership's credit, they have been amazing as far as getting me into a loaner and making sure I was accommodated. I know it's not their fault that the car is so new and parts are so hard to get. But it's definitely been very frustrating and really taken the joy out of the new car experience. Now I just hope I'm not going to continue having issues.
Your message, and symptoms, were not the same as the OPs, and your car's fault seems to have been diagnosed within 24 hours. Your delay was waiting for a part to come from Germany. Has the part arrived, yet not fixed the problem? What is your basis for determining there is a fundamental serious issue with this model? The OP did not get a message to reduce rpm (this is a "gentle" fault state), his car started cutting out, and he was getting a burning smell. Neither of you mentioned whether the warning symbol (which should have been a triangle with an exclamation mark) was yellow or red.

The EA838 engine has been in production for almost 3 years. First with the Panamera, then the S4, S5, SQ5, Cayenne, C8 A6 and A7, and the D5 A8. All except the Panamera are used with a ZF8HP transmission. Every Audi is also using self-locking centre diff quattro (Porsche use a crappy clutch based system for AWD), and all are MLB Evo platform cars, except the Panamera which is on an MSB platform. Point being nothing is quite as new and different as you may be supposing.

Doesn't diminish the angst you and the OP are experiencing with new cars. That AoA don't seem to build up much of a parts inventory for a new model isn't good. That it took a month for a part to arrive from Germany is terrible. DHL (which is ironically owned by the German postal service) can get a shipment from Germany to the US in 24 hours.

But I think its a bit early with the Q8 to be waving hands in the air and shouting out that the sky is falling
Old 03-25-2019, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse View Post

Your message, and symptoms, were not the same as the OPs, and your car's fault seems to have been diagnosed within 24 hours. Your delay was waiting for a part to come from Germany. Has the part arrived, yet not fixed the problem? What is your basis for determining there is a fundamental serious issue with this model? The OP did not get a message to reduce rpm (this is a "gentle" fault state), his car started cutting out, and he was getting a burning smell. Neither of you mentioned whether the warning symbol (which should have been a triangle with an exclamation mark) was yellow or red.

The EA838 engine has been in production for almost 3 years. First with the Panamera, then the S4, S5, SQ5, Cayenne, C8 A6 and A7, and the D5 A8. All except the Panamera are used with a ZF8HP transmission. Every Audi is also using self-locking centre diff quattro (Porsche use a crappy clutch based system for AWD), and all are MLB Evo platform cars, except the Panamera which is on an MSB platform. Point being nothing is quite as new and different as you may be supposing.

Doesn't diminish the angst you and the OP are experiencing with new cars. That AoA don't seem to build up much of a parts inventory for a new model isn't good. That it took a month for a part to arrive from Germany is terrible. DHL (which is ironically owned by the German postal service) can get a shipment from Germany to the US in 24 hours.

But I think its a bit early with the Q8 to be waving hands in the air and shouting out that the sky is falling
These kind of posts are why we are all here. You obviously have a wealth of knowledge about VAG cars, thank you for sharing.

Last edited by jrjunior31; 03-25-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's not the E838 engine, it's the EA839 engine.

These engines are not as bulletproof as you make it seem.

This is a recent TSB:

15 Oil leak from cylinder head - 2.9 and 3.0TFSI only

Customer statement:
• Oil loss in area around the engine compartment, front end, and underbody.
• Oil level warning (too low).
• Smell from engine compartment.
Workshop findings:
• Leak in area around the cylinder head cover, valve cover, and cylinder head.
• Leak in area around the injector.
• Leak in area around the Audi valvelift system actuator.
Technical Background
Metal shavings produced during manufacture in sealing groove between cylinder head cover and the cylinder
head.
Production Solution
Improved production processes.
Service
As the oil loss in the area of the cylinder head cover may involve two different issues, proceed as follows to
clearly determine the source of the leak.
1. Remove the engine compartment cover and the heat shield below it.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by d2000one View Post
On my way to work today I had a "Drive System: Malfunction! Please contact Service" message pop up on the display. I was coming to a stop at an off ramp preparing to merge into traffic. I stepped on the gas and my Q8 didn't accelerate like it should. At first I thought I was the lag issue but it ended up being something more. The engine started sputtering and the car was lunging and I could not get over 15 mph. Once I found a safe place I pulled over, shut the engine off for about a minute, then restarted and everything seemed fine. I finished my drive to work (about a mile) with no issues but when I got out I smelled a burning smell. Nothing noticeable other than that.

Once get time today I will schedule an appointment for service.

Anybody else experience this?
This issue is addressed in a recent TSB.

See: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post25293641

Different model, same issue.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu View Post
It's not the E838 engine, it's the EA839 engine.

You are wrong. The EA839 is the 2.9 litre engine. Don't bother checking back on the draft erWin (USA version) self-study guide you posted last year, that is wrong too. I didn't bother correcting you then, but I will now.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You are wrong. The EA839 is the 2.9 litre engine. Don't bother checking back on the draft erWin (USA version) self-study guide you posted last year, that is wrong too. I didn't bother correcting you then, but I will now.
You clearly need to do more research, and before you allege I'm wrong, I've gone through almost every single technical memo there is on erWin.

From Erwin, effective FEB 2019.

And another:

If you're going to call someone out, you a) better be right and b) you better have proof rather than using words. There's mine. Where's yours?

Last edited by angrypengu; 03-27-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu View Post
You clearly need to do more research, and before you allege I'm wrong, ..

If you're going to call someone out, you a) better be right and b) you better have proof rather than using words. There's mine. Where's yours?
It says so on my t-shirt.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by d2000one View Post
On my way to work today I had a "Drive System: Malfunction! Please contact Service" message pop up on the display. I was coming to a stop at an off ramp preparing to merge into traffic. I stepped on the gas and my Q8 didn't accelerate like it should. At first I thought I was the lag issue but it ended up being something more. The engine started sputtering and the car was lunging and I could not get over 15 mph. Once I found a safe place I pulled over, shut the engine off for about a minute, then restarted and everything seemed fine. I finished my drive to work (about a mile) with no issues but when I got out I smelled a burning smell. Nothing noticeable other than that.

Once get time today I will schedule an appointment for service.

Anybody else experience this?

I just picked up my brand new Q8 on April 24, 2019. On May 8th, there was the car system malfunction, then it stopped in the middle of the road!
it is now with the service, they said it’s the fuel pump and need to order the part from Europe.

Is it the same problem as yours?
Old 05-13-2019, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kitty View Post
I just picked up my brand new Q8 on April 24, 2019. On May 8th, there was the car system malfunction, then it stopped in the middle of the road!
it is now with the service, they said it’s the fuel pump and need to order the part from Europe.

Hope this isn’t going to become an epidemic. I got a “drive system malfunction - contact service” message one night on the way home. Restarted & it went away. Came back the next day, but again it reset. On my way to the dealer the whole dash lit up with error messages, ACC wouldn’t work, etc.
Dealer diagnosed it as a faulty “fuel control module” which wasn’t available in the US & would take 3 weeks to arrive from Germany.
Turned out the part arrived about 8 days later, they got it installed in a couple hours & I got my car back.
Since DHL can get things here from overseas overnight, I can only assume this part didn’t exist anywhere & they had to manufacture it. I wonder if they got a bad batch ?

Last edited by Cadx6; 05-15-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kitty View Post

Similar message but symptoms not the same. Mine did not completely stop... it sort of went into a limp home mode with very little power. After I restarted it everything was fine. There is a service bulletin that address this issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drive System: Malfunction!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: