Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Driver Assistance Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was very concerned about this too when i was considering getting the q8. I had tested the Tesla X and was extremely impressed with its ability to stay in the center of the lane. When I test drove a q7 way back i was not very impressed, but i think the "early" setting was not chosen by the salesman and i didn't know any better at that time to choose it. So when i got the q8 i was worried but fortunately all my fears were erased when i learned how to use it. The q8 doesn't have an "early" choice like the q7, but its standard setting is very good. When using adaptive cruise control w/ lane guidance below and/or above 40mph, the car does a great job at staying in the center of the lane expect for super sharp turns, but 99% i feel safe about its ability to stay centered. off of adaptive cruise control and only using the lane keep function, there is a ping ponging effect. i find myself using the adaptive cruise control with lane guidance a lot just like most tesla users do and am very satisfied with it in traffic and highway driving situations. i just hope that the level 3 autonomy stuff that the europeans get to experience will be opened up to us with a software update down the road.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default AUdi DAS Calibration

I came across the following video that may be applicable to some of our DAS issues: https://rts.i-car.com/collision-repa...teve-zack.html
The calibration procedure must be conducted during a fairly exacting drive at a given speed and road conditions. It is not an easy process and there may be issues with it being conducted properly which may explain why some of us have the problems and others don't. I would appreciate any insight others may have with the video and calibration procedure and its applicability. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2020 Q5 Prestige has the annoying habit when I have the adaptive cruise and lane keeping function activated. The care wants to veer to the right when I am approaching an expressway exit. It seems to default to the right (passenger) side lane markings, even though the left (driver) side lane markings remain straight. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I love this feature, trading my previous vehicle early to get the driver assistance package. However, the safety benefits of driving assistance seem to be somewhat diminished by this quirk.

Last edited by Fatz2fly; 02-11-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fatz2fly
My 2020 Q5 Prestige has the annoying habit when I have the adaptive cruise and lane keeping function activated. The care wants to veer to the right when I am approaching an expressway exit. It seems to default to the right (passenger) side lane markings, even though the left (driver) side lane markings remain straight. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I love this feature, trading my previous vehicle early to get the driver assistance package. However, the safety benefits of driving assistance seem to be somewhat diminished by this quirk.
I have a 2019 Q8 with the same problem and it is also reported by other owners. There is a very complex calibration procedure that may help somewhat but it seems to drift off over time. On my Q8 the problem does not occur if the Lane Centering function is off (top left stalk button on the end). I consider it to be a significant hazard! It only happens when the vehicle loses the left lane perimeter (white to green on the display). I believe the Q5 may use similar system components and it definitely has the problem since I saw it on a test drive. I can provide details on the calibration procedure if there is interest. I leave the function off all the time.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only time I notice the lane keeping problem is when I come up on a freeway exit ramp or a highway intersection, where there is a break in the right side lane line. That is when it wants to veer right. Occasionally, it loses one lane edge or the other during the tracking process. I can see the left edge or right edge transition from green to grey in the heads up display. When that happens, I will get an alert that lane keeping is temporarily inactive. In those cases, I have not experienced any veering to one side or the other. I will have to check with the Audi dealer on this issue.
Old 08-03-2023, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2023 audi q8 veering to the left

I drive audi q8 2023 model, it has been couple months now; the problem i notice with the driver assistance is whenever i approach an intersection driving straight down & there is a left turn lane coming up, the car veers to the left turn lane. It happens most of the time regardless of the speed. I see the other problem that the others mentioned as well, the situation on the freeway when there is a exit ramp coming up.

I am specifically worried about the first problem as it happens at lower speed while driving around inside the city as well which i frequently do.

I just dropped my car at the dealership today, hope can fix the calibration.
Old 08-03-2023, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dolphinkumz
I drive audi q8 2023 model, it has been couple months now; the problem i notice with the driver assistance is whenever i approach an intersection driving straight down & there is a left turn lane coming up, the car veers to the left turn lane. It happens most of the time regardless of the speed. I see the other problem that the others mentioned as well, the situation on the freeway when there is a exit ramp coming up.

I am specifically worried about the first problem as it happens at lower speed while driving around inside the city as well which i frequently do.

WOW - Mine was several years old and i am really surprised that those problems haven't been fixed. My dealer attempted to get support unsuccessfully. Sorry to hear the problems still exist.
Old 08-04-2023, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinkumz

If you are experiencing a left turn lane (vs. a right-hand exit ramp) this means you are not likely on a limited access highway which is where the system is intended to be used. It does not recognize or handle traffic lights which is why it is primarily for highway use