Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Driver Assistance Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2018 A6 2.0: Agreed. It just nudges you into your lane. If the turn signal is on it disables the nudge. If not just drive over the steering wheel pressure. The ACC is great on the LIE. It's driver assistance not driver replacement. I need a place for my right foot though.

Why does the radio keep turning on? Does Sirius pay Audi for involuntary radio starts?
Old 10-31-2018, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

No question you can overpower the steering assist. But as in my example trying to move a bit so you are not so close to a cyclist, if you are not thinking about counteracting the steering assist, it is easy for the system to pull you back the other way a couple feet, which could be all you have between you and the cyclist.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Driver Assistance Update

My Q8 had serious issues with the Lane Centering function & abruptly swerving off the road onto exits. After a number of calibrations & a software update, the Lane Centering function is performing as it should. The swerve off the road only happens every week or two so I am not sure that has been fixed, but I am hopeful & will update this thread accordingly. I have only had the car back from service for a day.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucci
I have found the same to be true in my 2017 and 2018 Q7's, I expect the same from my Q8 when i get it.
Just about as bad, is that when cruising down a freeway in the right lane, there are times the traffic sign recognition picks up the speed on the sign meant for those exiting.
The first couple times that happened to me I had no clue why my vehicle started to slow down quite quickly!
Now i am aware and usually can prevent the car from slowing down before i reset the speed.
it will only slow if you have that enabled in MMI to obey posted speed limits.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have to say that my Q8 has all of the same bad characteristics that my 17 and 18 Q7's had. I am not saying i don't like the feature overall, but there are some bad points to be aware of. I do not feel the Q8 has any improvements in this feature at all.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

My Q8 has not swerved onto a major highway exit or set an exit speed, but I have not been on major highways much and the 2 lane highway I drive on regularly does not have exit speed limit signs. I noticed ping pongs on a major highway within the lane and crossing the lane markings driving home from the dealer after purchase. I am really pleased with the speed limit tracking and following. It isn't perfect, but it is very helpful. I had a 2018 Q7 loaner during the week long calibrations and software mods and it had the very same problems with one severe swerve onto an exit. I am hopeful the swerve problem is also fixed on my vehicle, but as I said it only occurs every week or two and I will keep you posted. It was kind of like pulling hens teeth, but I am really pleased that it was fixed. I also have dash cam videos of the problems.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
it will only slow if you have that enabled in MMI to obey posted speed limits.
I know, I like that part of the tech though, i just want it to use the posted speed limit for the road I am on.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

So set it to obey with tolerence allowed instead

I suspect with all these relatively new sensors and such on the cars, there will be some infrastructure and software updates combined needed to make things work more seamlesslh

I spent 4.5 hours yesterday between a Q8 and Q7 Prestige on the interstate. Heavy traffic and light (driving from PA to NJ trading cars with a dealer). Had the cruise set on both, had no issues even when exiting or coming to red lights in traffic.

What I do wish it would recognize is if I’m behind a car, and we are slowing for ez pass or a light, car ahead moves over, it would be nice if the car continued to slow. but I guess it’s not at that level just yet
Old 12-14-2018, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sure there are workarounds if you do not want the item to work as it was intended. I am not complaining so much as letting folks know what to expect.
If you are driving down the interstate where the speed limit is 70 and the exit ramp has a speed limit of 30 the tolerance setting is not going to alleviate the issue.
But if you are coming to a school zone and you have a tolerance of 20 MPH set, it could be an issue, both of these scenarios can be overcome by paying attention and a little input but then that is exactly what it takes if you don't have the feature at all.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

I suspect with all these relatively new sensors and such on the cars, there will be some infrastructure and software updates combined needed to make things work more seamlesslh

I spent 4.5 hours yesterday between a Q8 and Q7 Prestige on the interstate. Heavy traffic and light (driving from PA to NJ trading cars with a dealer). Had the cruise set on both, had no issues even when exiting or coming to red lights in traffic.

What I do wish it would recognize is if I’m behind a car, and we are slowing for ez pass or a light, car ahead moves over, it would be nice if the car continued to slow. but I guess it’s not at that level just yet
What stands out to you as the biggest differences between the two vehicles?

Quick Reply: Driver Assistance Question