Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Driver Assistance Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 788 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by cbl1
Update playing with on highway today.

Setting the adaptive cruise to Sport mode seemed to really help with the issue. Also the steering selection has a little to do with it as well with sport in steering holding better than comfort. Setting ride control to auto or dynamic held well.

So with adaptive cruise set to sport in driver assist settings and drive control in Auto I was very pleased with results. It actually adjusted smoother than the q7 I had as loaner.

I'm good on this one now.
Your use of the word "it" has now confused me more than ever. What is now smoother? Lane to lane wobbliness or?
Old 01-16-2019, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes less ping pong wobbliness

Example: With steering in comfort and Adaptive cruise not in sport mode. I tend to see the car drift to a line … overcompensate and drift to opposite line … then overcompensate and drift to the original line (ping pong drifting).

With drive control in Auto or Dynamic (so steering not in comfort I would assume) … then with Adaptive Cruise control set into sport mode. The car will drift toward line … move back slightly off the line …. then hold the the line pretty well (near center of lane) and never drift as far as the opposite line.

I think where I had been disappointed in past is … being on highway I think Comfort as drive setting should be best so I've always been in Comfort when testing (I'm leaving in Auto now on highway). Then of course I have no idea what parameters having Adaptive Cruise in sport changes … but it seems to definitely improve responsiveness.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Example: With steering in comfort and Adaptive cruise not in sport mode. I tend to see the car drift to a line … overcompensate and drift to opposite line … then overcompensate and drift to the original line (ping pong drifting).

With drive control in Auto or Dynamic (so steering not in comfort I would assume) … then with Adaptive Cruise control set into sport mode. The car will drift toward line … move back slightly off the line …. then hold the the line pretty well (near center of lane) and never drift as far as the opposite line.
Thanks. This detail is very helpful. I went from wanting to now buy the driver's assistance package in my D5 to now going back and thanking myself I didn't buy it.

I would not run the car in any mode other than comfort, so while good for the community here that you learned something new (And thanks for sharing), it doesn't help me, sadly. Oh well.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Auto drive mode seems to be good for highway and works well with what I want.

Personally - I wouldn't get an Audi without driver assist. When I talk about the ping ponging - this is in extreme cases where paying no attention to steering. You should keep your hand on the wheel not do as I'm testing and with hand on wheel no matter what mode it is great for keeping you in lanes. With hand on wheel the car doesn't overcompensate. Its only with light touch or no hand on steering wheel that what I'm talking about even applies. Driving down the highway with lane keep and adaptive cruise control makes interstate driving very enjoyable.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Auto drive mode seems to be good for highway and works well with what I want.

Personally - I wouldn't get it without driver assist. When I talk about the ping ponging - this is in extreme cases where paying no attention to steering. You should keep your hand on the wheel not do as I'm testing and with hand on wheel no matter what mode it is great for keeping you in lanes. With hand on wheel the car doesn't overcompensate. Its only with light touch or no hand on steering wheel that what I'm talking about even applies. Driving down the highway with lane keep and adaptive cruise control makes interstate driving very enjoyable.
For sure. My other beef with the driver's assistance packages of 2019 have more to do with other variables not concerning ping ponging. That just adds to it.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
For sure. My other beef with the driver's assistance packages of 2019 have more to do with other variables not concerning ping ponging. That just adds to it.
+1
Old 01-17-2019, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I think where I had been disappointed in past is … being on highway I think Comfort as drive setting should be best so I've always been in Comfort when testing (I'm leaving in Auto now on highway). Then of course I have no idea what parameters having Adaptive Cruise in sport changes … but it seems to definitely improve responsiveness.
Thanks for the very informative post. After applying your recommended settings my Q8 Lane Guidance behaves exactly as you describe which is a big improvement! Unfortunately, the abrupt swerves off the road remain unless I disable Lane Guidance completely. The latter is a bigger problem and a safety hazard. It also seems dumber than dirt to have to set particular DAS settings to get Lane Guidance to work properly. What I found interesting is that the inexplicable loss of lane perimeter markings does not appear to affect Lane Guidance with your settings. From your findings, my guess is that there is a simple firmware fix or fixes. Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2019, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Luckily I never experience the abrupt swerve in this car or my S6 prior.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well your settings looked good for a while, but I am not getting consistent results due to what appears to be the option lighting conditions. The other thing I noticed is that in the Sport mode the car accelerates much more quickly to the detriment of mileage. I have been keeping Lane Guidance disabled which is the most comfortable for me. Its a shame Audi won't fix the Lane Guidance so that it works properly under all settings! We all paid for it. Thanks for the information though!
Old 01-24-2019, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Interesting Note

I noticed today that driving down the exact same road at night yields completely different Lane Guidance results than daytime:
1. At night, there is never a displayed loss of lane perimeter markings; always green
2. At night, the vehicle tracks down the exact center of the lane with absolutely no ping pong
3. Tracking around curves is right on the money
4. At night, the Lane Guidance performance is virtually perfect
I don't have access to the semi-autonomous feature technical details, but the daytime problems could be something as simple as the wrong f-stop setting on the camera(s), thereby reducing contrast below what it needs to be. At night, the headlights reflecting off the lines could make the difference. I noticed this phenomenon before, but didn't do an apples to apples comparison between day and night driving. The lane markings on the road are very clear with no debris or other obstructions.

Last edited by rjabend; 01-24-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Driver Assistance Question