Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Driver front door not opening properly,

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Driver front door not opening properly,

I have a random ongoing issue with my Q8. This involves a behavior that IMHO is dangerous: when I come to a complete stop - with no traffic around me - and attempt to open the door, it won't open on first try. The window makes a small movement up and down. It usually takes 3 attempts to open the door. This happens sporadically, and can happen in a parking lot when I've pulled into a space, when I pull in my garage or stop by the mailbox to pick up mail. Never is there an object that might set off a protection sensor. I was even able to produce it pulling up to the service bay at my Audi dealer!!! The tech writer seemed puzzled when it happened and he was unable to reproduce it, BUT I WAS. Very frustrating.

Backstory: I initially had a Q7 that had a continuing problem with the steering wheel. After a year of attempts to fix the problem, I stormed into the dealer's office that showed the paperwork I had amassed to officially declare in VA the car a lemon. Again after dealing with the head of VW US, who I had to beat down for him to realize the car needed replacing. I persevered and got the replacement. When the Q8 was announced it was shipping I went to the dealer to test drive and ordered one on the spot. I was giving Audi a second chance, but it now looking like I made a mistake. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

My driver door has a similar issue however it may be a safety measure if the car is still in Drive mode or if its in Park but senses oncoming traffic. I haven’t tested all the different scenarios but you are not alone on this one. Very strange. First year production vehicles are rarely without some bugs, but i’m over 5k miles and haven’t had to bring my car back for anything yet. I drive only 9k a year though and dont go on road trips.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:34 PM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

I think you need to open it more slowly. Pull the latch without pushing the door open at the same time.