Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Driving in snow renders all sensors useless?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 09:32 PM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Driving in snow renders all sensors useless?

Does it seem odd that all the safety and driver aid sensors are not heated or protected from snow and ice accumulation? Everything is rendered useless when driving in winter conditions, or am I missing something?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by f10
Does it seem odd that all the safety and driver aid sensors are not heated or protected from snow and ice accumulation? Everything is rendered useless when driving in winter conditions, or am I missing something?
Can’t speak from experience with the Q8 living in LA but it seems some of the newer Driver Aid systems are not being designed to handle extreme cold. The GO5 has a major steering intervention issue being reported in cold temperatures. Have not seen anything up until now regarding the Q8.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

I have only occasionally have had a problem with the sensors in the snow. Of course I make sure that they are clear of snow when I get in the car.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure any sensors are snow-proof, bug-proof and dirt-proof. Weren't on my BMWs. I think the Q8 has washers on the front radar, and the night vision on my Q7 has a washer that activates with the headlight washers come on, but any sensor can be overcome by external events - no heater is going to trump what would probably be -30 F when driving 40 mph in 0 degree snowy weather, pretty common in these parts. I just realize the limitations of the current technology, and drive the car myself when the sensors cut off - probably a good idea when there's enough snow and ice on the road to block the sensors.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eventually, when self driving cars are the norm, sensors will have to be self cleaning and clearing. But we're not there yet so for now we have to get out and manually clear those sensors as needed.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Verybumpy
Eventually, when self driving cars are the norm, sensors will have to be self cleaning and clearing. But we're not there yet so for now we have to get out and manually clear those sensors as needed.
Who's going to clear the road markings?

Old 02-11-2019, 10:16 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by f10
I hear that in the extreme northern climes, the plow drivers rely on GPS to keep them on the road when visually impaired by the elements. I know this has nothing to do with sensors but it's a technology used in place of.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts

I'm not a Q8 expert but on the A8 the laser scanner does have a heated element and should melt ice. It's part of the ACC system. If the Q8 has a laser scanner, it's the same deal.

That said poor performance of the system is bad conditions is why I did not buy the Driver's Assistance Package at all.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My laser scanners failed while driving in crappy weather last week and haven't come back online, despite getting the car washed and all other sensor systems back to normal.

Guess I will have to take it into the dealer to fix.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBeav
My laser scanners failed while driving in crappy weather last week and haven't come back online, despite getting the car washed and all other sensor systems back to normal.

Guess I will have to take it into the dealer to fix.
I just noticed the other day my Traffic Jam Assist didn’t work on a stretch of road I’ve used it multiple times. The parallel lines next to the car icon were white instead of green so the car would not guide itself back to the middle of the lane if I allowed it to drift. There’s been tons of rain in LA and some temps in the 30s but I’ve had the car cleaned so not sure what’s going on. What system do the laser scanners control?

Quick Reply: Driving in snow renders all sensors useless?