Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Exhaust pipe rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Exhaust pipe rattle?

From day one with my Q8 I have noticed a rattling sound especially at idle. It sounds like a clamp or something is loose in the exhaust system. I have searched under the car but could not locate it’s source. It is especially noticeable if you remove the fuel cap and listen there. Today I took the time to stop by the dealership and have them check it. The technician knew exactly what I was talking about and said Audi is aware of the annoying vibrating sound that is emanating from the fuel pump. He said they are working on a fix to dampen the sound. If this is the worst problem I have ‘life is good’! Now if we could just permanently disabled the Stop/Start system I would be overjoyed.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your Car is just beautiful! I should know this but what do you call it when you get the black handles, accents...? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JeffSmith
Your Car is just beautiful! I should know this but what do you call it when you get the black handles, accents...? Thanks.
Thanks JeffSmith....I had this factory option on my last Carrara White Porsche Macan GTS...always liked the look so had dealership paint them gloss black for me.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:34 PM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffSmith
This is the Year 1 package. It gives you Black Optic exterior touches (Their black handles are not part of this package), 22" inch rims, and red brake calipers. A Black Optic package is available on other Audi models.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Rattle...Noisy Fuel Pump

Originally Posted by skiphoyt

From day one with my Q8 I have noticed a rattling sound especially at idle. It sounds like a clamp or something is loose in the exhaust system. I have searched under the car but could not locate it’s source. It is especially noticeable if you remove the fuel cap and listen there. Today I took the time to stop by the dealership and have them check it. The technician knew exactly what I was talking about and said Audi is aware of the annoying vibrating sound that is emanating from the fuel pump. He said they are working on a fix to dampen the sound. If this is the worst problem I have ‘life is good’! Now if we could just permanently disabled the Stop/Start system I would be overjoyed.
Service diagnosed it as a noisy fuel pump but WNL! They have had a number of complaints about this and are working on a way to dampen the sound.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just not sure with Audi anymore

I had a 2018 Q7 and got rid of it because of the squeaking brakes noise, which the dealer and/or Audi never addressed---as far as I know. Last year I traded in that car and bought a 2021 Q8. Now this car rattles so bad that it's literally driving me insane. The vibration comes from the passenger right side and the dealer said it's the tail pipe--some bracket that allows it to flex and rattles. The dealer told me that Audi is aware of the problem and are working on a fix, but based on my research the problem has been going on for several years and there is no fix to date. I'm planning to sell this crap of a car and get into a BMW. I should have listed to friends and family that Audi is really a rebranded VW vehicle; Just plain cheap and crappy. To make matters worst Audi does not care until, it appears, until maybe a class action lawsuit is brought against them.Sigh!

Service diagnosed it as a noisy fuel pump but WNL! They have had a number of complaints about this and are working on a way to dampen the sound.
Old 05-15-2023, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 792 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder67
I had a 2018 Q7 and got rid of it because of the squeaking brakes noise, which the dealer and/or Audi never addressed---as far as I know. Last year I traded in that car and bought a 2021 Q8. Now this car rattles so bad that it's literally driving me insane. The vibration comes from the passenger right side and the dealer said it's the tail pipe--some bracket that allows it to flex and rattles. The dealer told me that Audi is aware of the problem and are working on a fix, but based on my research the problem has been going on for several years and there is no fix to date. I'm planning to sell this crap of a car and get into a BMW. I should have listed to friends and family that Audi is really a rebranded VW vehicle; Just plain cheap and crappy. To make matters worst Audi does not care until, it appears, until maybe a class action lawsuit is brought against them.Sigh!
Before you switch to a BMW, read the BMW forums. And if you are discouraged from buying a BMW and think about Mercedes or Porsche, then also read the forums of these brands. Everywhere there are various major or minor problems.
The following 4 users liked this post by retom:
a75 (05-16-2023), angrypengu (05-18-2023), termite (05-28-2023), ThomasWShea (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

there is no perfect car just a different compromise. if you spend much much more, less of a compromise, but still, a compromise.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 05-15-2023 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:45 AM
a75
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder67
I spent a lot of time two years ago reading BMW and Audi... reviews and forums before buying an Audi.
Believe me, the number of problems that are found in the BMW X5 / X7 will surprise you unpleasantly, some of them are simply absurd, such as rusty door hinges, massive leaks of panoramic roofs, etc.
It is worth taking care that the BMW service is not far from your home
Old 05-18-2023, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default EVAP rattle

I just had mine repaired from a rattle i heard at the right rear. Turns out it weas two EVAP valves at the engine that failed that then in turn caused pressure buildup and the noise to seem like it was coming from the gas cap area

Quick Reply: Exhaust pipe rattle?