Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Grill Sensors Dislodged

Old 04-19-2019, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grill Sensors Dislodged

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. The two front round sensors located in the black grill have become dislodged and are just hanging there behind the grill.

I took the Q8 back to the dealership for its first oil change (5,000 miles) as I don't subscribe to the 10,000 mile BS and had them look at the sensor issue. Apparently, the sensors are just force fitted into the holes in the grill and there is no way to tighten or attach them. Audi USA has been made aware of the issue and they are sending a new grill as they want to evaluate why mine has failed.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 04-19-2019, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

It would be helpful if you could send a picture

thanks

Old 04-20-2019, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GreginNH
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. The two front round sensors located in the black grill have become dislodged and are just hanging there behind the grill.

I took the Q8 back to the dealership for its first oil change (5,000 miles) as I don't subscribe to the 10,000 mile BS and had them look at the sensor issue. Apparently, the sensors are just force fitted into the holes in the grill and there is no way to tighten or attach them. Audi USA has been made aware of the issue and they are sending a new grill as they want to evaluate why mine has failed.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks for your post. That may, in part, explain why many of us are having various problems with Driver Assistance features. I would appreciate the result of your new grill replacement.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by suni
Thanks for your post. That may, in part, explain why many of us are having various problems with Driver Assistance features. I would appreciate the result of your new grill replacement.
No, I'm thinking he's meaning the proximity sensors used for parking. Driver Assistance utilizes the radar and laser (square sensors), along with camera (from rear view mirror). If it is the round sensors, I would think that an easy fix for that would be to just put a thicker encasing around the body of the sensor so that it stays more snug within the cutout. Seems a bit much to get a whole new grill replaced, but if Audi will replace it for free, then why not.

But in response to your item about driver assistance features, I think it was said that the cause for not being able to utilize that feature is mostly due to either weather or dirt on either the radar or laser, or both, can't remember which one. But the forum can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

On all the other cars I can think of, there is double sided tape from the sonar sensor (the round ones) to the backside of the grille/bumper. Haven't taken a Q8 apart yet to know if that's the same
Old 04-20-2019, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NyCAudiGuY
No, I'm thinking he's meaning the proximity sensors used for parking. Driver Assistance utilizes the radar and laser (square sensors), along with camera (from rear view mirror). If it is the round sensors, I would think that an easy fix for that would be to just put a thicker encasing around the body of the sensor so that it stays more snug within the cutout. Seems a bit much to get a whole new grill replaced, but if Audi will replace it for free, then why not.

But in response to your item about driver assistance features, I think it was said that the cause for not being able to utilize that feature is mostly due to either weather or dirt on either the radar or laser, or both, can't remember which one. But the forum can correct me if I'm wrong.
Mine and I believe other DAS flaws were not related to dirt or other obstructions.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by suni
Mine and I believe other DAS flaws were not related to dirt or other obstructions.
What issues do you have? I noticed my car won’t steer itself back into the lane anymore. The lane markers are white - never green on the display. Unless I’m doing something wrong I think there is an issue. It used to work when I selected the button near the garage opener in combination with the adaptive cruise control.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NyCAudiGuY

Yes - you are corrrect. It is the round parking sensors that are dislodged.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Update on the Sensor Saga

The new grill has arrived. Apparently there are some sort of brackets that hold the sensors in place. The dealer had to take the entire bumper off to properly install the sensors and grill. The car then needs to be entirely re-calibrated to have all sensors, lasers and what ever else needs to work in unison. It should be ready tomorrow,
Old 04-22-2019, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear that they were able to fix it and you'll get your baby back. Hopefully it won't be a reoccurring issue, which I doubt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grill Sensors Dislodged