Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Handsfree tailgate??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Handsfree tailgate??

I am just getting started with my Navarra Blue w Salga Beige leather, Prestige, Lux, Year 1, etc Q8 (picked up yesterday). Already experienced the audio volume issue (email in to dealer) and have abandoned CarPlay because I prefer the Google Earth maps used in conjunction with Waze on my phone. Plus, I don't like the way CarPlay takes over my phone. Trying to figure out some of the other features in the manual. I can't seem to make the "Handsfree" tailgate work. Is there a trick to that?? Also, I can't find where to define Users. Any help would be appreciated...

GW
Old 01-26-2019, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Handsfree tailgate function doesn’t work on my car. Someone posted a trick of doing the kick left of center and stepping back immediately. Works for some people apparently, not for me. Useless feature.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Tried it locked and unlocked, doesn't seem to work. Going to the dealer on Monday where he will "show" me how to do it. Ironically, my RS7 trunk used to open as I walked by with the key in my pocket about once a month!!

Found the user setup feature. Now trying to get it to keep those settings when I get in and out of the car. Pretty frustrating so far. Last time, it didn't even save the Drive Select settings.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gkendallw
Thanks. Tried it locked and unlocked, doesn't seem to work. Going to the dealer on Monday where he will "show" me how to do it. Ironically, my RS7 trunk used to open as I walked by with the key in my pocket about once a month!!

Found the user setup feature. Now trying to get it to keep those settings when I get in and out of the car. Pretty frustrating so far. Last time, it didn't even save the Drive Select settings.
User setup not really neccessary from my experience. Save to seat memory and car saves everything to your key for the most part it seems...
Old 01-26-2019, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Kick to open and close works , but you have to do it correctly. Part of proper delivery includes showing people this. So I hope you guys either paid dirt cheap for the car, or, you're related to your salesperson, and you can let them slide.

SYMAWD's video is spot on

works exactly the same on all the cars that have this, which is everything from the A4 on up. Kick to close is the same motion, for those cars so equipped (Q/SQ 5, Q7, Q8, A6, A7, A8 and so on)

If your car has the factory hitch, I personally find move over to the left edge of the hitch, use the same method as above, and it will work perfectly well.

If you're waving your foot, or doing the correct kick motion and then standing there in place waiting for it to open, without taking the step back, it won't work, because it's not supposed to. One fluid motion, up down, and take a step back, and it will work.
The following users liked this post:
jcitriniti (11-17-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Q8 doesn't work in the center. You need to kick on the left side about where the "exhaust tip" is.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

I just tried one in the showroom before I left - no hitch on it, dead center. Worked perfectly fine with only about 3 total feet behind to step backwards fwiw
Old 01-26-2019, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you guys will test this out. I was swiping side to side with my leg left of the hitch it’s no wonder it wouldn’t work.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes even at the dealership the tech guy there thought it was defective when going around car.

However I found as SYMAWD - the problem people have is kicking in wrong spot. There is an exact spot you have to kick it.

Standing at the rear bumper - you have the Exhaust port, then the bumper has a contour up and then there is a vertical line. You have to kick between that contour and the vertical line. If you kick past the vertical line more toward the hitch it will not work. and it will not work on the right side.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here - see circled spot in red

Quick Reply: Handsfree tailgate??