Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Has anyone here had a Cayenne? Has anyone cross-shopped the Q8 with the Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks - I wasn't sure - probably just the Q8's sloping rear roof making me think it is shorter. In reply to your earlier post - you should drive a Macan. Macans are so much fun to drive - they have a great exhaust note and handle like a lifted hot hatch. I would have gone that direction if it weren't for the lack of space in the back and my inability to find one with all the options I wanted.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by critter6835
While I was waiting on my Q8 to be built we had to take our P car in for service and they gave us a new Cayenne loaner so I got to spend a week with a base model. It had a few options on it but no performance upgrades.

I really did not like the way the Cayenne handled - it was floaty and would rock/bounce around in parking decks - something the Q8 never does. I am not sure if there is a height difference between the cars but it felt like the Cayenne was a little more top heavy. I also don't like the way Porsche has implemented the virtual gauges. One of the screens is somewhat useful but the one to the left of the tach is useless. It is nothing like the virtual cockpit. Also the main infotainment screen I found to be more complicated to use than how Audi has done it. Finally, the cayenne is just bland to my eye and not very unique in a sea of SUVs (same reason I dropped the X5 from contention) - the Q8 gets attention everywhere I go. People are very interested in it for some reason. I assume this will wear off though and a new Cayenne GTS could be the flavor the Cayenne needs (I usually prefer the look of the GTS model for any p car).

There are some things I like about the Cayenne though. You can really customize the car in terms of color, wheels, interior colors and buying options outside of packages (for $$$$+). Audi really locks you into certain things (like only two colors for the lux interior pack). I am not even sure the Q8 can do Audi Exclusive in the US - although with the crazy prices it would be a lot of money lost at trade in. Related to this the Cayenne can be configured to have a more luxurious interior - one of the things I hate most about the Q8 is the lack of leather on door surfaces (especially the door tops). And of course you can get much larger engines in the Cayenne if you want

With all that said I am sure you can configure a Cayenne to fix some of the problems I was feeling with handling but when I tried building a base cayenne to match the Q8's options it soared well north of $100k and it felt crazy to pay that amount for a base Cayenne. Perhaps in a year or 2 when a Turbo model is a little depreciated I will pick one up since I do love a V8. The Cayenne Coupe is interesting - especially since it comes pre configured with some sporty options and you can have an awesome houndstooth interior. Really at this point I am waiting to see what Audi does with the RSQ8 as I think the RS upgrades + the existing great car will be an amazing combination.
Well said. My sentiments exactly. I have owned 5 P cars including a Cayenne S. I chose the Q8 after driving both. I had to build the base to over 100k. At that point, I was getting close to Turbo territory. I love my Q 8! We must think alike since we both. Have Navarra Blue!
Old 06-10-2019, 08:43 PM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

I test drove a 2016 Cayenne GTS and a 2019 Cayenne S today. I think the 2016 GTS handles worse than the Q8. I think the 2019 S handles mildly better. The S has a lot more power and you feel it, but it still feels like a large vehicle.

The Macan S is outstanding. It's like a little hatchback, and I think it might be worth picking up. Loved the exhaust note. I thought the interior finishes were probably a cut above those in the Q8. The interior of the Cayenne S was no improvement over the Q8, however. No improvement whatsoever. It must be a package issue with the Cayenne too.

I think the Cayenne is probably a ripoff.

Last edited by SoundsoftheSuburbs; 06-10-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Cayenne only has Apple CarPlay and no Android. This is 2019 and no Android Auto?
Old 06-11-2019, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tinmanwpk
The Cayenne only has Apple CarPlay and no Android. This is 2019 and no Android Auto?
People still use Android?
The following 2 users liked this post by Bearcat:
peterlinke (03-01-2020), yachtbroker2020 (01-17-2021)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:54 PM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
People still use Android?
I'm an iPhone user, but Google Android has over 75% of global market share. Apple iOS is just over 22%. I am a little taken aback that you would be under the impression that iPhones were more widespread. Apple is over 40% in the United States, but even here Android still has a larger market share.

Yes, Porsche only supports Apple CarPlay for some reason.

Last edited by SoundsoftheSuburbs; 06-11-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SoundsoftheSuburbs
I'm an iPhone user, but Google Android has over 75% of global market share. Apple iOS is just over 22%. I am a little taken aback that you would be under the impression that iPhones were more widespread. Apple is over 40% in the United States, but even here Android still has a larger market share.

Yes, Porsche only supports Apple CarPlay for some reason.
I was actually just being facetious. Only because iOS is a much superior experience. Android is the majority because a lot of it is cheap crap.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bearcat:
joemb239 (03-25-2024), peterlinke (03-01-2020)
Old 03-23-2024, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q8 vs. Porsche Cayenne

Both great cars, but the Cayenne handles so much better. The Cayenne has a firmer ride and is a lot more fun to drive. I have had a 2019 S, still have a 2023 GTS and have a 2024 Turbo GT on order. Great cars.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 792 Likes on 606 Posts

I just replaced my SQ8 with a Cayenne Turbo Coupe e-Hybrid, I've only had the Porsche for a few days, so I'll report back when I get to know it better.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned 2 Porsches (currently own a Taycan 4S) and just ordered an SQ8 after testing out the Cayenne and BMW X5. My thoughts are similar to some comments and different than others. The SUV we bought had to pass my need for something that is both refined and sporty and had to pass my wife's desire for something comfortable. Here are my thoughts:

Interior
The BMW and Audi both had a nice interior which is refined without being over the top. I felt that the Porsche interior is a bit more utilitarian as noted by another comment in this thread. If you like a sporty, minimalist feel then I suppose you would like Porsches interior better but otherwise I don't personally see how anyone could find the Porsche interior nicer. Another issue that was a complete deal breaker for my wife was that the Cayenne seats are very firm whereas both the BMW and Audi have very comfortable seats while still being supportive.

Drive Characteristics
The Porsche has the best handling by far but has the firmest ride. It handles in a way that is more car like and approaching a sports car feel in how it corners and handles. Of course it's no 911 but outperforms most sedans in it's handling. The Audi also cornered and handled extremely well though a notch below the Porsche. I felt that the BMW was floaty in how it handled compared to the other two. The Audi had the best combination of comfortable refinement, quiet and yet sporty.

Cabin Noise
The BMW was very noisy. I used a decibel app on my phone and the BMW was 5 decibels higher in the cabin than the Audi at 70 mph on the highway. I did not measure the Cayenne but would say it was in between the BMW and Audi.

Tech
BMW had the best tech such as driver assistance features but the Audi is very close if you get the Prestige package. I did not compare the tech features of the Porsche so am not sure how that compares.

Physical Appearance
I personally liked the Porsche the best, with BMW and Audi close to equal with slight nod to BMW. This is certainly subjective.

Cost
BMW is best on price when equipping the cars the same. Porsche and Audi are a bit more. Pricing is closer among these vehicles for lower optioned vehicles with smaller engines but farther apart when loading them up or getting bigger engines.

Quick Reply: Has anyone here had a Cayenne? Has anyone cross-shopped the Q8 with the Cayenne?