Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Homelink GPS Pairing

Old 12-04-2018, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Homelink GPS Pairing

The new MMI system gives the option to save the GPS location of where you paired your garage door. Anybody know exactly the purpose of this? Owner's manual was no help.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Sure. Follow the instructions in the owner's manual. Then when you come home the next time, when you pull into your driveway, the screen will ask you if you want to open your garage door since it "knows" you are near the door.

It is a cool feature.

Now, what's also cool is you can set the "*" button on the steering wheel to be the garage door opener control, too.

Or, you can have the "*" turn on the heated steering wheel.

Or, you can simply press the icon on the lower screen that looks sort of like a house and it will open the garage door.

We've set the GPS function and use it and have reset the "*" button back to heated steering wheel on/off.

You can probably ask the question, regarding the "where's the beef?" with respect to the GPS function -- I don't know what benefit this feature offers since you still have to press the send button to do the job.

I don't know what the thought was here other than "we can do this, so why not?"

Why some of these "cool" features can be programmed, but others cannot is beyond me.

Features that actually would be helpful, such as, you get within X distance of your garage door and you are given the chance to respond to a "would you like me to open the garage door"? prompt verbally would be great. There is no real savings of "clicks" with the GPS function. It is just kind of cool. I don't dislike the feature, I somewhat would have to say it has potential but it is somewhat frivolous.

It is kind of like the Audi beam rings and the sequential turn signals and the multi-color interior lighting package. etc. I love this kind of stuff, but at times I just want it to be a little bit more useful while also being fun and cool.

Let me give you an example of something the Q8 does that is cool and valuable: With Driver assistance, you get "automatic" high/low beams -- the function is almost like magic and it is useful, not just cool and fun. In the Q8 as long as your headlight switch is set to AUTO-ON the AUTO high/low beams are automatically set on too.

In my 2018 S4, I have the exact same function -- BUT I have to turn it on manually, every time I get in the car. It seems that the software is NOT set to turn the feature on -- someone figured out how to do that in the Q8's software, however. This seems like the kind of function that should be selectable in the MMI.

It's the little things.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 12-04-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you. I was pairing someone's garage today and had no idea what the purpose was.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually the reason they program the gps is in case you have 2 or more preprogrammed buttons for example, your home and your country house or office.....you can actually have 8 preprogrammed garage doors so if you use gps....it senses where you are and suggests it with a single click.....otherwise, you have to press the garage door button to call up another menu where all your doors are programmed and than you have to choose....So basically it saves you some time IF you have more one than door programmed.

Hope that clarifies....but i agree, it would be nice if "siri" asks you if you would like door opened...but that might also be a pain as well on occasion....
Old 12-09-2018, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by fabricguy
Actually the reason they program the gps is in case you have 2 or more preprogrammed buttons for example, your home and your country house or office.....you can actually have 8 preprogrammed garage doors so if you use gps....it senses where you are and suggests it with a single click.....otherwise, you have to press the garage door button to call up another menu where all your doors are programmed and than you have to choose....So basically it saves you some time IF you have more one than door programmed.

Hope that clarifies....but i agree, it would be nice if "siri" asks you if you would like door opened...but that might also be a pain as well on occasion....
If you have several doors at one location does it suggest all of the buttons?
Old 12-09-2018, 01:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ha! good question!! Fortunately I have one double garage door as my residence. I would assume it would allow only one unique GPS store per location so two buttons at home could not have the same gps location. It would probably be the last one entered that takes default is my guess!!
Old 12-16-2018, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
If you have several doors at one location does it suggest all of the buttons?
I have 2 garage doors, when the buttons pop up, the buttons for both doors are presented.
I will try programming a door at a different location and see if I can keep that GPS location separate or if it replace the original and then I will check what buttons pop up where.