Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

How Long 'Til Someone Figures Out How To Enable Matrix Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default How Long 'Til Someone Figures Out How To Enable Matrix Lights?

How long do you think it will take someone to figure out how to enable the matrix headlights? Audi has already said the Q8 will have them-just disabled until legal and then you’ll be able to return to the dealer and have them activated.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably less than 3 months, given the number of smart, tech savvy people on other boards ie for A4 and Q7, that I followed for a time. That was my first thought when I heard it; same for "Laser lights" on A7 hopefully.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would ask the same question about enabling the Level 3 self driving! It might be fun to try that on a longer freeway trip. Unless Audi locks things up more than in the past it will get done. I bought an OBD dongle from Kufatec to enable traffic signs-it couldn’t be done with my OBD 11 because it required “parametizing?” the camera. I just saw a sticker on a loaded Q7 that was 92M, yikes!
I’m still on the fence between the Q8 & GLE. I wish they would get here to eval. Hate waiting, ha ha.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

read a news story today that said the fed's are going to implement new headlight safety standards after pressure being applied by NHTSA. of course it did not say WHEN that would happen.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm already working on this. I was the first to do matrix conversions on several of my previous cars. With the hardware in the vehicle, the process is vastly simplified. Stay tuned.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wdimagineer
I'm already working on this. I was the first to do matrix conversions on several of my previous cars. With the hardware in the vehicle, the process is vastly simplified. Stay tuned.
I read today NHTSA is in the commentary period for legalizing Matrix lights for the US. Hopefully they will be legal soon.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgiman

I read today NHTSA is in the commentary period for legalizing Matrix lights for the US. Hopefully they will be legal soon.
Yes. And hopefully, my former VAG colleagues keep the promise to retroactively enable the tech on in-service units. No guarantee here.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:54 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Unless they make it like some Nav Map updates where there must be communications with Audi server to activate properly. People still found ways around that too, but it was more involved than just a VCDS checkbox.
Hopefully Audi does right and just activates everyone who has them once they are legalized.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

The commentary period has closed. The Audi/VW comments were most revealing without reading the whole proposal. As usual the NHTSA wants to make this as difficult as possible by coming up with regulations that differ significantly from the rest of the world. Why reinvent the wheel?
Old 12-21-2018, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgiman
The commentary period has closed. The Audi/VW comments were most revealing without reading the whole proposal. As usual the NHTSA wants to make this as difficult as possible by coming up with regulations that differ significantly from the rest of the world. Why reinvent the wheel?
My experiences with the NHTSA indicate SWAMP creatures squared. I wouldn't expect a timely resolution.

Last edited by rjabend; 12-21-2018 at 03:54 AM.

Quick Reply: How Long 'Til Someone Figures Out How To Enable Matrix Lights?