Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a major safety issue; hopefully you can replicate it at the dealer. Do you have to turn off Auto S/S every time you start the car or does it stay off once turned off? Same question for driving mode, will it stay in dynamic or default to something else at start up?
Old 02-20-2019, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The start/stop has to be turned off every single time you turn on the car, there's no save mode unfortunately. Gotta make it a habit I guess
Old 02-20-2019, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't think its only a stop/start issue. My take is if you come to a rolling stop, the automatic is in a higher gear than first and it takes it a few seconds to down shift down to first gear. Coming to a real complete stop will reset the car into first gear. One workaround is to use the paddle shifter to force it into first gear as you roll thru the sign etc. Try a rolling stop, with and without auto stop on, to see if that makes a difference.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

I’ve been trying to replicate this issue on mine and have never experienced a three second power delay under any circumstance. I can’t think of any car where I’ve ever had this much lag, there has to be a specific issue with your vehicle. I do have a stop sign right outside my house and maybe I haven’t tried punching it hard enough when turning left to cause this, I’ll test it further. Good luck and keep us updated...
Old 02-21-2019, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3 seconds is a really long time. It definitely doesn't seem right. I've never noticed any delay of that type with the Q8 and I always drive in D. Just to check: not left foot braking, correct?
Old 02-21-2019, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is related to implementation of mild hybrid system, stumbled upon article yesterday, which may explain the behaviour
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/02/20190221-audiv6.html

Specifically this part:

The 48V mild-hybrid system features a lithium-ion battery and a belt alternator starter (BAS) that supplies the 48 V main electrical system of the SUV coupe with electricity.

When decelerating, the BAS enables up to 12 kW of energy to be recovered and feeds this into the battery. At speeds between 55 and 160 km/h (34.2 and 99.4 mph), the Q8 can coast for up to 40 seconds with the engine switched off when the driver lets off the accelerator. The BAS then restarts the six-cylinder quickly and very smoothly. The start-stop range begins at 22 km/h (13.7 mph).

Old 02-22-2019, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I wonder what influence the "Intelligent Coasting" option has on this issue. Saw that choice in the "Interior Review" video just posted.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

The US does not get the coasting option, only restart.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

The more I’ve paid attention to it I think the entire issue is with the Auto S/S. The specific parameters where I notice the most lag is when coming to a rolling stop, the engine cuts out but then I don’t come to a complete stop, and then hit the gas. It’s laggy. More like a one second lag for me though never three. There’s a “Ready” icon below the left gauge that pops up if you do come to a complete stop. From full stop to acceleration I don’t notice any lag. If the “Ready” icon doesn’t pop up however (meaning your rolling with the engine cut off) that’s when I notice the problem. The above is while in Drive mode with S/S engaged. Turn off S/S or switch to Sport mode and there’s no issue. Seems a poor implementation of S/S and possibly how it interacts with the mild hybrid system as others have mentioned.

Edit: Highly annoying that the OBDeleven codes don’t work to disable S/S on the Q8. S/S is the worst “feature” ever developed imo, and to pour salt in the wound there’s no permanent way to disable it.

Last edited by jrjunior31; 02-22-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
The more I’ve paid attention to it I think the entire issue is with the Auto S/S. The specific parameters where I notice the most lag is when coming to a rolling stop, the engine cuts out but then I don’t come to a complete stop, and then hit the gas. It’s laggy. More like a one second lag for me though never three. There’s a “Ready” icon below the left gauge that pops up if you do come to a complete stop. From full stop to acceleration I don’t notice any lag. If the “Ready” icon doesn’t pop up however (meaning your rolling with the engine cut off) that’s when I notice the problem. The above is while in Drive mode with S/S engaged. Turn off S/S or switch to Sport mode and there’s no issue
i have this same issue with my Q7. Doesn’t happen everywhere. But when it does, it’s extremely annoying.

Unfortunately, I don’t think we will get a solution to this until cars go electric

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue