Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 10:17 PM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

That Tech Crunch article was shared in the Facebook group. You beat me to the punch in sharing it.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q8 throttle lag

I’ve got exactly the same problem, today my car is being dropped back to Audi with a very direct message...... do not give me the car back unless it’s sorted.

the car is a new Q8 Vorsprung 3k Miles with everything on, I love the car but this throttle lag issue is dangerous.

Has already had me almost T boned at a junction, it’s such a shame it’s a beautiful car.

if I get any joy I shall let you know, it must be an electronic issue. Using the manual change and keeping the car on cam you can drive round it. I spent 80k it’s just not acceptable!
Old 06-12-2019, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Message sent to dealer

Chris

I love everything about our new Q8 ACCEPT the turbo lag with the start/stop engaged is unacceptable. Again today when I forgot to manually disengage it we were nearly T-boned making a left turn with plenty of time under normal circumstances. Coasting into the intersection, preparing to turn left, press accelerator, and car just sits there for what feels like 2 to 3 seconds with approaching traffic locking up brakes to avoid a major accident.

Please forward this to the correct department that can get the start/stop system permanently disabled. I hate to give up on this beautiful vehicle but do not feel safe driving it.

Best Regards,

Old 06-12-2019, 12:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You are going to have to follow up with Chris because there is a lot of paper work involved in reporting this issue to Audi. They don’t make it easy to report up. I know this from my experience trying to report it through a local service department when I was trying to purchase it. Have him copy you on correspondence both ways and also call Audi yourself. Ask to speak to the local factory rep ho calls on the dealer.

I don’t think this is turbo lag. I think it’s throttle lag caused by forcing the tranny into to high a gear while coasting and a poor program to get it into the correct gear quickly enough to get this vehicle on the power wheels it’s demanded by your right foot. The program of this system is designed to increase fuel mileage but may also shorten your life.

I hope we can get this fixed. I want one but not in its current form.

Originally Posted by skiphoyt
Chris

I love everything about our new Q8 ACCEPT the turbo lag with the start/stop engaged is unacceptable. Again today when I forgot to manually disengage it we were nearly T-boned making a left turn with plenty of time under normal circumstances. Coasting into the intersection, preparing to turn left, press accelerator, and car just sits there for what feels like 2 to 3 seconds with approaching traffic locking up brakes to avoid a major accident.

Please forward this to the correct department that can get the start/stop system permanently disabled. I hate to give up on this beautiful vehicle but do not feel safe driving it.

Best Regards,

Last edited by Jsf721; 06-12-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Drogon
I tried to get used to the throttle by training myself to let the "start" happen before expecting to move forward. Today, I'm done and now will try to train myself to shut off start/stop every time I get in. It's just too dangerous to ignore any more. Problem is I'm human and I forget! How can there be something I hate be in something I'm otherwise crazy about.?? I suspect Audi will have to be shamed into developing a fix!
Old 06-18-2019, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Shame no, call the Nhta and file a complaint. This is dangerous. I loved this vehicle but could not live with the lag.

Originally Posted by Q8Bling

Drogon
I tried to get used to the throttle by training myself to let the "start" happen before expecting to move forward. Today, I'm done and now will try to train myself to shut off start/stop every time I get in. It's just too dangerous to ignore any more. Problem is I'm human and I forget! How can there be something I hate be in something I'm otherwise crazy about.?? I suspect Audi will have to be shamed into developing a fix!
Old 06-18-2019, 07:40 PM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Q8Bling

Drogon
Congratulations on the Q8! She's beautiful!

I communicated with someone on Audi of America's Audi USA FB page. They said that they would take my concerns into account and that they appreciated that kind of feedback. I also complained about the inability to close the tailgate from the keyfob. Someone who has a Q5 mentioned this issue to me. I thought she was crazy, but I guess not. It's ridiculous that you are not able to close the tailgate from the fob.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious lag/hesitation with my Audi Q8

I have 10,000 miles and the problem has gotten worse. Initially thought it faltered when the Stop/Start function was On. But over time it's happening regardless of that, or even in various modes, e.g. Dynamic or Comfort. When it's hot it stumbles nearly every time I slow and then try to accelerate. Dealer says they've not heard of the problem but I've driven 8 different Q8's and they all do it. Any suggestions; Audicustomerexperience has been no help?
Old 06-19-2019, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Car addiction;25329293]I’ve got exactly the same problem, today my car is being dropped back to Audi with a very direct message...... do not give me the car back unless it’s sorted.

Car Addiction - Do you have your car back yet?
Old 06-19-2019, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Make sure you get a nice loaner. It will be a while. Audi has yet to admit any fault and so far standing behind the working as designed crap.

You should drive with service manager and get him to agree there is an issue. Audi thinks we are all too stupid to make a claim and only after the sales person and service manager experienced the issue with me and I got their names and numbers to AOA customer experience did the ball get rolling.

By the time they called me thanking me for my call and log of events did they escalate the issue although they told me that they have never had a complaint about this before. Lol. I pointed them to this forum however they don’t monitor forums and count on dealer service departments to provide feedback and guidance

it’s going to take a concerted effort from many to get this moving. I don’t have the time or energy to do any more than I did already. That is why I gave up on the Q8 for now. My case is active and they said they will get back to me if they find the fault and take corrective action. They said my vehicle would benefit from the fix but could not give any time frame from finding an issue and correcting it.

By the time I got the call. 2 months after making the complaint I had already given up on the Q8 and purchased a different brand.

I would buy the Q8 in a second if the throttle lag were fixed. I can look past my other gripes although I think they should also be fixed the are not safety issues and totally frustrating for a 82k dollar daily driver.

[QUOTE=JeffSmith;25332194]
Originally Posted by Car addiction
I’ve got exactly the same problem, today my car is being dropped back to Audi with a very direct message...... do not give me the car back unless it’s sorted.

Car Addiction - Do you have your car back yet?

Last edited by Jsf721; 06-19-2019 at 05:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue