Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got 10,000 miles on my Q8 and the problem gets worse. At first I thought turning off the S/S function was the answer. However the same problem now occurs either way and in Comfort or Dynamic. When it's hot it stumbles trying to accelerate from a slowdown, low speed, nearly every time. It is in the low 100's here now. The dealer and Audicustomerexperience haven't come up with any answer and refuse to acknowledge the problem.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just letting you guys know that I picked up my new Q8 last Friday here in Florida and it was a brand new custom order that was just manufactured last month and it has zero throttle lag response issues like you guys are talking about in this thread. The start/stop is super smooth compared to my 2017 Q7 which I hated and always turned off. The Q8s I hardly notice and there is no delay in throttle response once the engine restarts which is very fast. So my guess is they have this issue fixed with new builds and it just needs to have a TSB put out for it and pushed to the dealer network. Just letting you guys know.
The following users liked this post:
jmike52 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dolmstead
Just letting you guys know that I picked up my new Q8 last Friday here in Florida and it was a brand new custom order that was just manufactured last month and it has zero throttle lag response issues like you guys are talking about in this thread. The start/stop is super smooth compared to my 2017 Q7 which I hated and always turned off. The Q8s I hardly notice and there is no delay in throttle response once the engine restarts which is very fast. So my guess is they have this issue fixed with new builds and it just needs to have a TSB put out for it and pushed to the dealer network. Just letting you guys know.
Thanks for the input. Did you have an older Q8 so know that the new one is different?
Old 06-19-2019, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well that is hopeful although my wife did not notice it either until I asked her to try making a left without coming to a full stop

Originally Posted by dolmstead

Last edited by Jsf721; 06-19-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jbertstuft

The lag problem only gets worse; have 10,000 miles and it's doing it with S/S on or off and in Comfort or Dynamic. Dealer says they've never heard of it and Audi customer experience says to check with dealer for any updates.
What's the answer folks???
Old 06-19-2019, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Keep complaining to your dealer and get them to get in the car with you and verify it. Press them to file reports with Audi.

Call Audi customer experience, ask for Becky- she was the best one I spoke too. Have your vin and tell her your experience and how it effects your driving experience and the dangers you see it causing.

The reason is this:

If there are enough documented complaints Audi will have to fix it because they fear litigation more than they want happy customers. That is what their actions suggest based on with my conversations with AOA.

This will only get fixed if they feel the liability of not fixing is more expensive that the cost of fixing. Sad but true.

Originally Posted by jbertstuft
The lag problem only gets worse; have 10,000 miles and it's doing it with S/S on or off and in Comfort or Dynamic. Dealer says they've never heard of it and Audi customer experience says to check with dealer for any updates.
What's the answer folks???
Old 06-19-2019, 07:48 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I installed the pedalbox and this has eliminated any throttle lag. I also immediately turn the s/s off. I agree the system creates lag otherwise, but I have had no issues so far with the s/s off. I did file a report and will bring it up at the next service, but I dont have the time to drop off the car at the dealer for them to tell me they cannot duplicate the problem or nothing is wrong with it.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My guess is Audi will, without comment or fanfare, fix the lag issue on the next Refresh or the next new model. They may have the fix now but prefer to wait to implement it until a customer/s pushes them rather than issue a TSB.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

They lost my sale so waiting creates bad user experience and lost sales.

I saw they are not fixing because there negativity effects mpg and they VAG are afraid of the possible fines caused by lower fuel economy after their diesel gate fines and spanking.

The big part is easy. This is not a hard fix it required a transmission re map to down shift as speed is reduced. Instead the tranny stays is too high a gear as the car coasts and when you want to go it’s stuck in too high a gear. . The start stop is another part that I was not able to get an ideas about a fix.

Originally Posted by JeffSmith
My guess is Audi will, without comment or fanfare, fix the lag issue on the next Refresh or the next new model. They may have the fix now but prefer to wait to implement it until a customer/s pushes them rather than issue a TSB.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

For those who have not seen this article.

Everyone knows there is a problem with the Q8 by now

................... except Audi ? Come on Audi. Get with the program and at least let us know you acknowledge there is an Issue so we can count on a fix !

https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/10/re...breaking-flaw/

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue