Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

They lost my sale. Was looking at one fully loaded around 96-97k and was going to give my ‘16 Lexus 450h to my 16 yo daughter as I thought it was a perfect way for me to get a new vehicle. Even had the wife in agreement. This issue would drive my OCD nuts. Just bought a new loaded XC60 for my daughter and called it good. My wife loves her XC90 and so do I...no throttle issues either. Maybe down the road I’ll reconsider but this also saved me $40k.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a 84K Q8 built and just a trigger pull from ordering. Went back and forth with AOA for weeks trying to get a commitment on a fix. They never admitted any fault. Had me driving around to test drove a different vehicle and they all had the issue.

I laid in bed for many long nights trying to convince myself that I could live with it because I loved the looks and new-ness of the Q8.

In the end an extended test drive proved to me that this vehicle will be a daily 15K a year source of frustration and can also be dangerous if you need the accelerator to save your butt and for that reason I past.

Originally Posted by Bearcat
They lost my sale. Was looking at one fully loaded around 96-97k and was going to give my ‘16 Lexus 450h to my 16 yo daughter as I thought it was a perfect way for me to get a new vehicle. Even had the wife in agreement. This issue would drive my OCD nuts. Just bought a new loaded XC60 for my daughter and called it good. My wife loves her XC90 and so do I...no throttle issues either. Maybe down the road I’ll reconsider but this also saved me $40k.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:13 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsf721
Keep complaining to your dealer and get them to get in the car with you and verify it. Press them to file reports with Audi.

Call Audi customer experience, ask for Becky- she was the best one I spoke too. Have your vin and tell her your experience and how it effects your driving experience and the dangers you see it causing.

The reason is this:

If there are enough documented complaints Audi will have to fix it because they fear litigation more than they want happy customers. That is what their actions suggest based on with my conversations with AOA.

This will only get fixed if they feel the liability of not fixing is more expensive that the cost of fixing. Sad but true.
I called AOA and reported this issue and they could care less. I got the standard "I understand your concerns and sorry for your frustration. Please take it to the dealer to get fixed". Until someone sues Audi, or gets in a bad crash, nothing will happen.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I’m not an owner and was just about there. If I was I’d be at the dealer enough to get it fixed or lemon lawed and out of it.

its too dangerous in its current form.

Originally Posted by f10
I called AOA and reported this issue and they could care less. I got the standard "I understand your concerns and sorry for your frustration. Please take it to the dealer to get fixed". Until someone sues Audi, or gets in a bad crash, nothing will happen.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:14 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

I dont see anyone complaining as much, if at all, on the A6/A7/A8 forum which has the same drivetrain/ss system
Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by f10
I dont see anyone complaining as much, if at all, on the A6/A7/A8 forum which has the same drivetrain/ss system
Must admit to lurking on your forum (as a C8 A7 owner) but this thread is of great interest to me. I need to share that I too have experienced the dreaded throttle lag event twice, once more severely than the other. The scenario is I was traveling, actually drifting at about 15-20 mph and slowing for a left hand turn against oncoming traffic. I cannot say which mode I was in (Comfort, Dynamic, Auto, Individual) but I do know that the default Auto Start/Stop system was engaged. As i drifted even more slowly, I tried to accelerate to make my left turn thru a reasonable and safe gap in the oncoming traffic (moving maybe 20-25mph). The DAMN CAR WENT INTO LIMP MODE. What was realistically about < 2 seconds of bowel clenching panic seemed like two or three times as long.

When the Dealership called me for their "two-weeks-into-ownership-how-ya-doin'" survey., I related this to them and as forcefully as I could, pushed them to escalate this and get back to me, Nada. Zilch. Nil response.

Love this car though...
Old 06-20-2019, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by f10
Have an A7, lucky haven't had this issue happen to my car yet (car was built this year).
Old 06-20-2019, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has any one tried this fix
https://www.sprintboosterusa.com/pro...ter-select-v3/
Old 06-20-2019, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

This discussion reminds me a great deal of similar experiences with the 2011 - 2014 A8’s which was even noted by many reviews at the time from Car and Driver, Automobile magazine, Motor Trend et al as well as many owners. I turned off the A/S system the day we took delivery and never turned it back on but did still have periodic issues with throttle lag which could be greatly reduced when in Dynamic mode. The problem seemed to resolve itself gradually over time and I learned to compensate through throttle control which could be interesting for sure. The problem was finally fully resolved when Audi issued a recall on the fuel pickup inside the gas tank. From that point forward, no more throttle lag even after turning on that stupid A/S system (which could be switched off totally on the older models). I know this post is not going to resolve anything for y’all but since I have been contemplating the Q8 as a replacement for my Porsche I can barely get in and out of so following the forum closely.

Fortunately, my personal experience with AoA has been very good and haven’t had the responses mentioned by others here. Hopefully they get this situation addressed and resolved soon as they sure don’t need any more 60 Minutes type publicity.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:09 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IndyRon
I installed the pedalbox and it makes a very noticeable improvement.

https://www.pedalbox.com/us/

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue