AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/)
-   -   Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/intro-auto-start-major-throttle-lag-issue-2966888/)

gkendallw 06-27-2019 09:19 AM

I just took the time to check out my settings. I am in Individual mode. Sport suspension (otherwise it sits too high), Balanced Drive and Balanced Steering. Sport mode in the shifter makes the car quite zipping and delays upshifts and increases downshifts.

It would be great to hear from others on this, I can't be the only one that works this way. Mine was ordered back in November and delivered in late January. Sorry if yours doesn't function this way. Have you tried just shifting into Sport mode with the shifter?

SammyH 06-27-2019 09:20 AM

I think there's a lot of confusion on this thread. It appears that some people are experiencing a "dangerous" lag issue. Others an "annoying" lag issue, perhaps nothing more than standard turbo lag/Auto S/S system, as with most cars. Others haven't complained at all. I think it would be helpful if people specify a few things when they post their complaint. Please feel free to add to this...

1) Build Date: February 2019
2) Location: Connecticut, U.S.
3) Current Mileage: 3,000
4) Lag issue when Auto S/S engaged: Yes, annoying but not dangerous, seems to be turbo lag combined with Auto S/S system. Experienced only 1 longer hesitation which was noteworthy (1.5 seconds), rest of the time it's a standard 'minor' lag
5) Lag issue when Auto S/S off: No, this seems to fix the problem on MY car
6) Lag issue when Sport Mode engaged: I don't drive in S mode enough to notice

angrypengu 06-27-2019 12:16 PM

I am reading this thread with this look on my face.

:confused:

Is it really that big of a deal to turn off auto stop/start? I do for every drive and it takes like 0 effort. It's either that or spend endless time complaining on this thread when we all know Audi will not do anything about it.

BigHat 06-27-2019 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by angrypengu (Post 25335669)
I am reading this thread with this look on my face.

:confused:

Is it really that big of a deal to turn off auto stop/start? I do for every drive and it takes like 0 effort. It's either that or spend endless time complaining on this thread when we all know Audi will not do anything about it.

I think you missed all the posts where they noted turning off auto s/s did nothing to resolve the problem for them. I agree turning off auto s/s and running in "sport" mode keeps you higher in the rev band nearly all of the time making the turbo lag less noticeable, but remapping the throttle control and the transmission software will likely be part of the ultimate solution to ending what some say is a 2-3 sec lull in generating power should AoA eventually decide it warrants doing.

angrypengu 06-27-2019 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by BigHat (Post 25335674)
I think you missed all the posts where they noted turning off auto s/s did nothing to resolve the problem for them. I agree turning off auto s/s and running in "sport" mode keeps you higher in the rev band nearly all of the time making the turbo lag less noticeable, but remapping the throttle control and the transmission software will likely be part of the ultimate solution to ending what some say is a 2-3 sec lull in generating power should AoA eventually decide it warrants doing.

Thanks - maybe it's lost on me as I have the A8 and not the Q8.

With auto s/s off, and as per one of the posts above, throttle lag is gone. I would have thought the A8 is heavier, but I haven't looked.

Most of the torque provided to counter the turbo lag is provided by the BSG. I don't think there's a systemic BSG issue on the Q8 that's not on the A8 as both engines are the EA839. That said, this thread just baffles me.

//moving back to sidelines!

Jsf721 06-27-2019 12:53 PM

Forgive me if this post is out of line and I am not directing this at anyone on particular.

The Q8 was so high on my list I actually waited 2 months to try to get Audi to commit to a fix before I shelled out 80+K. I drive many Q8s at different dealers and they were all 100% the same FOR ME

Regular start up and drive w/ S/S on- No Lag off the line, Dangerous lag after coasting down form 40-50MPH to say 15-20 and back on gas.

Regular start and drive w/ S/S turned off-No Lag off Line, Frustrating lag after coasting down form 40-50MPH to say 15-20 and back on gas

Sport Mode-No Lag off Line, Slightly less Frustrating lag after coasting down form 40-50MPH to say 15-20 and back on gas

I think all the issue are rather the same, it is perceived differently depending on your driving style.

If you are a performance oriented driver who is accustomed to a car reacting to your right foots inputs, it will be a deal breaker.

If you are a mellow cruiser- you may very well never notice any lag

and for those in between your relative happiness or dissatisfaction will vary.

dolmstead 07-03-2019 07:30 PM

You guys been in to service had your car's software updated or whatever they do? I just picked mine up 2 weeks ago it was an order so its a new build and it has none of the lag problems you guys are talking about so they must have fixed it on new builds.

cheetos72 07-03-2019 08:02 PM

Your experience is different then mine which gives me hope that there is a software change. There is a 4-5 second DELAY where the engine would rev but the car does not accelerate and then if you're deep in the throttle jerk you forward This is not a lag, rather an unwillingness to go forward as the professional car reviewer stated in the earlier linked review.

I do hope you're right and when I bring my Q8 in for service that issue goes away.

SoundsoftheSuburbs 07-03-2019 09:43 PM

With the auto start/stop disabled, I experience no throttle lag. What bugs me is that we paid a premium for the MHEV system, and it doesn't work well in urban traffic.

jrjunior31 07-03-2019 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by cheetos72 (Post 25338414)
Your experience is different then mine which gives me hope that there is a software change. There is a 4-5 second DELAY where the engine would rev but the car does not accelerate and then if you're deep in the throttle jerk you forward This is not a lag, rather an unwillingness to go forward as the professional car reviewer stated in the earlier linked review.

I do hope you're right and when I bring my Q8 in for service that issue goes away.

I tested the slow down from 40-50 to around 30 with Auto S/S off and in regular Drive mode. With the RPMs around 2K if you punch the gas heavily (not floored necessarily) the RPMs shoot up to 4-5K and the car goes nowhere. But for me there’s no way it’s a 4 or 5 second delay. Maybe 1-2 max. Then the car lurches forward as you say. If you ease into the gas a bit more it seems to respond better, I need to test it more I guess. You would think a software update should be available soon, I’ve never had a car with a throttle that behaved in this manner. It’s not good.