AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/)
-   -   Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/intro-auto-start-major-throttle-lag-issue-2966888/)

Chiclet11 02-09-2019 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by tomk (Post 25273796)
Seems to me that coming to a real full stop is one easy solution and just like not using turn signal before changing lanes, it a good habit to get into.

I agree with your statement about coming to a full stop is an easy solution. It doesn't always work out, because I might be coasting to a red light, and it turns green, so a full stop isn't needed. However, that's not a situation where full throttle is needed, so not a problem for me.

My 2014 A6 also had stop start, and I must be part of a distinct minority that liked it with fuel economy in mind. This being said, I find the Q8 stop start less intrusive than my A6, and I still like it.

jrjunior31 02-09-2019 09:55 AM

I’ve been testing the Auto S/S and I’m not noticing a 3-4 second gap with no throttle per the OPs post. That is a LONG lag time. Will continue to test further but that sounds like something you need to take the car in for, it can’t be normal.

Edit: Sorry just reread your post, can’t believe they found it on another Q8. 3-4 seconds with no throttle is absurd!

NyCAudiGuY 02-09-2019 01:51 PM

They would murder you here in NYC if you were stuck at a light for 3 - 4 seconds.... Do you guys think that Audi would be able to fix this with maybe a firmware update or is this something more mechanical?

GK12345EMAIL 02-09-2019 09:05 PM

My q8 hasn’t shown up yet, but I did go for a test drive on one today, because this was of great concern to me

I drove in Individual mode:

Engine - comfort
steering/suspension - sport mode

Auto S/S was not disabled

I noticed no turbo lag (more than normal). I thought power was adequate even in comfort engine mode. Start stop worked perfectly. (Which I keep on in my q7 right now as well)

Based On my short test drive, I plan on keeping these settings when my car arrives. Yes, I would have liked some more power, but it is adequate (if there is such a thing).

To those who are facing problems, I would get this checked out asap

With regard to the delayed restart that people are reporting and throttle lag, I only have this problem in my q7 at one particular 4 way stop at the top of a small hill. The start stop engages while stopped going uphill, and takes a few seconds to start again - which is very annoying. The stop sign is near my house, and I have this happen to me about 10% of the time

I would say that the start stop function on the q8 is much smoother than the q7, perhaps due to the mild hybrid system.

jrjunior31 02-09-2019 09:37 PM

In regards to those Individual settings, I had my steering set on Sport for awhile and found it to be too artificial and “heavy” feeling. Another member here I think mentioned something similar. I switched it to Auto and it’s a big improvement, haven’t changed it back since. My suspension is on Sport (lowest) and I never touch that either. I forget what my engine is set to. If engine Is set to sport is that the same thing as Sport mode when pulling down the gear selector?

GK12345EMAIL 02-10-2019 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by jrjunior31 (Post 25274173)
In regards to those Individual settings, I had my steering set on Sport for awhile and found it to be too artificial and “heavy” feeling. Another member here I think mentioned something similar. I switched it to Auto and it’s a big improvement, haven’t changed it back since. My suspension is on Sport (lowest) and I never touch that either. I forget what my engine is set to. If engine Is set to sport is that the same thing as Sport mode when pulling down the gear selector?

yes it should be the same. Just like in the ’17 Q7.

I liked the heavy steering feel in the q8. It reminded me of my bmw before they added too much assist to their steering in more recent versions of the x5.

FYI - my q7 doesn’t produce the heavy steering feel when I keep that in sport steering mode

But maybe my views will change with long term use of the q8.

SherylR 02-15-2019 01:22 AM

YES!!!!!! I can't tell you how much I hate the auto stop/start. The lag is awful. I find myself leaning forward to try to get my car to go. It is dangerous. I want a way to permanently disable this feature. EVERY SINGLE DAY I forget, but as soon as I get to my first stop sign I remember. THE LAG IS AWFUL!!!!!

McGriddle 02-15-2019 05:31 AM

We haven't had any issues with our Q8. If anything, it's been the smoothest start/stop we've experienced to date. We previously had auto start/stop on my Jaguar F-Type S and I found that very unrefined and a bit jerky in re-starting, but it was livable in heavy traffic. On our previous BMW X1, the start/stop was ok, though a touch laggy and unpredictable. But again, it was still livable in the BMW.

Our Q8 start/stop been completely unobtrusive and mostly unnoticeable compared to the Jag or BMW. Very smooth and no lag in re-starting at all. I haven't yet even turned the system off, which surprised me since I usually expect that I won't like the stop/start.

mike99 02-20-2019 05:35 AM

I did a fair amount of testing over the weekend on my Q8 related to the lag (early morning simulation on side roads). What I've found is that there is a significant lag in the following situation - transmission in D (vs. S), if the stop/start has kicked in, and you need to accelerate quickly (e.g,. making a fast turn into moving traffic), almost always there will be a lag from the time you press the gas pedal (hard) until the vehicle begins to move. I timed it to be about 3 seconds - sometime a bit longer. What's worse - I think - is that when the car does engage it does so with force and speed and makes it very difficult to change course or stop where you want to stop. My personal situation is taking a left hand turn every morning into traffic. Depending upon the duration of the lag, it may be that I would want to abort the turn if enough time lapsed - but what will happen is that the car will move into the road somewhat before I can brake - leaving half my car on the road perpendicular to oncoming traffic.

If I am in D but simply stopped at a stop sign or a red light and I proceed without needing any significant speed, things operate more or less as you would expect. Driving in S mode (or turning off the auto stop-start) will eliminate the problem. However, I've found the transmission to be less than smooth in S mode on my Q8.

Right now I am fairly conscious to drive in S mode but it is a bit troubling for a car in this price range to exhibit this behavior. My prior S5 also had a bit of a lag, but nothing like the Q8. I can't recall driving a vehicle in the last 30 years with such a pronounced delay when looking for power.

SammyH 02-20-2019 06:10 AM

Well that's troubling...to say the least. To be fair, I've never driven a car with start/stop and didn't turn off the feature immediately, I hate it and there's always a lag. With that said 3 seconds is unacceptable. Do you guys think this is a simple fix from Audi on existing cars or is it permanent and you better hope your particular Q8 doesn't have that issue? My car is due to arrive in a couple of weeks and wondering if this issue has been addressed.