Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would it would be crazy to think that the US would allow the 'coasting option' unlocked in the Q8? I'm assuming the US software doesn't allow it, but how cool would it be if in a year's time that could be an option. Just day dreaming over here...

Have a good week
Old 04-11-2019, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q8 Throttle Problems. We have the same problem with our Q8.

We have the same Throttle problems with our Q8. Coming home from dinner last night we almost got in a wreck because of it. Talking to the dealer AGAIN about this today. Very VERY unhappy. Unsafe car!!!!
Originally Posted by KSpider 13
Hey guys, I have about 2700 miles on my Q8 now. LOVE the car (pictured below!) however, im having a serious issue. I would like to know if any other owners are experiencing this.

When coming to a rolling or almost complete stop , auto start/stop will kick in, then if I go to turn/accelerate there is a up to 3 or 4 second lag between pressing on the accelerator and ANY throttle response. It is scary at times when pulling onto a street and the car will not respond after a few seconds. I can put pedal to the metal and nothing happens.

As soon as the break is released the engine comes on, that isn't the issue.

The dealer just called me and was able to replicate the issue on my car, AND a brand new Q8 they had on the lot. This tells me it is an issue with the ECU/system in probably all the new Q8/A8/A7s that apparently all have a completely new Stop/Start system; Not just my car.

It is a bit scary and if they don't have a fix for it, it'd be nice for others with this issue to contact their dealer etc. and make corporate realize its an issue.... or you guys can just tell me you haven't had this issue and I am alone on this : )

Old 04-14-2019, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KSpider 13
Hey guys, I have about 2700 miles on my Q8 now. LOVE the car (pictured below!) however, im having a serious issue. I would like to know if any other owners are experiencing this.

When coming to a rolling or almost complete stop , auto start/stop will kick in, then if I go to turn/accelerate there is a up to 3 or 4 second lag between pressing on the accelerator and ANY throttle response. It is scary at times when pulling onto a street and the car will not respond after a few seconds. I can put pedal to the metal and nothing happens.

As soon as the break is released the engine comes on, that isn't the issue.

The dealer just called me and was able to replicate the issue on my car, AND a brand new Q8 they had on the lot. This tells me it is an issue with the ECU/system in probably all the new Q8/A8/A7s that apparently all have a completely new Stop/Start system; Not just my car.

It is a bit scary and if they don't have a fix for it, it'd be nice for others with this issue to contact their dealer etc. and make corporate realize its an issue.... or you guys can just tell me you haven't had this issue and I am alone on this : )
Hello KSpider,

I created an account on this site just to reply to this. I am having the exact same issue in my brand new Q8, just a few hundred miles on it. Literally almost killed me yesterday. I cam to an intersection stopped and then immediately proceeded when a guy ran a light and was heading right for me. Put the peddle to the floor and literally sat for about 3-4 seconds before any power was applied at all to the wheels. The only reason there was not a collision is because the other vehicle slammed on his breaks, had he not I believe both cars would have been totaled.

I drove to the dealership to complain about this yesterday and was told that disabling start stop and driving in S should negate this issue. This is my first Audi and it is really discouraging that a car with a sticker of 95K cannot be used safely without disabling features on by default every time you start the vehicle. Other than this issue, the Q8 is essentially my perfect vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
David McCharles (01-27-2020)
Old 04-14-2019, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Major Throttle Lag issue.

I also have a new Q8. Really like the car EXCEPT for two major issues. The throttle problem and the drivers seat.

I was was told by the dealership the same thing as Spider was told. It doesn’t cure the problem. Then I was told that just brushing the brake pedal with my foot would stop the car from going forward. So when I got the car back from “repair” I took it out on a deserted parking lot and brushed my foot on the brake pedal and it had no effect on the car from going forward. I had to apply normal pressure to the brake pedal before the car would slow down at all. While there I tried to duplicate the lagging throttle issue and the car performed perfectly. I have been scared TWICE at an intersection with my Q8 so the problem is, in my opinion, hiding until the next time. It sounds like a computer glitch or virus perhaps???
whatever it is, it needs to be addressed by the Audi factory before someone really gets hurt.!!
Old 04-14-2019, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I noticed this the first week of ownership of my Q8 back in November of 2018 and it continues today. Previously i had a 17 Q7 and an 18 Q7 and i never experienced this issue. The closest thing was I experienced was [I think it is called the Cross Traffic Alert or something] one time I came to a T-intersection and decided to goose it to beat an oncoming car that was not going to fast and was going to turn on to my street. I was turning left and had to cross the traffic lane coming from the left [no cars were coming from that direction, just from the right] Just as i started to cross the left oncoming lane my car stopped and an alert flashed. I panicked, the car would not go forward, i tried to put in reverse and it would not go. The oncoming car had to hit the breaks and stop. I then shifted into Park and then drive and the car moved. Now that i understand that system a bit better it has never happened again.
My Q8 the issue is common after i come to a complete stop, it doesn't happen every time or every other time but it is frequent. It has happened on single lane road intersections with no other cars around, it has happened on multi-lane roads with cars lined up from all directions at stop lights.
It is dangerous. The Q8 starts to go and then "bogs" down, coasting but no response to the gas pedal. My first reaction is to floor it, but nothing happens so I slowly role out into the lane of traffic. Usually when in traffic it will cause the car behind me to honk. Sometimes I have a bit more momentum when this happens than other times but it is very noticeable. I believe this has happened in S mode but can't say for sure, I will drive in S mode for the next few days to see. I truly thought Audi would have a fix for this within a month or two, but now i am wondering if Audi even acknowledges it to be a problem.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lucci
I noticed this the first week of ownership of my Q8 back in November of 2018 and it continues today. Previously i had a 17 Q7 and an 18 Q7 and i never experienced this issue. The closest thing was I experienced was [I think it is called the Cross Traffic Alert or something] one time I came to a T-intersection and decided to goose it to beat an oncoming car that was not going to fast and was going to turn on to my street. I was turning left and had to cross the traffic lane coming from the left [no cars were coming from that direction, just from the right] Just as i started to cross the left oncoming lane my car stopped and an alert flashed. I panicked, the car would not go forward, i tried to put in reverse and it would not go. The oncoming car had to hit the breaks and stop. I then shifted into Park and then drive and the car moved. Now that i understand that system a bit better it has never happened again.
My Q8 the issue is common after i come to a complete stop, it doesn't happen every time or every other time but it is frequent. It has happened on single lane road intersections with no other cars around, it has happened on multi-lane roads with cars lined up from all directions at stop lights.
It is dangerous. The Q8 starts to go and then "bogs" down, coasting but no response to the gas pedal. My first reaction is to floor it, but nothing happens so I slowly role out into the lane of traffic. Usually when in traffic it will cause the car behind me to honk. Sometimes I have a bit more momentum when this happens than other times but it is very noticeable. I believe this has happened in S mode but can't say for sure, I will drive in S mode for the next few days to see. I truly thought Audi would have a fix for this within a month or two, but now i am wondering if Audi even acknowledges it to be a problem.
just turn off auto start/stop

you don’t need to be in S

this is a well documented issue on the Cayenne forum as well

BTW, I had the same thing happen to me 2-3 times in my Q7, turning left while oncoming traffic was approaching

this is different though. This is due to the awful start stop system allowing the car to coast a bit more (mild hybrid!). VW group screwed this up and probably the only software fix would involve lowering their fuel economy claims which they probably don’t want to do
Old 04-14-2019, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 786 Likes on 573 Posts

For those of you who know what LSPI stands for, I seriously wonder if this issue exists in an effort to help eliminate LSPI?

Thoughts, for those of you who understand this and have witnessed this lag first hand?
Old 04-14-2019, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not limited to the Q8 or Cayenne either. Range Rover owners are complaining of the same issue, in both the full size RR and the RR Sport. The stop-start system seems to be the likely culprit there as well.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL
just turn off auto start/stop....
Ok, I did and it seemed to work. I drove a lot of start stop traffic today and normally would have experienced this at least once and likely more than once, but not today. Thanks for the tip.
Is there a way to disable this from being enabled upon start of the engine?
Old 04-14-2019, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lucci
Ok, I did and it seemed to work. I drove a lot of start stop traffic today and normally would have experienced this at least once and likely more than once, but not today. Thanks for the tip.
Is there a way to disable this from being enabled upon start of the engine?
unfortunately not - I heard you can’t disable it even with software mods.

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue