Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 / Q8 > Audi Q8 > Audi Q8
Reload this Page >

Intro / Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro / Auto start - major throttle lag issue

 
Old 04-16-2019, 04:22 PM
  #51  
AudiWorld Member
 
dwboston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 393
Default

Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
It's not limited to the Q8 or Cayenne either. Range Rover owners are complaining of the same issue, in both the full size RR and the RR Sport. The stop-start system seems to be the likely culprit there as well.
Apparently Range Rover has software fixes out for their throttle lag issue. The updates are for the transmission control module and one of the other engine control modules. The owner who had it done said it fixes the issue.
dwboston is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 05:29 PM
  #52  
AudiWorld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 16
Default This is true

Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
Apparently Range Rover has software fixes out for their throttle lag issue. The updates are for the transmission control module and one of the other engine control modules. The owner who had it done said it fixes the issue.
i have a RR TD6 and it has always had the lag issue. I had it reflashed but it still has a fair amount of lag even with stop/start off. Very disappointing for cars in this class.

I have a Q8 on order and seriously thinking of walking away from it. Had enough of this throttle lag issues...
gpa9504 is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 05:32 PM
  #53  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 120
Default

Me too but after a lot of test drives the dynamic and sport mode just about resolve the issue. Iím hopeful they will resolve the issue but I need to decide if I can live with it if they donít.

[I have a Q8 on order and seriously thinking of walking away from it. Had enough of this throttle lag issues...[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Jsf721; 04-16-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Jsf721 is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 10:59 PM
  #54  
AudiWorld Member
 
jrjunior31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 541
Default

Originally Posted by Jsf721 View Post
Me too but after a lot of test drives the dynamic and port mode just about resolve the issue. Iím hopeful they will resolve the issue but I need to decide if I can live with it if they donít.

[I have a Q8 on order and seriously thinking of walking away from it. Had enough of this throttle lag issues...
Dynamic mode is the stiffest (and lowest) suspension setting, and the heaviest steering setting. It doesnít affect throttle. Thereís no way to start the car in Sport throttle. You have to manually pull down the shifter to change from standard Drive mode to Sport mode. Sport mode disables Auto S/S and therefore eliminates any lag issues. The Auto S/S mild hybrid combo is not a well engineered system on the Q8 from my experience. The car operates best with the system disabled. As far as saving gas, someone correct me if Iím wrong, but I donít believe Auto S/S saves you much of anything.

In regards to overall mileage I do 85% city with a lot of stop and go and some hills. I get about 13 mpgs. I have 4K miles. Unless you are doing all freeway donít buy a Q8 for its fuel economy, youíll likely be disappointed.
jrjunior31 is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 06:53 AM
  #55  
AudiWorld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 24
Default

Let me get this straight. You must disable a feature in order to 'improve' the safety of the vehicle. Or to be blunt.....disabling may prevent your death.

We have a Q8 with almost 5000 miles. My wife has put 95% of the miles on the car. This issue has happened almost daily. I have been to the dealer; their response is that we are double footing the brake and accelerator at the same time....causeing the vehicle to go into some sort of limp mode/diagnostic mode. I can assure you we are single foot drivers. At leaving the dealer yesterday.....diagnostics found nothing; it happened again on the way home. I was extremely cautious to not have my foot on the brake and accelerator together or simultaneously. Time to go for a drive to demonstrate the problem.

BTW....she wants Audi to take the car back because of this life threatening problem.
grssypond is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 07:17 AM
  #56  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 120
Default

If you want action force your dealer to bring it to Audi and call the NHTA to report a dangerous problem. After speaking with Audi they will not acknowledge the issue so It will never be fixed. I am so upset because I want to buy this so badly but I fear Audiís denial of this issue is only the tip of my frustration with the brand.

Hell they wonít even fix the blaring audio problem when switching between inputs which is simple stuff.

They St have your money and now they are complacent. They did not care that I was at the dealer to order and stopped due to this issue.

I hope this gets figured out before I buy something else. Iíd rather not have to drive in sport all the time.

Originally Posted by grssypond View Post
Let me get this straight. You must disable a feature in order to 'improve' the safety of the vehicle. Or to be blunt.....disabling may prevent your death.

We have a Q8 with almost 5000 miles. My wife has put 95% of the miles on the car. This issue has happened almost daily. I have been to the dealer; their response is that we are double footing the brake and accelerator at the same time....causeing the vehicle to go into some sort of limp mode/diagnostic mode. I can assure you we are single foot drivers. At leaving the dealer yesterday.....diagnostics found nothing; it happened again on the way home. I was extremely cautious to not have my foot on the brake and accelerator together or simultaneously. Time to go for a drive to demonstrate the problem.

BTW....she wants Audi to take the car back because of this life threatening problem.
Jsf721 is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 12:20 PM
  #57  
AudiWorld Member
 
jrjunior31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 541
Default

Originally Posted by grssypond View Post
Let me get this straight. You must disable a feature in order to 'improve' the safety of the vehicle. Or to be blunt.....disabling may prevent your death.
Just have your wife turn off Auto S/S every time. It becomes second nature. Not ideal but unfortunately many newer cars donít allow Auto S/S setting to be memorized, and other makes are having throttle lag issues as well. Audi has been denying service for other issues over the past couple years (the Q7 owners were mentioning it) so you may waste a lot of time and energy trying to haggle with them over this. I donít see this getting fixed anytime soon. Itís something that hopefully gets adressed across the board with a software update like with Range Rover. First year production vehicles will have teething problems itís unavoidable. The new X5 has a myriad of software and driver assistance issues. Range Rovers are always in the shop, the new Cayenne has issues. Thereís no perfect cars. My last four cars were two Porsche (one was a lemon) and two Audis. The Audis are solid cars, my Q8 has had zero trips to the dealer. I just hit the Auto S/S button and the throttle is fine.

Originally Posted by Jsf721 View Post
If you want action force your dealer to bring it to Audi and call the NHTA to report a dangerous problem. After speaking with Audi they will not acknowledge the issue so It will never be fixed. I am so upset because I want to buy this so badly but I fear Audiís denial of this issue is only the tip of my frustration with the brand.

Hell they wonít even fix the blaring audio problem when switching between inputs which is simple stuff.

They St have your money and now they are complacent. They did not care that I was at the dealer to order and stopped due to this issue.

I hope this gets figured out before I buy something else. Iíd rather not have to drive in sport all the time.
See above: Donít need to drive in Sport all the time, just turn Auto S/S off. Again, thereís no bulletproof cars when you want a high-tech luxury SUV. Donít let this issue ruin your day. Drive the other competitors and do your research. The Q8 is an excellent all around vehicle.
jrjunior31 is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 12:35 PM
  #58  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 120
Default

Thanks for sharing that. I did not realize that turning off the start stop resolved the issue. If that is truly tbe case I would purchase the Q8 and be happy.


Do you have the volume issues between inputs. Getting blown out going from one to the other would be annoying. Is that dealer fixable ?

Originally Posted by jrjunior31 View Post
Just have your wife turn off Auto S/S every time. It becomes second nature. Not ideal but unfortunately many newer cars donít allow Auto S/S setting to be memorized, and other makes are having throttle lag issues as well. Audi has been denying service for other issues over the past couple years (the Q7 owners were mentioning it) so you may waste a lot of time and energy trying to haggle with them over this. I donít see this getting fixed anytime soon. Itís something that hopefully gets adressed across the board with a software update like with Range Rover. First year production vehicles will have teething problems itís unavoidable. The new X5 has a myriad of software and driver assistance issues. Range Rovers are always in the shop, the new Cayenne has issues. Thereís no perfect cars. My last four cars were two Porsche (one was a lemon) and two Audis. The Audis are solid cars, my Q8 has had zero trips to the dealer. I just hit the Auto S/S button and the throttle is fine.



See above: Donít need to drive in Sport all the time, just turn Auto S/S off. Again, thereís no bulletproof cars when you want a high-tech luxury SUV. Donít let this issue ruin your day. Drive the other competitors and do your research. The Q8 is an excellent all around vehicle.
Jsf721 is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 04:54 PM
  #59  
AudiWorld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 24
Default

In speaking with AoA today about the throttle lag, they had not heard of concerns. But, she did not get my name, address, dealer or VIN. So, my take is that they are not recording concerns. And if there is no documentation or data....then it never happened. Notice there is no data collection when you speak with them.

Curious question.....does the government mandate S/S on all new cars or is it a tech that the automakers are adopting to 'be green'?

My Macan has S/S, but no coasting. There is a slight lag, but I have adapted. I have had several diesel trucks over the years......and I have adapted easily to the lag for safety purposes. Again, not bad. I think the are several components to the hesitation. First, it is unpredictable.....so you could make a decision and get hung out..so to speak. Second, it is truly 3-4 seconds....and that leaves you OMG/Oh **** land when it happens. Thirdly, we are not talking turbo lag.

I'll be visiting the dealer next week. I will be trying to reicate consistently before my visit so I give give an accurate demonstration the is repeatable..
grssypond is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 05:11 PM
  #60  
AudiWorld Member
 
dwboston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 393
Default

Originally Posted by grssypond View Post
In speaking with AoA today about the throttle lag, they had not heard of concerns. But, she did not get my name, address, dealer or VIN. So, my take is that they are not recording concerns. And if there is no documentation or data....then it never happened. Notice there is no data collection when you speak with them.

Curious question.....does the government mandate S/S on all new cars or is it a tech that the automakers are adopting to 'be green'?

My Macan has S/S, but no coasting. There is a slight lag, but I have adapted. I have had several diesel trucks over the years......and I have adapted easily to the lag for safety purposes. Again, not bad. I think the are several components to the hesitation. First, it is unpredictable.....so you could make a decision and get hung out..so to speak. Second, it is truly 3-4 seconds....and that leaves you OMG/Oh **** land when it happens. Thirdly, we are not talking turbo lag.

I'll be visiting the dealer next week. I will be trying to reicate consistently before my visit so I give give an accurate demonstration the is repeatable..
I don't believe S/S is government mandated, at least in the US. It has been adopted by manufacturers as a way to artificially pump up fuel economy ratings. It's ridiculous that it can't be shut off permanently by the consumer.

People should file NHTSA complaints if Audi is playing dumb. Any situation where safety was compromised or, god forbid, an accident happened because of it will be taken seriously by the government.
dwboston is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intro / Auto start - major throttle lag issue


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: