AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/)
-   -   Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/intro-auto-start-major-throttle-lag-issue-2966888/)

Alphatero 05-31-2019 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by SoundsoftheSuburbs (Post 25323780)
This is the most annoying thing about my Q8. I live in a dense suburban area with a lot of stop signs and traffic lights. Coming from a diesel vehicle with 400lb-ft of low-end torque, I knew that going down was going to feel different. However, I feel like the lagging acceleration with the start/stop feature on has caused me to miss a protected left light or two. It can be so bad that I worry that the people behind me are going to blow their horn. It can be scary when trying to cut through cross traffic.

So put in in "sport". Problem solved

Jsf721 05-31-2019 06:02 AM

It makes it better not gone IMHO and this also kills the already poor MPG this beast delivers.

Its a workaround but not an acceptable solution for the 80K plus vehicle I specified.

I have a long post re the call got from Audi of America I will try to add this weekend in hopes it helps gets Audi to fix the issue correctly.

Originally Posted by Alphatero (Post 25323855)

JeffSmith 05-31-2019 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Alphatero (Post 25323855)

I am not enthused about purchasing a beautiful car that has excessive turbo lag and the default on start-stop. BMW used to have a problem with turbo lag but they fixed it. My last several have not had any noticeable turbo lag. I had a friend program the auto start function to default to off using an All Data scan tool. I am waiting for Audi to address these two problems before I buy the Q8.

Jsf721 05-31-2019 06:19 AM

I am in your camp. Can’t buy this as it is now.

And I’m pissed because it’s other wise perfect for me.

Originally Posted by JeffSmith (Post 25323872)
I am not enthused about purchasing a beautiful car that has excessive turbo lag and the default on start-stop. BMW used to have a problem with turbo lag but they fixed it. My last several have not had any noticeable turbo lag. I had a friend program the auto start function to default to off using an All Data scan tool. I am waiting for Audi to address these two problems before I buy the Q8.

Alphatero 05-31-2019 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by JeffSmith (Post 25323872)

I was addressing the poster's concern that he couldn't trust the car to make a left turn in front of oncoming traffic. Sport/dynamic solves that problem. Screw the gas mileage

JeffSmith 05-31-2019 07:16 AM

I have no concern about gas mileage.

Troy Nguyen 05-31-2019 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by critter6835 (Post 25273253)
OP is your problem resolved by turning off the auto start stop?

I second that! I used to experience the lag in the parking and lot and at the light/stop signs. I am making a habit of turning off my start/stop everytime I get in my Q8. Haven't had any lag issue since.

cheetos72 06-05-2019 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by KSpider 13 (Post 25273025)
Hey guys, I have about 2700 miles on my Q8 now. LOVE the car (pictured below!) however, im having a serious issue. I would like to know if any other owners are experiencing this.

When coming to a rolling or almost complete stop , auto start/stop will kick in, then if I go to turn/accelerate there is a up to 3 or 4 second lag between pressing on the accelerator and ANY throttle response. It is scary at times when pulling onto a street and the car will not respond after a few seconds. I can put pedal to the metal and nothing happens.

As soon as the break is released the engine comes on, that isn't the issue.

The dealer just called me and was able to replicate the issue on my car, AND a brand new Q8 they had on the lot. This tells me it is an issue with the ECU/system in probably all the new Q8/A8/A7s that apparently all have a completely new Stop/Start system; Not just my car.

It is a bit scary and if they don't have a fix for it, it'd be nice for others with this issue to contact their dealer etc. and make corporate realize its an issue.... or you guys can just tell me you haven't had this issue and I am alone on this : )

Having the exact same issue! I have about 4000 miles on it and I will tell you I've been in some scary situations with this.

Jsf721 06-06-2019 08:50 AM

I discovered this on my test drive of the Q8. After calling Audi of AMERICA they suggested I drive a different vehicle and it was still present. This time I had the sales person drive as well and he had never noticed it before but after I pointed it out he agreed. We visited the service manager and he said it’s operating as designed. I said no way please drive it. He said he was aware however there is no fix because it’s operating as designed.

I reported this to Audi and felt it fell on deaf ears. I purchased a BMW. Weeks later I got a call from Audi thanking me for my detailed feedback and referencing specific sales people and service manager. I had my case escalated from customer service /experience to engineering for confirmation. No commitment on a fix but the door is now open and I suggest anyone with a Q8 pile your concerns into AOa and your dealer service do both because dealer service is lazy to move on this because it’s a ton of paperwork to report.

I told Audi this needs to be fixed before someone making a left gets T boned because the throttle did not respond. This is a fuel savings feature so change will be at the expense of already poor MPG but at least it will be safe.

Good luck. I hope they fix it bc then it will be my next vehicle !

Originally Posted by cheetos72 (Post 25326567)
Having the exact same issue! I have about 4000 miles on it and I will tell you I've been in some scary situations with this.

Bearcat 06-06-2019 08:58 PM

This is just nuts. Just drove a Q8 the other day and was thinking of buying one loaded (around 96k)....then saw this. I didn’t do the left turn thing but this is obviously not an isolated incident. I’ll keep watching for updates but no way will I buy one with this going on. Having to turn that off every time you drive is unacceptable for a vehicle of this price tag.