Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 12:56 AM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

"There is, however, some weirdness in the throttle when starting from a stop. I don't know if it's turbo lag or poor throttle tuning from the factory, but this car does not appreciate a slow start. Light pressure on the gas pedal barely produces any forward motion, but the second I lean just a little harder, off it goes like a rocket. Thankfully, using the custom-tailored Individual drive mode makes up for some of this (engine set to Sport, transmission set to Comfort), but it doesn't eliminate the problem entirely. Setting the transmission to Sport leaves the revs hanging too often, which eats into fuel economy."—Andrew Krok for CNET.com

My salesman called me two weeks out to ask me how I was enjoying the Q8. Do you think I should mention it to him?
Old 06-07-2019, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

To me the issue presents in the following situations. Your driving at a speed of 45MPH. You lift off the gas to cost bc the light you are approaching is red. The light turns green so you go back to the gas but there is no acceleration so you press harder and in 2-3 seconds boom you get the engine to respond but now it’s too much too late.

The next situation is even more dangerous. You approach and intersection to make a left. If you don’t come to a full stop you have the same no response to the throttle, only now if there is traffic coming, you run the risk of being hit and broad sidled or T boned..

I cannot believe that Audi would allow this to remain on the road. Be safe out there guys and press Audi to fix this issue for your own safety.

QUOTE=Bearcat;25327099]This is just nuts. Just drove a Q8 the other day and was thinking of buying one loaded (around 96k)....then saw this. I didn’t do the left turn thing but this is obviously not an isolated incident. I’ll keep watching for updates but no way will I buy one with this going on. Having to turn that off every time you drive is unacceptable for a vehicle of this price tag.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Jsf721; 06-11-2019 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Um....

hell yes. We need this fixed.

Originally Posted by SoundsoftheSuburbs

My salesman called me two weeks out to ask me how I was enjoying the Q8. Do you think I should mention it to him?
Old 06-07-2019, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Several years ago BMW fuel pumps would turn on and off while driving. The car would go into "limp" mode upon acceleration. Several folks were in serious accidents when they needed power (entering the Interstate) and were suddenly limited to 5 mph. BMW jumped on it and extended the factory warranty for fuel pumps to 12 years. The potential seriousness, re: the Audi start-stop issue, is obvious.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

After speaking with Audi and dealer service I believe it’s going to take the NHTSB or some horrible accidents that lead to law suits to get Audi to move quickly.

The issue sue is they just went through through the diesel gate with VW and got spanked into the millions in penalties. If they fix this issue MPG will plummet and it’s not great now. So it can be seen as we got this car through the EPA at 16/21 and not it’s 13/17 after the fix (I made up numbers based on where Range Rover ended up after the same type of fix).

I told Audi I will buy this car if you tell me it will be fixed in 60 days. They said it was working as designed at the time and I purchased a BMW that day. My wife’s car is up in August and I’d buy the Q8 if this is fixed and give her my BMw (she would not care at all) if this issue were resolved 100 percent.

Good of luck to us and if everyone who has the issue calls Audi of america customer experience and complains to dealer service and presses the. To reality up that would be the only way I see this getting fixed without law suits.

Originally Posted by JeffSmith
Several years ago BMW fuel pumps would turn on and off while driving. The car would go into "limp" mode upon acceleration. Several folks were in serious accidents when they needed power (entering the Interstate) and were suddenly limited to 5 mph. BMW jumped on it and extended the factory warranty for fuel pumps to 12 years. The potential seriousness, re: the Audi start-stop issue, is obvious.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I completely agree with everyone...this is a serious issue and needs to be addressed by Audi...you really just need to turn off start/stop when you get in. For me it's become a habit, especially since I hate the feature anyway even if it's working perfectly. I doubt there will be a fix anytime soon so get used to turning it off and living with the reduced gas mileage.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SammyH
While I completely agree with everyone...this is a serious issue and needs to be addressed by Audi...you really just need to turn off start/stop when you get in. For me it's become a habit, especially since I hate the feature anyway even if it's working perfectly. I doubt there will be a fix anytime soon so get used to turning it off and living with the reduced gas mileage.
Agree - just turn it off people
The following users liked this post:
jmike52 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being able to control my vehicle, to turn on and off significant features, is an integral expectation of mine when I pay $90K. Call me unrealistic if you wish. All of my BMWs allow me the feature to turn on and turn off the stop-start feature. When it is turned off - it stays turned off until I wish to turn it back on. Simple.
The following users liked this post:
Peculiar_rhetoric (05-15-2020)
Old 06-10-2019, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can turn it off? In most cars today this feature exists and defaults to on - even if you turn it off the next time you turn on the car it will be back on. Most recent BMWs do not function as you stated - they default back to on when the car is restarted. *Edit it appears to be a recent change for BMWs as there is lots of chatter about it on bimmer forums

Last edited by critter6835; 06-10-2019 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, you can turn it off, but will come back on when you restart the car. Button is on lower panel and near garage door button so not a reach to turn off both. Can also defeat by pulling gear shift back to engage Sport Mode.

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue