Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Key Fob Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Key Fob Issues

My unlock button on the key fob will fail to work about 5-10% of the time when approaching the car from a slight distance. It will finally work after 5 or so presses if you are right next to the car. Never had this issue on any car before. Bizarre. Anyone else?
Old 01-30-2019, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a bad fob battery from the factory would not be impossible.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Do both keys operate the same? If not, then the key and not the car. Check the key battery voltage.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had this issue sporadically. It seems to have gone away recently, but for a few days it either wouldn't work until I was basically at the car or a few feet away. If there was anything significant between me and the car (like rows of cars) it doesn't seem to work until there are no obstructions. It's not the most responsive fob Audi has ever used, that is for sure.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Hmm, thought it may be the battery (although that doesn’t explain the issue being intermittent), but now seeing someone else with the same issue not so sure. Weird. The comfort entry/locking works seamlessly however. I also coded off the key fob range limitation with OBDeleven, and I can fold the mirrors from the key fob as well. There’s some issue with the unlock button or unlock range on the fob it seems like since all these other functions always work.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Hmm, thought it may be the battery (although that doesn’t explain the issue being intermittent), but now seeing someone else with the same issue not so sure. Weird. The comfort entry/locking works seamlessly however. I also coded off the key fob range limitation with OBDeleven, and I can fold the mirrors from the key fob as well. There’s some issue with the unlock button or unlock range on the fob it seems like since all these other functions always work.
Could be an antenna issue in the vehicle (i believe they still need these for the systems to work).
Old 02-10-2019, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a heads up. I had transient issues with keyless entry not working for several weeks. Eventually I had low battery warning, and couldn't start the car. Turned out there was a faulty SOS power module that was draining the battery. Got it replaced and have had no issue with the keys.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@jrjunior31 Intermittent issues with key fobs can be frustrating, but they are not uncommon. Here are some potential causes and solutions for your situation:
  1. Weak battery: A weak battery in the key fob can cause intermittent issues with the buttons not functioning properly. Try replacing the battery with a fresh one to see if it resolves the problem.
  2. Interference: Radio frequency interference from other devices, such as a mobile phone or other electronic devices, can sometimes disrupt the signal between the key fob and the car. Try moving closer to the car and away from other electronic devices to see if it improves the signal.
  3. Faulty key fob: If the battery replacement and interference checks do not solve the problem, it is possible that the key fob itself may be faulty. In this case, you may need to have the key fob inspected and potentially replaced by a dealer or a qualified technician.
  4. Programming: In some cases, the key fob may need to be reprogrammed to the car's system. This can be done by following the instructions in the owner's manual or by visiting a dealership or a qualified technician.
I hope these suggestions help you diagnose and resolve the issue with your key fob. If the problem persists, I recommend consulting with a dealership or a qualified technician to further diagnose and repair the issue.