Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Lockouts with key in car

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lockouts with key in car

Hi,

For the second time since picking up the car around 2 months ago, my wife managed to lock herself out of the car with the key inside.

The situation each time has been:

1. The key was in a handbag on the front passenger seat.
2. After parking in a car park, she gets out of the drivers side and walks immediately to the passenger door to grab her bag (probably 30 seconds max)
3. When she reaches the passenger side door, the car has locked itself with the key inside and there is no way of regaining entry. All doors are locked and there is no means of regaining entry.

Fortunately each time she was alone, but we have a 4 year old and another one due next month. Would hate to think that a child was in the car when this happened.

I don’t understand - had a SQ5 for 5 years and it was not possible to lock the keys in the car. How can this happen on a brand new model? Anyone else experienced this? We’re going to do some testing tonight, to figure out exactly when (and hopefully whiny this happens).
The following users liked this post:
MWasner (10-02-2021)
Old 05-29-2019, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Locked out also

Originally Posted by blackie36
Hi,

For the second time since picking up the car around 2 months ago, my wife managed to lock herself out of the car with the key inside.

The situation each time has been:

1. The key was in a handbag on the front passenger seat.
2. After parking in a car park, she gets out of the drivers side and walks immediately to the passenger door to grab her bag (probably 30 seconds max)
3. When she reaches the passenger side door, the car has locked itself with the key inside and there is no way of regaining entry. All doors are locked and there is no means of regaining entry.

Fortunately each time she was alone, but we have a 4 year old and another one due next month. Would hate to think that a child was in the car when this happened.

I don’t understand - had a SQ5 for 5 years and it was not possible to lock the keys in the car. How can this happen on a brand new model? Anyone else experienced this? We’re going to do some testing tonight, to figure out exactly when (and hopefully whiny this happens).
Similar situation just this evening. Stopped for gas, key in holding slot in center console, get out to pump gas, hear the car lock along with gas lid, phone in car, dog in car, 100 degree temperature in SC today, Thankfully a local sheriff has stopped for a cold drink...explained my dilemma...he drives me the 8 mile round trip to my house in record time to retrieve my extra key. Never had this happen with any other car...What is going on?!?!
Old 05-30-2019, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had similar situation and my phone app locked out (and audi says if your phone app locks you out they can't reset it - so it had 24 hours before I could try again). Absolutely ridiculous.

They had to call a locksmith - who took a good 15 seconds to get in the car.

Also strange one last week. My daughter was in the car and I had to run quick into the store. I left the car on with AC and left the keys then. She wanted to lock the door so she used the keys and locked the doors.

When we returned - she tried unlocking the doors with the keys and the doors would not unlock. So it seems they are programmed that if the keys are left in the car and the doors locked - those keys then no longer work (not just proximity sensor but the hard button itself). She had to crawl into the front to unlock the door.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

With the advent of keyless entry. I have been especially paranoid with the locks. It seems sometimes these cars will lock themselves. So i am always grabbing keys no matter what I do. Quick question when the battery dies in the keyfob. Will I still be able to get into the car? I assume even with a dead battery I can hold the keyfob near the start button and it will work? Or am I wrong on that as well?
Old 05-30-2019, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 786 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Elementalism
With the advent of keyless entry. I have been especially paranoid with the locks. It seems sometimes these cars will lock themselves. So i am always grabbing keys no matter what I do. Quick question when the battery dies in the keyfob. Will I still be able to get into the car? I assume even with a dead battery I can hold the keyfob near the start button and it will work? Or am I wrong on that as well?
Yes. Read the manual. It's hard to explain but there is a manual way to get in the car and it starts by popping off a cover in the handle if the Q8 process is the same as in the A8
Old 05-30-2019, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Interested in finding out how the keys got locked in the car. I just tried to lock my key in my Q8 and it was impossible to lock the door using the sensor.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

“Also strange one last week. My daughter was in the car and I had to run quick into the store. I left the car on with AC and left the keys then. She wanted to lock the door so she used the keys and locked the doors.”

I don’t think it is possible to lock the doors using the key fob with engine running UNLESS you have had this changed by the dealer or used an OBD Eleven to change the mode. May be the same gremlin issue we are discussing.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Paranoid after what happened last evening!

Originally Posted by skiphoyt
Similar situation just this evening. Stopped for gas, key in holding slot in center console, get out to pump gas, hear the car lock along with gas lid, phone in car, dog in car, 100 degree temperature in SC today, Thankfully a local sheriff has stopped for a cold drink...explained my dilemma...he drives me the 8 mile round trip to my house in record time to retrieve my extra key. Never had this happen with any other car...What is going on?!?!
After this concerning incident last evening I decided I needed to have the second key available. I detached the mechanical key, drilled a small hole hidden underneath the rear bumper, wired the key here, wrapped the key fob in aluminum foil and put it in the back of the small glove box to the left of the steering column. There must be some reason these new cars are self locking!
Old 05-30-2019, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you using the MyAudi Connect phone app? I have both locked and unlocked my car from the app successfully.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do the Service Reps, Service Techs, Salesperson, GMs say. Bet they say 'that can't happen'

Quick Reply: Lockouts with key in car