AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/)
-   -   MotorTrend First Test (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/motortrend-first-test-2971540/)

d2000one 05-02-2019 03:56 AM

MotorTrend First Test

Not the most flattering review...

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/audi...5D2EBFF12BA028

angrypengu 05-02-2019 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by d2000one (Post 25311012)

They're not wrong. I recently had a Q8 as a loaner and while I reserve commenting on things other than build quality which is what the MT article above comments on, the build quality comments are bang on. Take a look at the lower panel of the seats with the seat controls, or the dashboard, or the materials used on the door - they are not in the same league as the A8. They are more in line with the A7, and that's a fact.

That said, maybe I am not comparing apples to apples as I am not from the US. I also do not know if the Q8 has the optional extended leather package and if it does, then perhaps it can bring it in line with the A8

suni 05-02-2019 04:57 AM

Very objective review. With the deficiencies he noted and the many sloppy design flaws, this will likely be my 1st & last Audi.

SammyH 05-02-2019 07:19 AM

Objective shmobjective lol! Let Motortrend find a more stunning large SUV inside and out...with better performance, better tech, and more comfy for the low $70Ks I paid for Y-1 & adaptive chassis package. I don't care about the name, Q8, Q4, Q12 lol who cares. The car definitely has its share of deficiencies don't get me wrong, but everything I got for the price I paid is unbeatable IMO.

gk1 05-02-2019 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by angrypengu (Post 25311019)
They're not wrong. I recently had a Q8 as a loaner and while I reserve commenting on things other than build quality which is what the MT article above comments on, the build quality comments are bang on. Take a look at the lower panel of the seats with the seat controls, or the dashboard, or the materials used on the door - they are not in the same league as the A8. They are more in line with the A7, and that's a fact.

That said, maybe I am not comparing apples to apples as I am not from the US. I also do not know if the Q8 has the optional extended leather package and if it does, then perhaps it can bring it in line with the A8

Yep it seems like Audi's naming convention backed them into a corner. Perhaps they should have went with Q7 Coupe like the Cayenne since based on your reviews and theirs the Q8 is not on the same level as the A8.
I would have thought Q6, but perhaps they are saving that for the re-name of the current E-tron for when all Audi models are electric.

markcincinnati 05-02-2019 08:01 PM

Hopefully repeating our Q8's configuration will not be a turn-off, but perhaps this will allow me to put our impressions in context.

Q8 Premium Plus
Orca Black/Black leather seats
YR-1 Package
Driver Assitance
Cold weather package
CD
Towing
$79K+

I would not want the towing package but since we didn't order this car, we'll live with it -- since it does not improve the suspension, alternator, brakes, etc., why bother?
I would want ONE feature: the heads-up display. But you could, for less than $2k more get a Q8 Prestige YR-1 equipped.

One wish: more HP and torque. It wouldn't need a LOT of extra grunt, but it needs enough to make you forget you're driving a BIG suv.

So, for the money, the Q8 is a great vehicle, and as ours is equipped, does not make us say "For $79K we coulda had a . . . " Now, at $90K or more, having this much engine is too little.

At any price below $81K, this thing seems like it has value. A leather dash and all surfaces swathed in Leather (and the associated cost) is very nice, but adding those features seems to put the car into a price class that its engine can't compete with. And, although we love our Q8, it needs to quickly entertain the notion (at the dealership) of what it really is (and what it is not.)