Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Night vision package

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Night vision package

For those that have it can you comment on its performance ?

it is always on when dark or do you activate it when needed.

Does it it show up on the HUD or only con screen?

have you found it useful ?

thanks
Old 04-22-2019, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had night vision in my RS7 and felt it was a gimmick. You need to turn it on for use. It is supposed to detect people and you get a warning in the HUD. If the temperature is above ~85, the differentiation between people and the background disappears. You will have to drop your vision to the virtual cockpit to see the images as they are not projected to the HUD. Hardly ever used it and never ordered it again.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks I appreciate your post.

Originally Posted by LeicaNut
I had night vision in my RS7 and felt it was a gimmick. You need to turn it on for use. It is supposed to detect people and you get a warning in the HUD. If the temperature is above ~85, the differentiation between people and the background disappears. You will have to drop your vision to the virtual cockpit to see the images as they are not projected to the HUD. Hardly ever used it and never ordered it again.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by LeicaNut
same opinion on the HUD in my A6.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the Post.

i appreciate it.

Originally Posted by KevinGary
same opinion on the HUD in my A6.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Been discussed many times in the Q7 forums - a useful tool with limitations. I currently have it on both my Q7s, and previously on a series of BMWs. It works on IR temperature differentials, so yes, not useful above a certain temperature, or in certain weather conditions. It only works at night. In the Q7, you have to turn it on. Warnings do show up in the HUD, along with audible warnings, and the instrument cluster display is not inconvenient to me - that's where I check my speed, my NAV, my oil temp, my RPMs, and other information critical to the operation of the car. A logical place to put it. In the BMWs, it was on the screen in the center of the dash to the right of the driver, where you had to look away from the road and the instrument cluster. We live by a protected game preserve, so every evening and every morning, deer and wild turkey are strolling through and around the neighborhood, along with farm animals around the nearby highway. It alerts on animals and pedestrians far ahead of the headlights, so yes, I find it a useful feature, sometimes and under the right conditions. It's an additional safety feature, and whether it's worth it to you, depends.

Last edited by Doc H; 04-22-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had NV on my Q7, did not get it on myQ8. I felt the need to generally look down to the virtual cockpit to see the NV display was too distracting. Also, only had 1 or 2 alerts from the NV on the HUD in the 3 years and 44,930 miles I drove it. It was fun trying to drive through heavy snow or fog using it, and watching the heat on telephone pole transformers was cool - but not worth the extra $ to me.