Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

No Oil Consumption. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default No Oil Consumption. Normal?

Mine hasn't burned a drop of oil since I got it over 3000 miles ago. Is that normal.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you do a lot of stop and go, condensation can build up and cause the level to stay artificially high...it appears yours did drop just a bit (they're normally filled to max) but nothing at all to worry about. Trouble begins when one primarily drives in stop and go yet the oil level drops considerably...hope this helps.

Last edited by RJC 1; 01-06-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RJC 1
If you do a lot of stop and go, condensation can build up and cause the level to stay artificially high...it appears yours did drop just a bit (they're normally filled to max) but nothing at all to worry about. Trouble begins when one primarily drives in stop and go yet the oil level drops considerably...hope this helps.
Thanks for the input. Actually, that level is where it was when new. I wasn't aware of the condensation possibility; that is kind of scary since it seems like it could cause corrosion. Wouldn't the condensation disappear if the engine stayed at temperature for a while? I rarely make really short drives.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 786 Likes on 573 Posts

Based on design changes on the EA839 engine, I would not expect "oil consumption" to be an issue, at all, especially given the track record of the EA837.

Take a look at the SSP as it indicates the piston ring changes to "resolve" this long known Audi problem.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Based on design changes on the EA839 engine, I would not expect "oil consumption" to be an issue, at all, especially given the track record of the EA837.

Take a look at the SSP as it indicates the piston ring changes to "resolve" this long known Audi problem.
Thanks. What is "SSP"?
Old 01-07-2019, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rjabend
Thanks. What is "SSP"?
Self study program.

It's technical documentation meant for Audi technicians. You can google them.

Otherwise I have posted a copy in the D5 A8 forum
Old 01-07-2019, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rjabend
Thanks for the input. Actually, that level is where it was when new. I wasn't aware of the condensation possibility; that is kind of scary since it seems like it could cause corrosion. Wouldn't the condensation disappear if the engine stayed at temperature for a while? I rarely make really short drives.
There are additives in the oil that inhibit corrosion.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There are additives in the oil that inhibit corrosion.
And it would be burnt off without issue. It's fuel dilution that is a concern. Water, meh not so much.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
And it would be burnt off without issue. It's fuel dilution that is a concern. Water, meh not so much.
Wouldn't sweat it...every gasoline engine has it.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wouldn't sweat it...every gasoline engine has it.
Yes, but it depends on how rich the engines are fun. The 1st gen FSI Audi models on the B7 as an example ran rich AF. This resulted in significant oil shearing and thus increase in oil volatility.

Newer DI engines don't have this issue, but they all run rich and can't enter ultra lean burn mode because of the sulphur content in our fuel.This is why FSI = fuel stratified injection in the EU and FSI = fuel straight injection in the US.

If our engines run ultra lean and thus reduces the issue of fuel dilution, NOX emissions go through the roof. It's also why on the new D5 A8 there is now a gpf (gasoline particulate filter). I don't know about the Q8. It's to help achieve Euro 6 emission standard

Quick Reply: No Oil Consumption. Normal?