Old 12-29-2018, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

same affect by pulling on E-brake. will release when accelerate
Old 12-29-2018, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc H
Not exactly the same as the hold button on EU models or BMW, which, when activated, holds the car after braking whether it is faced uphill, downhill, or just stopped in traffic. If I have to activated by holding the brake pedal "several seconds," and contemplate whether I am "facing uphill" and to what degree to keep the car from moving, I might as well just keep my foot on the brake.
The hill hold at traffic lights on flat ground feature is so great! I had that on '15 Macan and used it ALL the time. Then I went to '15 Panamera and really missed that feature. You would think now by the 2019 model year Audi would have it??
Old 12-29-2018, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
The hill hold at traffic lights on flat ground feature is so great! I had that on '15 Macan and used it ALL the time. Then I went to '15 Panamera and really missed that feature. You would think now by the 2019 model year Audi would have it??
It's there, just on the EU version of the Q8, deleted on the US version. In fact on your US Q8, you'll find the dummy button for it just behind the real parking brake button on the center console.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's there, just on the EU version of the Q8, deleted on the US version. In fact on your US Q8, you'll find the dummy button for it just behind the real parking brake button on the center console.
Ok, I’ll look. I enabled hill hold on OBDEleven but it said “uninstalled” and I changed it to “installed”. But it probably won’t work, I’ve seen many other features with the choices being “active” or “not active”, which would be more promising.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Ok, I’ll look. I enabled hill hold on OBDEleven but it said “uninstalled” and I changed it to “installed”. But it probably won’t work, I’ve seen many other features with the choices being “active” or “not active”, which would be more promising.
Here you go...

And the European version, including cupholder cover:

Last edited by Doc H; 12-29-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here you go...

And the European version, including cupholder cover:
Nice, they managed to pork the US twice within 8 millimeters.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does the hill hold do different then setting the E-brake? …. ok in reading it sounds like they function the same just that the hill hold is automatic - it will engage as soon as you tap the brake at stop. So pretty much auto engage of e-brake sounds like. I wonder if the wiring is below the blank where you can install the switch and then engage it in OBDEleven.

I heard the cup holders are smaller in the covered version in Europe - US they removed for the larger cup holders. I noticed the ones in the back seat are ultra small.

Last edited by cbl1; 01-19-2019 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Something not expanded on much in manual I found I really like the other day - Smart Favorites.

I was going through and setting the XM stations I listened to as favorites so that I could just scroll through those from the steering wheel and virtual cockpit screen.

What I didn't realize was the "smart" part of setting them as favorites. Once set as smart favorites the car continually records those stations.

If I choose a station/song as I'm scrolling through, the song will start from the beginning no matter where it is live. You can also use the + and - Ribbon bookmark buttons to toggle back and forth between songs that have played recently (I don't know how long the buffer is but it had 4-5 songs back when I was playing with the other day).

Terrific feature that isn't explained much in the manual.

Also its in the manual but I missed - is that on the XM stations if you press on the station logo you get screen that allows you to switch between station logo and cover art as the default.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tomk
I just found the 2019 Quick Questions & Answers guide (documents/quick-start-guide/2019/2019-Q8-QSG.pdf) and it shows Hill Hold Assist as #3 in lower display. Says to activate, press and hold brake pedal for several seconds. The vehicle must be facing uphill.
Surprised that error made it into manual - that description of the button is completely wrong. Someone put in the quick start guide the description for hill hold, disregard the quick start guide - that is the button for the Hill Descent Assist (which is great for bad weather and going down an incline).

Page 106 in the real manual describes the Hill Descent Assist function. Inexplicably it says it comes on cars optioned with Hill Hold Assist (which they removed for US so you just get the Hill Descent).

Sometimes I'm curious if Audi leaves off the Hill/Stop Hold in US as a lingering worry with the old "Audi Accelleration at stop myth"

Last edited by cbl1; 01-19-2019 at 04:16 AM.