Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 Apple Carplay issues / problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default :)

Originally Posted by rogueq8
Indeed, connecting to the 5GHz network did the trick. Thanks.

No problem, that’s what it’s all about! It’s my first Audi too, and I’m still trying to figure it all out myself, so anything I can do to help...
Old 12-06-2018, 04:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DONTHATEMYQ8

No problem, that’s what it’s all about! It’s my first Audi too, and I’m still trying to figure it all out myself, so anything I can do to help...
So you both connect to 5g? Do either of you have the “audi data module” activated? I turned it off and now everything works fine almost. But every time I enter the car it asks if I would like to activate it? What does this connection module do?
Old 12-06-2018, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not know the status of my data module. I will verify and let you know.

My understanding, from the owner's manual, is that this function takes charge of the Audi connect services' data exchanges. E.g. this is probably the function updating your myaudi app with your car's data.

The owner's manual speaks of a "car phone" which seems to be distinct from your own phone, and there also seems to be interactions between this car phone and the data module. Maybe that is what is giving you problems. Just my 0,02$.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not sure I understand how the car has a phone as well? Maybe it has a data chip installed for traffic reports? Siri works really well now that data module is deactivated. I wonder what the conflict would be?
Old 12-09-2018, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My data module is on, and I have no problem using carplay and my phone. À propos car phone, according to the owner's manual, it seems the Q8 (at least some trims of it) have their own SIM card, hence their own "car phone". You can get the car phone's serial number (IMEI) in the MMI settings. That is about as much as I know about the (supposedly) car's own phone.

Maybe there is a problem with the electronics in your particular vehicule, that you have to turn the data module off. What is the dealer saying about that issue?
Old 12-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think its a apple software issue, i noticed if the phones unlocked siri works fine. When the phone is locked it won't connect to siri or read my text messages. Everything else seems to work fine.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you figure out if your phone is locked or not?
Old 12-10-2018, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The lock icon at the top of the screen.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rogueq8
My data module is on, and I have no problem using carplay and my phone. À propos car phone, according to the owner's manual, it seems the Q8 (at least some trims of it) have their own SIM card, hence their own "car phone". You can get the car phone's serial number (IMEI) in the MMI settings. That is about as much as I know about the (supposedly) car's own phone.

Maybe there is a problem with the electronics in your particular vehicule, that you have to turn the data module off. What is the dealer saying about that issue?
I thought the same but tried 3 q8 and noticed the same across the board. That’s why I’m skeptical it’s all 3 cars. Either a software issue with Apple which means others must have it or something with my settings when I connect the car. Although there really shouldn’t be an option to connect where phone will overheat and Siri will not work!!
Old 12-11-2018, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jesse.d
I think its a apple software issue, i noticed if the phones unlocked siri works fine. When the phone is locked it won't connect to siri or read my text messages. Everything else seems to work fine.
Just called my provider, and my phone is locked. And as I said, no problems using carplay either. I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 12.1.1. I am not a siri user, but I will try it and report back.

Quick Reply: Q8 Apple Carplay issues / problems