Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 Apple Carplay issues / problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far, CarPlay via MMI seems to be working pretty well for us. Charging wireless makes our iPhone X warm, but not any more than other wireless chargers we use at home. Generally, the connection and stability has been solid and we haven't noticed any issue with the sound being different than for the radio. We were very pleasantly surprised to see album art in the Virtual Cockpit as well which isn't possible using wired CarPlay on my B9 RS5.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto for us. No real problems with CarPlay. Automatic connection when starting the car. When together with my wife, can switch between both iPhones/CarPlays. We own iPhones 6 i.e. no wireless charging, so can't say nothing 'bout that. Using the 5GHz wifi, otherwise no wireless CarPlay.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Q8 wasted my SD card

Got my special order Q8 and immediately started on a cross country trip from DC to Palm Springs. Everything works quite well. Coming from a Q7, the ride is more refined, better handling and sporty. I really like the car. Today I tried to play songs on my SD card. It was not registered in the MMI. I checked and it was popped out, so I pushed it back in. Still the card did not register. When I stopped to park, I checked the card and it was properly seated. I popped it out, and it was HOT. Brought the card inside and my PC would not recognize it. Damn, it's fried. I also noticed during the trip my 8+ iPhone would heat up during charging inside the Audi phone box - thought this was normal. I'll be without my recorded music on the trip back.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

over heating is not good for phone. I stopped using the wireless charger and deactivated the data module. All is pretty good now. Occassional freeze of software and takes a few minutes to reset. Hopefully audi/apple come out with fix soon
Old 03-05-2019, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

I have iphone 7 so no wireless charge but the weirdest Carplay bug is the volume shut off 2 minutes after putting a station on, and then there’s that goofy compass screen that pops up in the VC if you use Google navigation from the phone. Once you close out the Google maps app there’s literally no way to clear that compass without rebooting iphone. You can shut Carplay off but when you turn it back on the compass is back!
Old 03-06-2019, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car thinks that a navigation app is active while connected with CarPlay, it will only show the compass in the VC if you're looking at the Nav screen there. The easiest way to get back to the built-in Nav on the VC is to be sure to have close (flick away) Google Maps, Apple Maps, and Waze on the phone. Even then the VC does get confused sometimes and only shows the compass, which is really annoying. The compass is totally useless.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Although I know this thread is specifically for Apple CarPlay. I also wonder if there are any related issues using Android auto (understanding that it has to be plugged in via USB).
Old 03-06-2019, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by McGriddle
If the car thinks that a navigation app is active while connected with CarPlay, it will only show the compass in the VC if you're looking at the Nav screen there. The easiest way to get back to the built-in Nav on the VC is to be sure to have close (flick away) Google Maps, Apple Maps, and Waze on the phone. Even then the VC does get confused sometimes and only shows the compass, which is really annoying. The compass is totally useless.
Yeah the compass is beyond useless in the first place, no idea how anyone thought that was a good idea. The flick away (or turning Carplay on and off) does nothing on my car, as soon as Carplay is turned back on the compass comes back. Only way to clear it is soft reset iphone. Very annoying. However this is a minor little annoyance for a first year model, the Q8 has been incredibly solid for 3K miles, I’ve had no reason to take it to the dealer.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Am I missing something or is my car different? Tonight on my way home, I was running CarPlay wirelessly from my iPhone X & had Waze displayed on the MMI display & Audi maps with Google overlay displayed in the VC. Never saw the compass, however I do seem to remember it coming up on my Q7 & Q5 when plugged into USB.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cadx6
Am I missing something or is my car different? Tonight on my way home, I was running CarPlay wirelessly from my iPhone X & had Waze displayed on the MMI display & Audi maps with Google overlay displayed in the VC. Never saw the compass, however I do seem to remember it coming up on my Q7 & Q5 when plugged into USB.
Did you have an address input into Waze and receiving direction?

I've noticed if i have wireless carplay going with maps, and google maps and Audi maps on the nav, i am fine. But soon as either of those are "active", the VC turns into the compass. I would assume Waze would act in the same manner.

Quick Reply: Q8 Apple Carplay issues / problems