Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 / Q8 > Audi Q8 > Audi Q8
Reload this Page >

Q8 Apple Carplay issues / problems

Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 Apple Carplay issues / problems

Old 05-12-2019, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok - to enable wireless CarPlay on a non-US model which does not have it enabled, you need to use OBDEleven.

I figured this out myself and have been using it for around 2 months now without any issue or adverse effect (Australian car which does not by default have wireless CarPlay enabled). I believe this will also enable Android Auto (but have not confirmed).

1. Go to Information Control Unit -> Adaptation -> 5F -> Vehicle Configuration -> Apple_DIO_Wireless --- Turn this on and save the change
2. In OBDEleven go to Information Control Unit -> Adaptation -> 5F -> Vehicle Configuration -> Google_GAL_Wireless --- Turn this on and save the change (only needed if enabling Android Audio)
3. Go to Information Control Unit -> Adaptation -> 5F -> Vehicle Configuration -> wlan_5ghz_switch --- Turn this on and save the change

Reboot the MMI unit by holding down the volume **** for 10 seconds.

Ensure your phone has Audi Connect app installed and that your device is configured to join the car's 5ghz WLAN network and is bluetooth paired. Once they are set up, you should have the option to use either MMI or CarPlay wirelessly (as with the US models).

Good luck
Old 05-12-2019, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by blackie36 View Post
Ok - to enable wireless CarPlay on a non-US model which does not have it enabled, you need to use OBDEleven.

I figured this out myself and have been using it for around 2 months now without any issue or adverse effect (Australian car which does not by default have wireless CarPlay enabled). I believe this will also enable Android Auto (but have not confirmed).

1. Go to Information Control Unit -> Adaptation -> 5F -> Vehicle Configuration -> Apple_DIO_Wireless --- Turn this on and save the change
2. In OBDEleven go to Information Control Unit -> Adaptation -> 5F -> Vehicle Configuration -> Google_GAL_Wireless --- Turn this on and save the change (only needed if enabling Android Audio)
3. Go to Information Control Unit -> Adaptation -> 5F -> Vehicle Configuration -> wlan_5ghz_switch --- Turn this on and save the change

Reboot the MMI unit by holding down the volume **** for 10 seconds.

Ensure your phone has Audi Connect app installed and that your device is configured to join the car's 5ghz WLAN network and is bluetooth paired. Once they are set up, you should have the option to use either MMI or CarPlay wirelessly (as with the US models).

Good luck
Thank you. Will try it later today.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 5 GHz vs 2 GHZ.

5 GHz vs 2 GHZ. every time I restart ignition I have to go to settings and select 5 GHz in order for CarPlay to be offered (iPhone X).
Any suggestions? Can I delete 2 GHz form wifi choices?

Originally Posted by Drskywalker View Post
The Wifi and Bluetooth connections are in a way mutually exclusive. When you are in CarPlay, the MMI is bypassed for radio, audio, phone and you have to use Siri and the CarPlay touch interface to get what you need. MMI is connected by Bluetooth, wireless CarPlay is connected by WiFi.
(I remain mystified why Audi could not release a document with explanations of the interface and step-by-step instructions - even post it on the InterWeb, for goodness' sake - rather than leave customers to figure it out for themselves).
The Wifi thing I found was a bit sketchy to get operational, but once I did it was OK. What seemed to work was to have the myAudi app open on my phone, and then I connected the phone to the car's wifi (I went with the 5GHz but really both seem to work). It's been OK ever since.
***the one thing that does not seem to work for me is Siri. I'll call her up, see that she's hearing my voice via the visualizer on the screen, but then it fails. She'll say that she didn't hear me, or it may say on screen there is no internet connection, or she'll say there is a problem. Anyone else seeing this? Do I need to buy a cellular plan for the car only to make Siri work? They aren't cheap.******
Old 06-19-2019, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Picked up Q8 yesterday. Wireless carplay is working fine most of the time. Occasionally, the internet connection stops working because the phone starts trying to use the audi wifi for internet in addition to just for carplay. If I go to airplane mode and come back, it is ok again. Any idea how to stop this from happening? It should be using wifi for carplay, but using LTE for data. That is working almost all the time, but occasionally not.