Old 02-22-2019, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installation process

That’s right. Part 14 connector is located at the bottom left corner
Old 02-22-2019, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought some plastic trim removal tools and will give it a try once the part arrives.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Give it a try, you will see that is not that complicated
Old 02-24-2019, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the info and trailblazing! So - to several comments previous. Since the cupholder width is the same, question to Audi: the reason US cars do not have this feature OEM is because....?

Last edited by Doc H; 02-24-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Cup Holder

I guess market preferences
Old 02-24-2019, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't figure out why. I sat in a A8 at the dealer the other day and it had the cover. Some people have said cost cutting but it seems more expensive to have different parts
Old 02-27-2019, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed mine today! It was just as easy as the op mentioned. I personally took the risk of not entirely removing the console and bending it just enough to slip the replacement in after removing the original. Tools needed: plastic pry bar and small wrench / ratchet. I used pliers as I didn't have the proper size wrench to remove the 3 screws. One note, make sure the cover is opened fully before putting the unit, as there may be obstructions if you leave it closed prior to installation.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you remove the gear ****? Did you pry it up from the rear lip? I assume there are spring clips holding it down, as after lifting high enough they disconnect? There is enough slack in electric connect , so you did not have to disconnect the gear and brake connection and were able to disconnect the 12V connector? Any pictures during the process?
Old 02-27-2019, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomk
Did you remove the gear ****? Did you pry it up from the rear lip? I assume there are spring clips holding it down, as after lifting high enough they disconnect? There is enough slack in electric connect , so you did not have to disconnect the gear and brake connection and were able to disconnect the 12V connector? Any pictures during the process?
Nope, I did not remove the gear selector. After pry up the console plate, I found that there was just enough give to slip the replacement in. Same goes for the electrical connection. Please note that I am not necessarily recommending this course, but if you are lazy and lacking in the proper tools like I was, it was a successful risk.
As for photos, no, I did not take any as it was really an uneventful process. Sorry. Can post finished photos if you like.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawrence Lau
I just installed mine today! It was just as easy as the op mentioned. I personally took the risk of not entirely removing the console and bending it just enough to slip the replacement in after removing the original. Tools needed: plastic pry bar and small wrench / ratchet. I used pliers as I didn't have the proper size wrench to remove the 3 screws. One note, make sure the cover is opened fully before putting the unit, as there may be obstructions if you leave it closed prior to installation.
Hi do you know how to pry out the bottom right part of the center console? I tried to remove it today but failed. It seems so tight over there. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Q8 Cup Holder cover?