AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/)
-   -   Q8 Door Lock/Unlock Sensor (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/q8-door-lock-unlock-sensor-2969642/)

rjabend 03-29-2019 06:21 AM

Q8 Door Lock/Unlock Sensor

For the last month, my driver's side door will not lock or unlock reliably from the touch sensors. The keyfob always works. I took it into the dealer and they were unable to duplicate the problem. The service advisor said that cell phones can interfere with the sensors. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if there are any suggestions to deal with it. Thanks for any inputs.

707Audi 03-29-2019 06:30 AM

I've had more than a few instances where I need to touch the sensor multiple times in order for it to lock as well as pull on the handle a couple times to unlock it. Cell phone is in a separate pocket, so I doubt that is the cause. Doesn't happen enough for me to take to the dealer though. One thing I don't like is the doors don't unlock if you open up the hatch.

SammyH 03-29-2019 06:38 AM

It's funny I used to experience this problem more often in my other Audi's, but only once or twice in the Q8. Granted I haven't had it very long, but it's generally been fine, and like I said more reliable locking and unlocking than the other ones. The one or two times it's happened, it's been with locking, seems to unlock every time. I wonder if it's your stance or perhaps the location of the key fob on you? It's nearly impossible to replicate these things for the dealer, sometimes it will work 100 times in a row...when you don't want it to lol

dubbrand 03-29-2019 06:56 AM

My cars for the last 9 years or so have had this feature and its only happened to me a handful of times. I feel like when it happens I grab the handle too fast and it doesnt have a chance to do whatever it is that it does to unlock the doors for me before I pull on the handle

tomk 03-29-2019 07:38 AM

The Q8 has to drop the frameless window and unlock the car at same time. Perhaps just slowing down will be the trick.

poppers1 03-31-2019 09:05 PM

I've had the same annoying issue. I thought maybe it was my key fob battery, so i switched to the other one and it did seem to help at first, but I still do notice they delay occasionally with the locking sensor. Have not had trouble with the unlocking though. I haven't brought it into the dealer yet...will likely not happen there anyway

rjabend 04-01-2019 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by poppers1 (Post 25297156)
I've had the same annoying issue. I thought maybe it was my key fob battery, so i switched to the other one and it did seem to help at first, but I still do notice they delay occasionally with the locking sensor. Have not had trouble with the unlocking though. I haven't brought it into the dealer yet...will likely not happen there anyway

Thanks. I may try a new battery although this one is not very old. It is not a matter of timing. The drivers door is the only one I have trouble with. The others work 100% of the time. Also the unlock from the fob button is solid with no problems.

angrypengu 04-06-2019 06:07 AM

I don't know if this is related to this issue as we are just now leaving winter behind.

Technical Service Bulletin 2054419
57 DTC B132E29 and B132F29 stored in the door control modules

Condition
Customer states:
• One of the doors doesn’t open from the outer handle when it is below freezing outside. This can affect left
or right doors and also the front or rear doors.
• The door lock system warnings may appear in the cluster as well as possibly driver assistance warning
and parking brake warnings in the cluster.
Workshop findings:
The following DTC’s may be stored in either the driver door control module, J386 (address word 0042) or the
front passenger door control module, J387 (address word 0052):
• DTC B132E29 (Switch for inside door handle Implausible signal).
• DTC B132F29 (Switch for outside door handle Implausible signal).

If the above faults are not stored, then this bulletin is not applicable. The vehicle may also have faults related to
this concern stored in several other modules due to the door handle implausible signal stored.
Technical Background
Due to some manufacturing residue left on the cable, water is allowed to enter the Bowden cable attached to the
door lock, which can freeze and not allow the door to unlock. Once the vehicle is brought in the shop for a short
period of time or left in overnight, you may not be able to reproduce this concern. It happens frequently when it is
cold outside and the vehicle has been taken through a carwash. If the faults are stored, you can proceed with
this bulletin without reproducing the concern.
Production Solution
Not applicable.

Service
Take things apart, grease em, etc.

SteveKo 04-06-2019 06:27 AM

How do you unlock the other car doors? On my Mazda there is a button on the drivers handle. Push it once and it unlocks the drivers door. Push it twice and it opens all the door locks. How is this accomplished on the Q8? Is it that I have the key fob close enough to the car so anyone that pulls on a door handle will unlock their doors?

Appreciate the help! Thanks

WausauS8 04-08-2019 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by SteveKo (Post 25299697)
How do you unlock the other car doors? On my Mazda there is a button on the drivers handle. Push it once and it unlocks the drivers door. Push it twice and it opens all the door locks. How is this accomplished on the Q8? Is it that I have the key fob close enough to the car so anyone that pulls on a door handle will unlock their doors?

Appreciate the help! Thanks

That is correct. If I’m standing near the drivers door, my wife can open the passenger door. This is defeatable in the MMI if you don’t want this.