Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 Guages

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

I used OBDEleven for the first time today it’s very cool. Using the same coding posted for the SQ5 I was able to dim the VC slightly. Haven’t driven with it yet but I could tell the guages got dimmer. Not sure why we need to order a special software tool to lower the brightness on the instrument cluster, but if anyone is interested I can post the coding.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
I used OBDEleven for the first time today it’s very cool. Using the same coding posted for the SQ5 I was able to dim the VC slightly. Haven’t driven with it yet but I could tell the guages got dimmer. Not sure why we need to order a special software tool to lower the brightness on the instrument cluster, but if anyone is interested I can post the coding.
Please do -
How about starting a sticky thread for OBDEleven coding of the Q8 like was done in the other new generation forums? It can be very helpful to have a single reference point.
I did a bunch of coding to my Q7, A4, & Q5. My Q8 just reached Emden so I'm anxiously looking forward to a few tweaks to it.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts

There is absolutely a way to change the brightness on the D5 A8. Take a look at your manuals folks. It has to be do-able on the Q8.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Page 51 of the searchable pdf manual that @rjabend so graciously posted.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
There is absolutely a way to change the brightness on the D5 A8. Take a look at your manuals folks. It has to be do-able on the Q8.
Of course there is, I was lamenting the fact that the guages dont dim low enough (for my preferences) on the max VC dim setting through the MMI. Also the light sensor in the car affects brightness levels too much. In full sun the screens are too bright and then at dusk they get too dim. If there was a way to disable the light sensor (putting the driver in full control of brightness levels on all the screens) that would be ideal. The OBD dimming adjustment does help at night to get the guages to a level that’s easier on the eyes, but it doesn’t change much during the day because the light sensor takes over and brightens everything.

I found another setting in OBD under dim_lightsensor_src that changes the default light sensor from “outside” to “dashboard”. When I first made this change the VC and MMI dimmed WAY down. I then manually adjusted brightness accordingly and thought I had found a solution. But I came back to the car a little later and everything was super bright. I had to change it back to the factory setting. I’ll play around with the OBD some more and see what I can come up with, there’s a number of dimming settings listed.