Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 - Likes and Dislikes

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Q8 - Likes and Dislikes

Have only about 500 miles on my Q8 but wanted to share some thoughts and hear what other owners feel as well. Will list a handful of likes and dislikes that come to mind. Not sure if they will be in any specific order. As a reference point my past few cars were ‘15 Panamera GTS, ‘15 Macan S and 2010 Q5 3.2.

1). Body Styling - Killer looks for an SUV. Very agressive front end with the black optics grill and Matrix LEDs. Super sporty with the Year 1 Package and Air Suspension in Dynamic mode. High gloss black trim around the whole vehicle is beautiful and the S-line bumpers are highly detailed.

2.) Wheels - Love the high gloss black two-tone Audi Sport 22s. One of the best wheels I’ve seen on an SUV.

3.) Exterior and Interior Lighting - Matrix headlights are extremely bright and the DRLs are awesome. Rear light bar looks great and the Animation when unlocking the car is very cool. Other makes will copy this feature for sure. Audi beam rings and all the interior LED Ambient is phenomenal. The car looks like a spaceship at night.

3.) Interior Design and Layout - The seamless integration of the displays and the air vents into the glossy black dash create a high-tech, ultra modern look. Screen resolution and color contrast is crystal clear on all the displays. Response time is instant. Touch screens work flawlessly on both haptic and standard touch settings. Google Earth maps look terrific on both the Vitual Cockpit and the MMI screens.

4.) Valcona Contour Seats with Massage - Plush and very comfortable. Thigh support, upper and lower side bolsters, massage function, and lumbar. Tons of adjustments.

5.) B&O - I have the base system and it’s head and shoulders above any sound system I recall having in the past. On both Porsche I had Bose which was awful in comparison.

6.) Driving characteristics - Haven’t pushed the car during break-in but it feels pretty responsive especially in Sport mode. Handling is solid for a 5k lb vehicle, it doesn’t feel that heavy. The cabin is silent it must be the double pane glass. Hard to believe it can be this quiet with 22-inch wheels.

Dislikes:

1.) Plastic door tops - Luxury Package has an extended leather pack that should also include leather on the door tops. At 90k (or less) on a Cayenne, X5, or GLE you will have this option, it makes no sense for Audi not to offer this on their top of the line SUV. The Luxury Package gives you leather along the center console under the HVAC display that’s barely noticeable. If they wanted to cut corners and use plastic they should have done it here instead. The door tops on the Q8 are these ginormous pieces of plastic that are very noticeable. Worst thing about the car for me I think. Having said that I still feel the interior is amazing. But they need to address this.

2.) Privacy Glass on the four back door windows - The glass is not clear, it looks cloudy or slightly hazy from the inside. Apparently its a special glass that blocks out heat but I would prefer a more standard privacy glass that has a cleaner look.

3.) Tow package - If I understand this correctly the Euro-spec cars have a retractable hitch that disappears completely. The US should get this as well. Every LA dealer added towing package to their cars for some reason. The Daytona Prestige were extremely limited so I had to get the tow hitch. I wish I could retract it, it would look so much better.

4.) Interior storage - My wife’s Highlander can literally fit a laptop in the center console. The Q8s console is an embarrassment in comparison. It holds a phone and a few credit cards maybe. The cup holders are also very small and the ones in the back are minuscule. Door pockets are good for holding big bottles however. For me I don’t have my kids in the car very often, but for someone wanting to travel frequently with a family the lack of storage is a concern.

5.) Paddle Shifters - Tiny plastic buttons that seem like an afterthought. SQ8 should change these, they’re way too small. Porsche had nice aluminum good size paddles that I used quite a bit. The Audi buttons are semi-useless.

6.) Upgraded Valcona Leather Seats - The seats are comfortable as I stated above but it would be nice if the upgraded seats had a diamond stitch pattern, or some sort of design to differentiate them from the standard leather seats. They don’t look that much different from the base seats yet they are a costly upgrade. The upgraded seats in the X5 pictured on another thread are gorgeous. Of course in Europe you could get the S-Line diamond sport seats, and we will get those undoubtedly on the forthcoming SQ8.

To be honest my dislikes are more nit-picky type things nothing major for me, with the possible exception of the plastic door tops. I don’t understand why this leather is not available on such a high-end car when Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche etc all offer this.

Overall I’m truly enamored with the Q8. Beautiful cutting edge design and a sleek futuristic interior. It’s a technological masterpiece. Interested to hear what others think...

Last edited by jrjunior31; 12-03-2018 at 12:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jrjunior31:
OSUMD (06-24-2021), sirfrancis (06-29-2021)
Old 12-03-2018, 03:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You nailed it buddy!!!!

Also, I find it has a little too much turbo lag especially at certain times when going hard.
The following 2 users liked this post by fabricguy:
OCWes (06-25-2021), OSUMD (06-24-2021)
Old 12-03-2018, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

You did a great job! We, at 2,000 miles, do wish for a bit more urge (the thing tips 5,000 pounds). It is capable, but when there are three people in the car, it is possible to notice the loss of some quickness. Considering this is the top of the line (for now), and considering the MSRPs of "most" of the Q8s so far is about $80K, it just seems that a bit more HP and torque would be helpful. We have, currently, a Q8 and an '18 S4. The tuning of the S4's engine would be helpful if this exact engine was the standard Q8 motivator. Of course, another 5-10% more power to get the 0-60 time to 5.1 seconds would be "just right."

When the SQ8 comes to the US, I would hope it would (at least) have the RS5's 444HP motor -- I have to assume "the V8 wouldn't be prudent." But the strength of the RS5's (Porsche-sourced) V6 would "git 'er done." The issue is that it would take our very nicely equipped $80K Q8 up to $100K in a heartbeat.

I am hearing there is an A6-based allroad coming soon, but does that mean "NO Q6" or that the Q6 is called an e-tron?

You know, the A4-based allroad would be fantastic if the S4's engine would be made available in it.

Yeah, I know, my comments are all "power" based -- but it is this "need" in the new Q8 that would take a wonderful vehicle "to 11!"
Old 12-03-2018, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Have only about 500 miles on my Q8 but wanted to share some thoughts and hear what other owners feel as well. Will list a handful of likes and dislikes that come to mind. Not sure if they will be in any specific order. As a reference point my past few cars were ‘15 Panamera GTS, ‘15 Macan S and 2010 Q5 3.2.

1). Body Styling - Killer looks for an SUV. Very agressive front end with the black optics grill and Matrix LEDs. Super sporty with the Year 1 Package and Air Suspension in Dynamic mode. High gloss black trim around the whole vehicle is beautiful and the S-line bumpers are highly detailed.

2.) Wheels - Love the high gloss black two-tone Audi Sport 22s. One of the best wheels I’ve seen on an SUV.

3.) Exterior and Interior Lighting - Matrix headlights are extremely bright and the DRLs are awesome. Rear light bar looks great and the Animation when unlocking the car is very cool. Other makes will copy this feature for sure. Audi beam rings and all the interior LED Ambient is phenomenal. The car looks like a spaceship at night.

3.) Interior Design and Layout - The seamless integration of the displays and the air vents into the glossy black dash create a high-tech, ultra modern look. Screen resolution and color contrast is crystal clear on all the displays. Response time is instant. Touch screens work flawlessly on both haptic and standard touch settings. Google Earth maps look terrific on both the Vitual Cockpit and the MMI screens.

4.) Valcona Contour Seats with Massage - Plush and very comfortable. Thigh support, upper and lower side bolsters, massage function, and lumbar. Tons of adjustments.

5.) B&O - I have the base system and it’s head and shoulders above any sound system I recall having in the past. On both Porsche I had Bose which was awful in comparison.

6.) Driving characteristics - Haven’t pushed the car during break-in but it feels pretty responsive especially in Sport mode. Handling is solid for a 5k lb vehicle, it doesn’t feel that heavy. The cabin is silent it must be the double pane glass. Hard to believe it can be this quiet with 22-inch wheels.

Dislikes:

1.) Plastic door tops - Luxury Package has an extended leather pack that should also include leather on the door tops. At 90k (or less) on a Cayenne, X5, or GLE you will have this option, it makes no sense for Audi not to offer this on their top of the line SUV. The Luxury Package gives you leather along the center console under the HVAC display that’s barely noticeable. If they wanted to cut corners and use plastic they should have done it here instead. The door tops on the Q8 are these ginormous pieces of plastic that are very noticeable. Worst thing about the car for me I think. Having said that I still feel the interior is amazing. But they need to address this.

2.) Privacy Glass on the four back door windows - The glass is not clear, it looks cloudy or slightly hazy from the inside. Apparently its a special glass that blocks out heat but I would prefer a more standard privacy glass that has a cleaner look.

3.) Tow package - If I understand this correctly the Euro-spec cars have a retractable hitch that disappears completely. The US should get this as well. Every LA dealer added towing package to their cars for some reason. The Daytona Prestige were extremely limited so I had to get the tow hitch. I wish I could retract it, it would look so much better.

4.) Interior storage - My wife’s Highlander can literally fit a laptop in the center console. The Q8s console is an embarrassment in comparison. It holds a phone and a few credit cards maybe. The cup holders are also very small and the ones in the back are minuscule. Door pockets are good for holding big bottles however. For me I don’t have my kids in the car very often, but for someone wanting to travel frequently with a family the lack of storage is a concern.

5.) Paddle Shifters - Tiny plastic buttons that seem like an afterthought. SQ8 should change these, they’re way too small. Porsche had nice aluminum good size paddles that I used quite a bit. The Audi buttons are semi-useless.

6.) Upgraded Valcona Leather Seats - The seats are comfortable as I stated above but it would be nice if the upgraded seats had a diamond stitch pattern, or some sort of design to differentiate them from the standard leather seats. They don’t look that much different from the base seats yet they are a costly upgrade. The upgraded seats in the X5 pictured on another thread are gorgeous. Of course in Europe you could get the S-Line diamond sport seats, and we will get those undoubtedly on the forthcoming SQ8.

To be honest my dislikes are more nit-picky type things nothing major for me, with the possible exception of the plastic door tops. I don’t understand why this leather is not available on such a high-end car when Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche etc all offer this.

Overall I’m truly enamored with the Q8. Beautiful cutting edge design and a sleek futuristic interior. It’s a technological masterpiece. Interested to hear what others think...
interesting you have just as many dislikes as likes...
Old 12-03-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RJC 1
interesting you have just as many dislikes as likes...
I’m sure I could add some things on both sides perhaps as I rack up the miles. Headed to the LA Auto show tonight and look forward to checking out the X5 and maybe the ‘20 GLE will be there. Been following the Q7/Q8 thread and there’s some interesting discussion on Q8 vs X5. I think if we could combine the two cars we would have one hell of a luxury Suv!
Old 12-03-2018, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m sure I could add some things on both sides perhaps as I rack up the miles. Headed to the LA Auto show tonight and look forward to checking out the X5 and maybe the ‘20 GLE will be there. Been following the Q7/Q8 thread and there’s some interesting discussion on Q8 vs X5. I think if we could combine the two cars we would have one hell of a luxury Suv!

Agreed. I saw the GLE at the show and as impressive as Mercedes has been as of late with their interiors, the spec they have on the floor is not super exciting. I suppose in the right spec however, could be a looker.

Please sit in the drivers seat of the X5 and tell me I am not crazy vs. sitting in the Q8 drivers seat. Then hop in the back seats. Get comfy in both...feel the materials, push on things, really experience both and tell me that the X5 is not on a whole other level. Perhaps I am nuts. Also, be sure and sit in the new A7. Like the Q8, I was surprised how just so mediocre it felt....I mean these are $80k to $90K+ cars. Then go over and hop in the new Hyundai Palisade (and no, I am not saying thats a true cross compare with the Q8 and X5, but throw in the Q8s mmi screens and I would rather have that interior then Q8's.)

Last edited by Meyecul; 12-03-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default A6 allroad!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I am hearing there is an A6-based allroad coming soon, but does that mean "NO Q6" or that the Q6 is called an e-tron?

!"
As in coming to the US?? Where did you hear this? When?
That would be great! A lot of us would like to buy an A6 Avant.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Meyecul
Agreed. I saw the GLE at the show and as impressive as Mercedes has been as of late with their interiors, the spec they have on the floor is not super exciting. I suppose in the right spec however, could be a looker.

Please sit in the drivers seat of the X5 and tell me I am not crazy vs. sitting in the Q8 drivers seat. Then hop in the back seats. Get comfy in both...feel the materials, push on things, really experience both and tell me that the X5 is not on a whole other level. Perhaps I am nuts. Also, be sure and sit in the new A7. Like the Q8, I was surprised how just so mediocre it felt....I mean these are $80k to $90K+ cars. Then go over and hop in the new Hyundai Palisade (and no, I am not saying thats a true cross compare with the Q8 and X5, but throw in the Q8s mmi screens and I would rather have that interior then Q8's.)
So far I’ve seen the new X5 and the interior up close but have not sat in it. Also have seen a couple in-depth videos. With the whole cabin covered in leather, the crystal *****, and the high gloss wood trim the interior seems a lot more luxurious than the Q8. The Q8 has way too much plastic on the doors and I’m not sold on the matte wood trim (that mine came with) or the large triangular design of the trim pieces on the doors. The high gloss gray inlays for the Q8 may look better, I haven’t seen those up close. I do like the alcantara inserts on the Q8 doors that come with the luxury package though. I will say that the Virtual Cockpit in the Q8 looks much better than what I’ve seen on the X5 though. I don’t like the BMW gauges but I haven’t cycled through all the modes for myself. I also like the Q8s MMI and climate control set-up better than the X5. To me it’s cleaner and more modern.

I also have to agree with you that the non year-1 Q8 styling is a little blase depending on color. But I like how sporty and agressive the front grill of the year-1 Daytona looks. Hopefully after today I’ll be able to weigh in with some more firsthand observations from the auto show...

Old 12-03-2018, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The optional non-YR1 22" rims look very nice too
Old 12-03-2018, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

So far I’ve seen the new X5 and the interior up close but have not sat in it. Also have seen a couple in-depth videos. With the whole cabin covered in leather, the crystal *****, and the high gloss wood trim the interior seems a lot more luxurious than the Q8. The Q8 has way too much plastic on the doors and I’m not sold on the matte wood trim (that mine came with) or the large triangular design of the trim pieces on the doors. The high gloss gray inlays for the Q8 may look better, I haven’t seen those up close. I do like the alcantara inserts on the Q8 doors that come with the luxury package though. I will say that the Virtual Cockpit in the Q8 looks much better than what I’ve seen on the X5 though. I don’t like the BMW gauges but I haven’t cycled through all the modes for myself. I also like the Q8s MMI and climate control set-up better than the X5. To me it’s cleaner and more modern.

I also have to agree with you that the non year-1 Q8 styling is a little blase depending on color. But I like how sporty and agressive the front grill of the year-1 Daytona looks. Hopefully after today I’ll be able to weigh in with some more firsthand observations from the auto show...

Yes, now, here is what drives me nuts. I look at your Daytona (that is yours right??) w 1st year and it looks awesome in pics. It is really amazing how the pkg and color makes such a huge difference. As far as the interior, yes, I have the Alcantara in my Q7 (w cedar brown / gloss gray oak inlay interior) and it makes the cabin richer. Given that the Q8 interior part shares with a lot of the Q7, I can see it looking much better as well in a similar color scheme. I guess I just really need to see a daytona or possibly navaro blue w 1st year and then maybe a sarder gray, beige or the brown w lux pkg. I know what the luxury pkg does to help since I have in my Q7 so that would be a must for me.

Quick Reply: Q8 - Likes and Dislikes