Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 Not What I Expected

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Q8 Not What I Expected

Had a lovely visit with the Audi dealership today and spent some time in a $93k Q8....only option missing was the 22's or YR 1 which it desperately needs to complete the look.

The Q8 simply doesn't have the "presence" of the Q7...if the car mags consider the Q7 a mid-sized SUV, then the Q8 should then be considered small (the Q8 is noticeably shorter in height and length albeit a bit wider)

The road noise was nearing unacceptable on the interstate (I-95 on FL coral based roads), even the sales person commented before we did (Q8 had 21's on All Season Hankook's). Our Q7 does not exhibit the same amount of noise under the same conditions/roads etc., although ours runs on summer non-run flats stock F1's with now 11k, yet are still 50% quieter than what we experienced in the Q8.

The engine has plenty of power to the contrary of what some have felt, the issue appears to be the throttle response settings, as if you put your foot into it...it moves. The vehicle felt noticeably quicker than the Q7...the extra trq no-doubt paid off. The beautiful silver valve covers with the red coil packs Audi is known for are now gone. It appears the cost savings has gone beyond the touch screen set-up.

The 8 spd trans was very good (as always) in near all aspects.

The interior was nice but not a knock out, the touch screens were good looking yet no more impressive than what's been on others, the Q8 however provides one of the best haptic feedbacks I've experienced, almost has the same sound and feel as our beloved buttons. The few buttons left which are on the 8's center console produce a watered down version (cheaper) of the crisp sounds and feel Audi is renowned for. The screens can become very messy looking even more so when turned off

The leather dash was nice but as others mentioned here, the upper door panel needs leather to match...I found the problem to be the grain pattern pressed in the plastic does not match the smooth grained dash leather at all.

The double pane glass was nice but didn't find the cabin to be quieter than the Q7's...interesting, maybe this was due to the aforementioned tires?

Frameless windows are programmed to do something clever...once lowered most frameless set up's exhibit rattling of the unsecured window when closing the door, but the Q8's glass automatically rises about 3 inches after opening the door to prevent this from happening. While this doesn't replace the frames (which I prefer) it helps make the frameless set-up more palatable.

The ride was very comfortable in comfort mode but dynamic mode was quite harsh, speed bumps at anything more than a few mph were brutal in that mode. The vehicle was PDI'd but the sales person felt perhaps they still had the tires overinflated at 55psi.

When looking at the rear especially the design of the lights, kept reminding me of the smaller Lincoln SUV's, at first I thought it was just they way it looked in pictures, but this proved not to be the case. I also prefer the Q7's grille...it looks richer. less plasticky so to speak. The Q8's even w/o BOP/YR 1, is just too black w/o the wheels and trim to match.

Our 19 Q7 will be here in a few days and we will make the final decision on taking it or a Q8 then. I need to spend more time in the 8 with different tires to see if the road noise is appreciably better as we didn't have the time to test another today.

At this point in time, we are leaning more toward taking the 19 Q7, being glad it's the last year for so many of the things we like, and less of the things we don't.

Last edited by RJC 1; 11-18-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Judging by your review, I think your mind is already made up. I don’t even know how the 8 is still on your list..?
Old 11-19-2018, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting how our experience was largely the exact opposite of yours:

We tested a P+ with First Year Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, CD/DVD player and Towing Package. The thing was in Orca Black (also extra cost) and had Black Leather. The MSRP was $79,340

The tires were the 22" 280 x 40 aspect ratio Hankook All-season High Performance (the vehicle is speed limited to 130MPH).

We had been given a 2018 Q7 (with about 2K miles on it) with virtually every option -- the Q7 was a Prestige model with it's window sticker full of "luxury" type optional extras and a price of just south of $78K.

We kept the Q7 over the weekend and even took it on a 200-mile trip. The Q7 was very nice, but the interior from the perspective of sitting in the front seat was that it was smaller than the Q8 we had taken an hour-long test drive in.

The back seat, however, was much smaller in the Q7 -- the Q8's back seat felt huge by comparison.

Cargo space, however, was less in the Q8 than the Q7.

The Q7 had the power close doors, dual pane glass and the Alcantara covered everything option.

First impression: The Q8 is the quietest car, period, we've ever been in/driven including a new (2018) A8 -- ONLY a Tesla is quieter. Also, I've read there is a Mercedes that is quieter, but since we've not been in it, we can't say. With the dual pane glass it would have to be even more so. The 22" wheels/tires since they retain a "sensible" aspect ratio of 40 add a nimbleness to the driving experience. This Q8 had the steel suspension (or is it aluminum), not the air suspension. We set the ADS to:

Engine/Transmission: Dynamic
Suspension: Dynamic
Steering: Comfort

This setting was the config preferred by my wife (who had been used to a 2014 SQ5 for 93,000+ miles and a 2018 SQ5 for 34,000+ miles (both Prestige models) as she wanted the big Q8 to feel a little more sporty than the thing would be if left in full auto ADS mode.

The engine power, between the two: Q8 feels more spritely due to both extra torque and the fact that it comes on at 1350 RPM; the Q7 is no slouch, but relatively the Q7 feels less enthusiastic from take off.

The sound system in the Q8 was the B&O set up, the Q7 had the Bose system. The Q8's was a breath of fresh air -- our choices of music were sourced from my iPhone and we played the same songs on both systems. The Bose system isn't horrible, but the B&O system is a huge step up,

The driver assist aids (ACC and lane keeping) exhibit none of the ping-pong effects that are evident in the Q7 (both were set up as close as possible based on the MMI parameters. I assume this is due to the use of a laser in the Q8 versus the "radar" in the Q7.)

Here's our perspective: We were coming from a garage that, most recently, had a 2014 S4 and SQ5 and after that a 2018 S4 and SQ5. We had put a 2019 SQ5 on order and it had an arrival date of 12/5. We drove the Q8 "from a hobby perspective," that is, at the moment, we were driving the Q8 for informational and educational reasons, we had, initially no intention of NOT moving forward with the newer SQ5 Prestige with the air suspension option. The Q8 was about $13,000 more than the ordered SQ5. The Q8 was optioned at "nearly" Prestige features plus it had the First Year package which makes an Orca Black Q8 look HUGE, my wife said it looked like a Urus and better than a Cayenne.

She said it was "the hulk" with its wide haunches (the so-called Ur Quattro "influence.") Triple black made us nickname it Darth Vader, and we just call it Vader.

We've now driven it twice (round trip) between Cincinnati and Columbus (200+ miles) and the thing is so quiet, serene even, the trip is much less tiring than even a similar journey in a very nice SQ5. I can cross my legs in the front seat even, And, of course, crossing my legs in the back seat is even easier. I'm 6' tall.

After a one-hour test drive in the new Q8 we bought it, "conditionally." The condition -- ONE -- was that my 95 year old (she's really 93, but I kid her) mother-in-law could get in and out of the back seat without any aid (not that we wouldn't help her, mind you, we just wanted to SEE if she COULD do it.) That is why they gave us their top-spec Q7 which they said would be "close enough for jazz" to the Q8's ground clearance (the Q8 is about a 1/2" lower as ours is optioned.)

My wife said the Q7 (compared to both her SQ5 and the Q8) felt like a station wagon and was noticably less nimble -- she said the Q7 felt, to her, sluggish and lumbering again when compared with the Q8.

We pulled the trigger and turned "conditional sale" to "sale" on Tuesday (our salesrep's day off was Monday). We went through the "delivery process" meaning we learned "a lot" (but not all) of the new features and the new MMI interface. We then had a second delivery one-week later where we learned more voice prompts and shortcuts.

We have one issue: There are virtually NO replacement tires on the market yet. If a tire was destroyed, there are no Hankook tires available at all of the usual suspects. I reached out to the Tirerack and they do not show a Hankook tire of size 22" x 280 x 40 as a choice.

Now, at $79,340 this is a great car and a "value" -- once the car gets deep in the $80's and even close to $100K, I'm not so sure. I might look more carefully at a Cayenne at those prices, since the Q8 seems to need "just a bit" more power -- at $93K, I think I would feel "is that all there is."

Said it before: Pay me $1,250 and I still wouldn't want the leather dash. Perhaps with the full "lux" package on top of a Prestige model, it would look good (for a couple of years), but while I would like to have the HUD, I wouldn't get Prestige because I don't want a leather dash. Personal preference.

My wife now has 800+ miles on the thing and the gas mileage is already improving. I think by 5,000 miles (when we will get our first oil change), some of my "power" concerns will be diminished. My wife loves the thing and we both think, out of 34 Audis this is the best one yet. I'm hopeful for the interior MMI upgrade for the 2020 S4 -- if so, I'm there.

We're not a Q7 family with two of us and a 19 pound Sheltie and a mother-in-law in the back seat from time to time. The Q7 and Q8 seem to us to not be vehicles that would be considered simultaneously. The Q8 is wider and shorter and is not designed to have cubes and cubes and more cubes of space (or even a third-row seat). If you need a Q7, the Q8 probably would seem inefficient and too expensive. On the other hand, if you're looking for a "personal" sporty-SUV and a $240,000 Urus seems excessive (in cost, at least), an $80K ($79,340) Q8 might just be "the ticket" for you.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 11-19-2018 at 05:53 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by markcincinnati:
BlvdBrawler (11-03-2019), jcitriniti (11-03-2019), Peckbull (05-23-2021)
Old 11-19-2018, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Omnipotent
Judging by your review, I think your mind is already made up. I don’t even know how the 8 is still on your list..?
The Q8 is still in contention, just need to drive another one with more time behind the wheel.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Interesting how our experience was largely the exact opposite of yours:

We tested a P+ with First Year Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, CD/DVD player and Towing Package. The thing was in Orca Black (also extra cost) and had Black Leather. The MSRP was $79,340

The tires were the 22" 280 x 40 aspect ratio Hankook All-season High Performance (the vehicle is speed limited to 130MPH).

We had been given a 2018 Q7 (with about 2K miles on it) with virtually every option -- the Q7 was a Prestige model with it's window sticker full of "luxury" type optional extras and a price of just south of $78K.

We kept the Q7 over the weekend and even took it on a 200-mile trip. The Q7 was very nice, but the interior from the perspective of sitting in the front seat was that it was smaller than the Q8 we had taken an hour-long test drive in.

The back seat, however, was much smaller in the Q7 -- the Q8's back seat felt huge by comparison.

Cargo space, however, was less in the Q8 than the Q7.

The Q7 had the power close doors, dual pane glass and the Alcantara covered everything option.

First impression: The Q8 is the quietest car, period, we've ever been in/driven including a new (2018) A8 -- ONLY a Tesla is quieter. Also, I've read there is a Mercedes that is quieter, but since we've not been in it, we can't say. With the dual pane glass it would have to be even more so. The 22" wheels/tires since they retain a "sensible" aspect ratio of 40 add a nimbleness to the driving experience. This Q8 had the steel suspension (or is it aluminum), not the air suspension. We set the ADS to:

Engine/Transmission: Dynamic
Suspension: Dynamic
Steering: Comfort

This setting was the config preferred by my wife (who had been used to a 2014 SQ5 for 93,000+ miles and a 2018 SQ5 for 34,000+ miles (both Prestige models) as she wanted the big Q8 to feel a little more sporty than the thing would be if left in full auto ADS mode.

The engine power, between the two: Q8 feels more spritely due to both extra torque and the fact that it comes on at 1350 RPM; the Q7 is no slouch, but relatively the Q7 feels less enthusiastic from take off.

The sound system in the Q8 was the B&O set up, the Q7 had the Bose system. The Q8's was a breath of fresh air -- our choices of music were sourced from my iPhone and we played the same songs on both systems. The Bose system isn't horrible, but the B&O system is a huge step up,

The driver assist aids (ACC and lane keeping) exhibit none of the ping-pong effects that are evident in the Q7 (both were set up as close as possible based on the MMI parameters. I assume this is due to the use of a laser in the Q8 versus the "radar" in the Q7.)

Here's our perspective: We were coming from a garage that, most recently, had a 2014 S4 and SQ5 and after that a 2018 S4 and SQ5. We had put a 2019 SQ5 on order and it had an arrival date of 12/5. We drove the Q8 "from a hobby perspective," that is, at the moment, we were driving the Q8 for informational and educational reasons, we had, initially no intention of NOT moving forward with the newer SQ5 Prestige with the air suspension option. The Q8 was about $13,000 more than the ordered SQ5. The Q8 was optioned at "nearly" Prestige features plus it had the First Year package which makes an Orca Black Q8 look HUGE, my wife said it looked like a Urus and better than a Cayenne.

She said it was "the hulk" with its wide haunches (the so-called Ur Quattro "influence.") Triple black made us nickname it Darth Vader, and we just call it Vader.

We've now driven it twice (round trip) between Cincinnati and Columbus (200+ miles) and the thing is so quiet, serene even, the trip is much less tiring than even a similar journey in a very nice SQ5. I can cross my legs in the front seat even, And, of course, crossing my legs in the back seat is even easier. I'm 6' tall.

After a one-hour test drive in the new Q8 we bought it, "conditionally." The condition -- ONE -- was that my 95 year old (she's really 93, but I kid her) mother-in-law could get in and out of the back seat without any aid (not that we wouldn't help her, mind you, we just wanted to SEE if she COULD do it.) That is why they gave us their top-spec Q7 which they said would be "close enough for jazz" to the Q8's ground clearance (the Q8 is about a 1/2" lower as ours is optioned.)

My wife said the Q7 (compared to both her SQ5 and the Q8) felt like a station wagon and was noticably less nimble -- she said the Q7 felt, to her, sluggish and lumbering again when compared with the Q8.

We pulled the trigger and turned "conditional sale" to "sale" on Tuesday (our salesrep's day off was Monday). We went through the "delivery process" meaning we learned "a lot" (but not all) of the new features and the new MMI interface. We then had a second delivery one-week later where we learned more voice prompts and shortcuts.

We have one issue: There are virtually NO replacement tires on the market yet. If a tire was destroyed, there are no Hankook tires available at all of the usual suspects. I reached out to the Tirerack and they do not show a Hankook tire of size 22" x 280 x 40 as a choice.

Now, at $79,340 this is a great car and a "value" -- once the car gets deep in the $80's and even close to $100K, I'm not so sure. I might look more carefully at a Cayenne at those prices, since the Q8 seems to need "just a bit" more power -- at $93K, I think I would feel "is that all there is."

Said it before: Pay me $1,250 and I still wouldn't want the leather dash. Perhaps with the full "lux" package on top of a Prestige model, it would look good (for a couple of years), but while I would like to have the HUD, I wouldn't get Prestige because I don't want a leather dash. Personal preference.

My wife now has 800+ miles on the thing and the gas mileage is already improving. I think by 5,000 miles (when we will get our first oil change), some of my "power" concerns will be diminished. My wife loves the thing and we both think, out of 34 Audis this is the best one yet. I'm hopeful for the interior MMI upgrade for the 2020 S4 -- if so, I'm there.

We're not a Q7 family with two of us and a 19 pound Sheltie and a mother-in-law in the back seat from time to time. The Q7 and Q8 seem to us to not be vehicles that would be considered simultaneously. The Q8 is wider and shorter and is not designed to have cubes and cubes and more cubes of space (or even a third-row seat). If you need a Q7, the Q8 probably would seem inefficient and too expensive. On the other hand, if you're looking for a "personal" sporty-SUV and a $240,000 Urus seems excessive (in cost, at least), an $80K ($79,340) Q8 might just be "the ticket" for you.
Since yours had summer tires (like our Q7) it could indeed be the reason why we experienced so much more road noise with AS's on the 8. Comparing two vehicles not similarly equipped isn't really the fairest comp. but in my case our Q7 was just under $80k and has the same level of options (sans the B&O) as the Q8 we tested. The Q8 we spec'd (if we decide to go that route) is $91k (no advanced B&O). As mentioned, I found the power to be plentiful in the Q8, just need to put ones foot into it a bit more and it goes. The Q8 does indeed have more back seat room, but the cargo area is smaller. The Q7 is just a beefier and larger (height and length) vehicle and my wife likes that and quite frankly so do I, but it's not a deal breaker. We will test another Q8 before we make our final decision. Tried the Cayenne mos ago and did not care for it, the interior looks cheaper comp'd to our Q7.

Last edited by RJC 1; 11-19-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ours did NOT have summer tires, it had the Hankook Performance All Seasons -- we were looking to see if an Ultra-High-Performance All.Season tire is yet offered from Michelin, for example. It has been my experience that summer tires develop road noise quickly (relatively speaking) because their soft tread wears quickly and the tires get noisy by 10,000 miles. Audi, as far as I know, has made STANDARD "grand touring" tires which have a modicum of stickiness but also fairly long tread life. The H rating is a dead giveaway -- H = Performance, which beats a poke. But, what we were looking for are tires that are rated Z or W but are also UHP in terms of their performance. Considering our frequent long stints on the Interstate, we probably SHOULD KEEP the HP tires and forego UHP variants, but the thing is, the UHP versions often impart the next level of handling prowess to the cars that are shod with them.

We're -- at 800+ miles on the Q8 -- many miles away from replacements. I looked out of curiosity on Tirerack.com, that's when I noticed the rarity of a 280 x 40 x 22" UPH A/S tire. More will come, no doubt.

When you said you thought the thing was noisy, and I know we have 22" wheels, I thought there must be something afoot -- as we have talked with other Q8 owners and one of the top 3 things they talk about is how quiet their Q8's are.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:43 PM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Tire availability is an issue with the 22" rims. I cant believe there are only 2 options for sale right now (I think), and not from the usual Conti / Michelin brands. I was hoping to find Conti DWS in the 22" but nothing right now. I think there is only 1 snow tire from Pirelli. I wonder how long before more tire choices become available?
Old 11-19-2018, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Ours did NOT have summer tires, it had the Hankook Performance All Seasons -- we were looking to see if an Ultra-High-Performance All.Season tire is yet offered from Michelin, for example. It has been my experience that summer tires develop road noise quickly (relatively speaking) because their soft tread wears quickly and the tires get noisy by 10,000 miles. Audi, as far as I know, has made STANDARD "grand touring" tires which have a modicum of stickiness but also fairly long tread life. The H rating is a dead giveaway -- H = Performance, which beats a poke. But, what we were looking for are tires that are rated Z or W but are also UHP in terms of their performance. Considering our frequent long stints on the Interstate, we probably SHOULD KEEP the HP tires and forego UHP variants, but the thing is, the UHP versions often impart the next level of handling prowess to the cars that are shod with them.

We're -- at 800+ miles on the Q8 -- many miles away from replacements. I looked out of curiosity on Tirerack.com, that's when I noticed the rarity of a 280 x 40 x 22" UPH A/S tire. More will come, no doubt.

When you said you thought the thing was noisy, and I know we have 22" wheels, I thought there must be something afoot -- as we have talked with other Q8 owners and one of the top 3 things they talk about is how quiet their Q8's are.
I had thought I saw in your earlier post you mentioned something about summer tires...nonetheless, we will are still planning to test another Q8 and see what happens before we take the 19 Q7.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by f10
Tire availability is an issue with the 22" rims. I cant believe there are only 2 options for sale right now (I think), and not from the usual Conti / Michelin brands. I was hoping to find Conti DWS in the 22" but nothing right now. I think there is only 1 snow tire from Pirelli. I wonder how long before more tire choices become available?
I see the Q8's with Y-1 almost all have Conti 6's, yet the Q7 with the same rims are getting Hankook's. Hankook's were the tires making so much noise on the Q8 tester and so far not impressed.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have NO experience, period, with Hankooks. The tire that is on our Q8 is, however, a Hankook. The tires are, of course, all-seasons. But, all i can tell you is they are 280 x 40 x 22 and are H rated with a tread life indicator of 560 (which could be impressive, but since it only is a relative number and only relative to Hankooks, it may or may not be an indicator of prodigious tread life.) Typically long tread life means almost all other attributes are no better than a "C". So, I assume these tires are good for perhaps 30K but not quite 40K or something in that neighborhood. There is NO road noise. The tires are providing decent turn-in and impressive (considering the Q8 weighs in at over 5,000 pounds) handling, so far. My assumption is if the Michelin top class UHP A/S tire IN THAT SIZE becomes available, the Q8 will ride and handle even better. Perhaps the wheels, perhaps the tires themselves are the reason for the perceived quietness. We did not drive a Q8 with any other set up than the 22" shoes.

The Q8 isn't an S4, but it isn't intended to be, I'd wager.

And, it is only MY opinion that a Q7 and Q8 customer would not cross-shop the other vehicle, are not the same person -- clearly, you are looking seriously at both. It just means I'm wrong. My guess is you'll go with the Q7, but it's just a guess. I could've just as easily thrown a dart.

My wife sees zero similarity behind the wheel -- although she admits to some technical spec similarities. I'm not quite at ZERO similarities, but I do find them more like cousins than siblings.

In any case, my assumption is you should get the vehicle that you determine is best for you not for the rest of us opinionated folks here on AW. You know, we'll congratulate you no matter what you do.

The S4 is -- for me -- a great car and it's fun to drive. Meanwhile, I get to ride in the Q8 on weekends and even drive it a little.

I sort of was hoping the new A6 would thrill me, but it seems so large -- actually larger than the Q8 in many respects. Probably I am wrong, but perception is reality,

Quick Reply: Q8 Not What I Expected