Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 Not What I Expected

Old 11-19-2018, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I have NO experience, period, with Hankooks. The tire that is on our Q8 is, however, a Hankook. The tires are, of course, all-seasons. But, all i can tell you is they are 280 x 40 x 22 and are H rated with a tread life indicator of 560 (which could be impressive, but since it only is a relative number and only relative to Hankooks, it may or may not be an indicator of prodigious tread life.) Typically long tread life means almost all other attributes are no better than a "C". So, I assume these tires are good for perhaps 30K but not quite 40K or something in that neighborhood. There is NO road noise. The tires are providing decent turn-in and impressive (considering the Q8 weighs in at over 5,000 pounds) handling, so far. My assumption is if the Michelin top class UHP A/S tire IN THAT SIZE becomes available, the Q8 will ride and handle even better. Perhaps the wheels, perhaps the tires themselves are the reason for the perceived quietness. We did not drive a Q8 with any other set up than the 22" shoes.

The Q8 isn't an S4, but it isn't intended to be, I'd wager.

And, it is only MY opinion that a Q7 and Q8 customer would not cross-shop the other vehicle, are not the same person -- clearly, you are looking seriously at both. It just means I'm wrong. My guess is you'll go with the Q7, but it's just a guess. I could've just as easily thrown a dart.

My wife sees zero similarity behind the wheel -- although she admits to some technical spec similarities. I'm not quite at ZERO similarities, but I do find them more like cousins than siblings.

In any case, my assumption is you should get the vehicle that you determine is best for you not for the rest of us opinionated folks here on AW. You know, we'll congratulate you no matter what you do.

The S4 is -- for me -- a great car and it's fun to drive. Meanwhile, I get to ride in the Q8 on weekends and even drive it a little.

I sort of was hoping the new A6 would thrill me, but it seems so large -- actually larger than the Q8 in many respects. Probably I am wrong, but perception is reality,
There are a few Q7 owners on this forum that are possibly considering an 8, as some including myself do not have a family to haul around, but my wife luvs the extra girth of the Q7...I'm the one who advised we check out the 8 for her. Keep in mind we are cash buyers and a 19 Q8 should depreciate less than a 19 Q7 especially since the 7 will be facelifted next year, so in the end an 8 may make better financial sense for us...we'll soon see and appreciate the feedback,
Old 11-20-2018, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I enjoyed the planted feel of the Q8 which I attributed to its width and those 22" wheels and 280 x 40 tires. But the Q7 also had a good presence on the road. I would think the MMI and "cockpit" of the Q8 will make it difficult to love the (now) outdated look of the Q7's dash. I'm used to the 2018 S4's MMI, but I've never been a fan of the tacked on iPad look, and even the Q7 with the rising iPad looks clunky. I blame Mercedes since they started this which always looked like the interior designers ran out of ideas. Leave it to Audi to come up with the Starship Enterprise look.

But if there really is a need for, as you say, the extra girth, the Q7 is still a fine car. Next year the Q7 gets the Q8 treatment. Decisions, decisions.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Decisions indeed (very blessed to have ones like this to make).

I do wonder if the older tech will some day be sought after (like manual gearboxes are now) as it is easier to use/locate many functions while driving and they show no greasy finger prints etc, and the pop up screen helps keep ones eyes on the road better than the new set-up. The current Q7's do have the virtual instrument cluster so it's not quite that dated still being ahead of many current vehicles. With that said we are looking forward to trying another Q8 very soon as it would be the logical step toward the facelifted Q7 for MY2020 vs getting a 19 Q7 now.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just turned in my 2017 Q7 for 2019 Q8.

I do find the interior noise of Q8 to be a bit louder on the freeway. I also think it could be related to the tires. Mine came with HanKook tires on a 22" rims. I will most likely go to Michelin when these set wears out. Michelin are the quietest and best tires bar none from my ownership experience.

On the Q8 throttle response. I found it to be acceptable, but I noticed no difference between the two cars. What I do find is a slight louder engine noise/vibration can be felt through the steering wheel around 2.2k - 3.3k rpm range when accelerating. I figure that is the turbo. I am not sure my Q7 was a turbo, but the Q7 was silky smooth acceleration.

I took my first Q8 and drove it for a week and the slight engine noise/vibration through the steering wheel was enough for me to drive other Q8's. They drove similarly, but I found 1 that was exceptionally smoother than the rest, with the color combination we wanted (White exterior, Grey/Black interior). So, I traded it in. Also, it had a few options, but not the tow hitch, which we were not happy with. But aside from that, my wife loves her Q8 now.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correction on wheel size

Originally Posted by jsong
I just turned in my 2017 Q7 for 2019 Q8.

I do find the interior noise of Q8 to be a bit louder on the freeway. I also think it could be related to the tires. Mine came with HanKook tires on a 22" rims. I will most likely go to Michelin when these set wears out. Michelin are the quietest and best tires bar none from my ownership experience.

On the Q8 throttle response. I found it to be acceptable, but I noticed no difference between the two cars. What I do find is a slight louder engine noise/vibration can be felt through the steering wheel around 2.2k - 3.3k rpm range when accelerating. I figure that is the turbo. I am not sure my Q7 was a turbo, but the Q7 was silky smooth acceleration.

I took my first Q8 and drove it for a week and the slight engine noise/vibration through the steering wheel was enough for me to drive other Q8's. They drove similarly, but I found 1 that was exceptionally smoother than the rest, with the color combination we wanted (White exterior, Grey/Black interior). So, I traded it in. Also, it had a few options, but not the tow hitch, which we were not happy with. But aside from that, my wife loves her Q8 now.
I meant to say mine came with 21" wheels... Not 22"
Old 11-02-2019, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 776 Likes on 568 Posts

It's not the tires mainly causing increased noise but the frameless windows. One gets the same phenomenon when comparing an A6 to an A7 (both with single pane glass).
Old 11-02-2019, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 174 Likes on 139 Posts

Q8 prestige is extremely quiet. Very pleased.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 776 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by huntpsu1
Q8 prestige is extremely quiet. Very pleased.
Quiet is a matter of subjective taste. To me an S class was noisy when measured with a decimeter...

Note the Q8 comes with a single pane glass variant and a dual pane variant in some markets.

Check and see!
Old 11-02-2019, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Quiet is a matter of subjective taste. To me an S class was noisy when measured with a decimeter...

Note the Q8 comes with a single pane glass variant and a dual pane variant in some markets.

Check and see!
Dual pane glass is part of the U.S. spec Q8 Luxury package—available only for Q8 Prestige trim model. Ergo, the potential for such optioned Prestige level Q8s to actually be somewhat quieter than the Premium and Premium Plus trims.
The following 2 users liked this post by derfA8L:
angrypengu (11-03-2019), htxq8 (11-03-2019)