Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 - OBDEleven

Old 12-24-2018, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Here’s some shots of the D/S gear selector and Lap timer displays...

Old 12-25-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks much for your efforts. Your list & the google document are the clearest & most concise I've seen, & I've been collecting coding mods since I got my 17 Q7 in early 2016.
I should probably just wait until I get my car (identical to yours) & figure it out for myself, but how do you bring up the lap counter - in the information screen with the left scroll wheel?
Old 12-25-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 776 Likes on 568 Posts

Is there a specific VCDS version and/or cable one has to buy for it to work on this model? I've been out of VAG for a decade and I'm trying to bring myself up to speed.

Thanks
Old 12-25-2018, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cadx6
Thanks much for your efforts. Your list & the google document are the clearest & most concise I've seen, & I've been collecting coding mods since I got my 17 Q7 in early 2016.
I should probably just wait until I get my car (identical to yours) & figure it out for myself, but how do you bring up the lap counter - in the information screen with the left scroll wheel?
No problem, glad to be of help. I’m interested in doing some more coding but haven’t found too much else yet. I saw Welcome Home lighting mentioned so if you get near the car at night it lights up, but I think it may be only on Euro-spec. I haven’t seen too much posted anywhere about it. I enabled something called welcome light and it didn’t do anything. I also enabled a number of front and rear fog light functions but can’t see any differences.

The lighting on the car is amazing now after the codings. Having the matrix tail lights and rear bar light up at every unlock is such a nice feature, not to mention these lights are actually DRLs now as well. Also the double flash of the DRLs at unlock adds to the whole effect. The headlights look a lot cleaner without that goofy orange bulb, and the Low Beam at High Beam lights up the whole neighborhood it’s unreal. The range limitation codings for the key fob are good as well. You can lock/unlock now from super far away, although I guess that will burn the key battery faster.

The Lap timer screen is accessed through the menu button (steering wheel - left side) if you are on the Vehicle info display. If you are on the menu that shows Date/Time or Consumption and then select the menu button then the screen pictured below pops up, and you then use the scroll wheel to select Lap Timer or Lap statistics...

Old 12-25-2018, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Is there a specific VCDS version and/or cable one has to buy for it to work on this model? I've been out of VAG for a decade and I'm trying to bring myself up to speed.

Thanks
OBDEleven is the easiest and cheapest way to program. It’s a small software tool that plugs in under the steering wheel and wirelessly connects to an android device.
The following users liked this post:
Francisamar (09-01-2021)
Old 12-26-2018, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the info. Are the credits needed for everything? I thought I read they arent if you just use the code? Is that correct? The site you listed to purchase says $79.99 for everything and 200 credits and $55.99 for everything and 100 credits. Wondering if the credits are necessary.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dubbrand
Thanks for the info. Are the credits needed for everything? I thought I read they arent if you just use the code? Is that correct? The site you listed to purchase says $79.99 for everything and 200 credits and $55.99 for everything and 100 credits. Wondering if the credits are necessary.
each functionality in the app will cost you some credits so yes you need them
Old 12-26-2018, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dubbrand
Actually the Q8 only has three apps that I can see, and I didn’t use any of them, or any credits at all. I did everything without the one-click apps, so you may want the cheaper version.

Last edited by jrjunior31; 12-26-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by riazah
each functionality in the app will cost you some credits so yes you need them
Only if you want to use their one-click apps, which aren't required as long as you get the "Pro" dongle. Any of the coding instructions that you can find on this forum or elsewhere can be programmed without using any credits, and usually quite easily. They usually take the form of "go here and change this value to this", and are trivial to do, but you *do* need to buy the "Pro" version of OBDEleven that allows you do manual coding. You'll know exactly what you're doing, what the options are, and be able to try anything you can find on the web for free, rather than just what's exposed via apps.

Edit: this has a better description of the basic/pro differences than the OBDEleven site: https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/ob...-standard.html
Old 12-26-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought this https://www.shopdap.com/vw-audi-scan...obdeleven.html I guess I'll just save the credits in case I want to do anything on the fly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q8 - OBDEleven