Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 - OBDEleven

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31

OBDEleven is the easiest and cheapest way to program. It’s a small software tool that plugs in under the steering wheel and wirelessly connects to an android device.
I'm familiar with the app, but my thoughts are...

1) I want to pay for something once, without the need to pay for additional credits
2) I believe I can code things in VCDS that I cannot with OBDEleven, is that the case?

Am I way off base with regards to the above? Thanks for your help!
Old 12-26-2018, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
2) I believe I can code things in VCDS that I cannot with OBDEleven, is that the case?
No, I don't think that's the case. With OBDEleven Pro, you can do the same adaptation & long coding that you can do in VCDS. VCDS is a much more complex, expensive, and kinda clunky solution, and I haven't found any meaningful value in the additional capabilities beyond what you can do with OBDEleven. I got VCDS for the same reason that you mention, but I've found it to be unnecessary for the type of changes that I and most folks care about. The cheaper wired variant of VCDS is also much less convenient to use than the Bluetooth/Android combo of OBDEleven. My recommendation is to save your money and go with OBDEleven Pro.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rccoleman
No, I don't think that's the case. With OBDEleven Pro, you can do the same adaptation & long coding that you can do in VCDS. VCDS is a much more complex, expensive, and kinda clunky solution, and I haven't found any meaningful value in the additional capabilities beyond what you can do with OBDEleven. I got VCDS for the same reason that you mention, but I've found it to be unnecessary for the type of changes that I and most folks care about. The cheaper wired variant of VCDS is also much less convenient to use than the Bluetooth/Android combo of OBDEleven. My recommendation is to save your money and go with OBDEleven Pro.
Thank you. I'm just watching the video from Paul Barrett right now. I guess I only have one last question then, as I believe you're swayed me to buy OBDEleven instead.

With the pro version, as you mention, I can do basically any adaptation/long coding I want, which is where I used to live when I had an Audi - I believe that by doing this I do not need to use any credits, and that OBDEleven apps are for those folks who don't want to do everything "manually" (by long coding). So if I stick to doing things manually, I don't need to use any credits, right?

E.g. this gives me the same functionality as VCDS?

Danke!
Old 12-26-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you. I'm just watching the video from Paul Barrett right now. I guess I only have one last question then, as I believe you're swayed me to buy OBDEleven instead.

With the pro version, as you mention, I can do basically any adaptation/long coding I want, which is where I used to live when I had an Audi - I believe that by doing this I do not need to use any credits, and that OBDEleven apps are for those folks who don't want to do everything "manually" (by long coding). So if I stick to doing things manually, I don't need to use any credits, right?

E.g. this gives me the same functionality as VCDS?

Danke!
Correct. I've made lots of changes and have used no credits at all. I've never even had to do any long-coding because most of the changes are adaptations, and those that aren't are usually broken out into user-friendly fields/options in the UI that simplify the process and help avoid changing things that you don't intend to. If they haven't broken out a coding option that way, you can always go change the bits yourself. For all of this, it's the same functionality provided by VCDS in a more user-friendly package and for less money.
The following users liked this post:
OSUMD (09-25-2020)
Old 12-26-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

What are those three?
Old 12-26-2018, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Correct. I've made lots of changes and have used no credits at all. I've never even had to do any long-coding because most of the changes are adaptations, and those that aren't are usually broken out into user-friendly fields/options in the UI that simplify the process and help avoid changing things that you don't intend to. If they haven't broken out a coding option that way, you can always go change the bits yourself. For all of this, it's the same functionality provided by VCDS in a more user-friendly package and for less money.
Thank you. This was very helpful information. Much appreciated, and I did confirm just now on the D5 A8 that there's only 4 apps and they're all useless (for me). Off to long coding it is!
Old 12-26-2018, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you. This was very helpful information. Much appreciated, and I did confirm just now on the D5 A8 that there's only 4 apps and they're all useless (for me). Off to long coding it is!
Glad to help. Keep in mind that sometimes the coding options change from model to model and year to year and what you find on the web may not work for you. I suspect that part of the reason that the list of apps for new models is so limited is that they only publish what they know will work, and other options either haven't been verified or simply don't work anymore. With the huge MMI changes in the new models, you'll probably be more limited in terms of what you can do until the community digs up new config items or updates older ones. Luckily, I got my B9 S5 in Feb 2018 and there was already a well-established list of working mods for my model.

OBDEleven will keep track of what you've changed so that you should be able to revert any change that you make, but I recommend keeping a separate log just in case. Especially since you're working with a brand new model.
The following users liked this post:
hockeymonster (08-21-2021)
Old 12-26-2018, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Glad to help. Keep in mind that sometimes the coding options change from model to model and year to year and what you find on the web may not work for you. I suspect that part of the reason that the list of apps for new models is so limited is that they only publish what they know will work, and other options either haven't been verified or simply don't work anymore. With the huge MMI changes in the new models, you'll probably be more limited in terms of what you can do until the community digs up new config items or updates older ones. Luckily, I got my B9 S5 in Feb 2018 and there was already a well-established list of working mods for my model.
Awesome, thanks, and duly noted. Have you figured out how to turn off auto start/stop on the Q8?
Old 12-26-2018, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Does the app just auto-update when these new changes are discovered?
Old 12-26-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Awesome, thanks, and duly noted. Have you figured out how to turn off auto start/stop on the Q8?
I have a B9 S5, so I'll be of little practical help with your Q8 I would try this, and keep in mind that it adjusts the threshold of the AC to make it more likely to keep the engine on and doesn't completely turn off auto stop/start. Since the Q8 has a 48v mild hybrid system that can power many of the cars systems without requiring the engine to be on, it's possible that this trick won't work anymore. Try it and report back!

From another poster in another thread:
1.Use OBD11 or VCDS
2. go to address 08, adaptation, AC Comfort parameter for start/stop. ("IDE03253 - A/C comfort parameter for start-stop function")
3. Stored value was 5, changed to 0.
4. This works, but only as long as the HVAC system is turned on
5. Changing position of start/stop button will not do anything

Quick Reply: Q8 - OBDEleven