Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 or other alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
Yep, I wonder why they would cut corners on what's effectively their flagship SUV?

​​​​​​
They most likely decided to do it across the board, unless perhaps they're still doing it on R/S's? You do get much more torque with the new turbo 6, and how often does one look under the hood? For me, probably more than most since I prefer to wash/wax my own so it still sux lol. I also think people will miss the buttons and switches over the t/s stuff (that tech is cheaper too). This kind of stuff is making my decision on the 19 q7 vs the Q8 harder.

Last edited by RJC 1; 11-26-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep, I wonder why they would cut corners on what's effectively their flagship SUV.

I agree which makes it sad because I like both brands. I went with the X5 for different reasons but am glad I did. What are your X5 build specs? Do you use any of the BMW forums?

​​​​​​
My build:
https://www.bmwusa.com/byo.html#!/bu...mmary/ds6bk9dv
I am a member of www.bimmerpost.com but I am not a regular there.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ven7782
My build:
I see you're from Holmdel, what a lovely place...unreal grew up there many moons ago..I remember lots of horse farms, apple orchards and finding American Indian relics in the brook behind our home.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RJC 1
I see you're from Holmdel, what a lovely place...unreal grew up there many moons ago..I remember lots of horse farms, apple orchards and finding American Indian relics in the brook behind our home.
I moved here 4 years back for their good schools. I used to live in the neighboring Matawan. Holmdel is a great place indeed and we love it.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I moved here 4 years back for their good schools. I used to live in the neighboring Matawan. Holmdel is a great place indeed and we love it.
Good schools indeed. I attended them all and my fellow students were mostly sons and daughters of Bell Labs engineers working on communications for the space program.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rogueq8
My 0,02$. In considering the Q8, I compared it with the upcoming X7, not the X5. Since I wanted a real SUV i.e. reliable and effective AWD, I went for quattro, not xdrive. And many people I know and trust, and who know cars, told me Audi is much more reliable than BMW, the latter being particularly known for failing and unreliable electronics. Never owned a BMW, so can't tell for myself tough.
My experience has been the opposite, with a several decade history of BMW ownership. My single experience with my Audi Q7 is that it's the most unreliable car I've owned with regard to the interior tech/electronics/connectivity features, including Lexus in the mix as well. And as far as I know, xDrive and Quattro are fairly similar in AWD performance - I've at least found that to be the case with my current Q7 compared to my X5d.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Doc H
My experience has been the opposite, with a several decade history of BMW ownership. My single experience with my Audi Q7 is that it's the most unreliable car I've owned with regard to the interior tech/electronics/connectivity features, including Lexus in the mix as well. And as far as I know, xDrive and Quattro are fairly similar in AWD performance - I've at least found that to be the case with my current Q7 compared to my X5d.
If you've had such a poor experience why do you own two, or is one a replacement?
Old 11-27-2018, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My build:
Looks great, my current BMW is pythonic Blue, it's a lovely color! My username is the same on all the forums (Bimmerpost, Bimmerfest and of course here).

They most likely decided to do it across the board, unless perhaps they're still doing it on R/S's? You do get much more torque with the new turbo 6, and how often does one look under the hood? For me, probably more than most since I prefer to wash/wax my own so it still sux lol. I also think people will miss the buttons and switches over the t/s stuff (that tech is cheaper too). This kind of stuff is making my decision on the 19 q7 vs the Q8 harder.
Hard to say, my SQ5 didn't have red coil packs either from what I recall. Honestly I don't know why they're cutting corners for the prices each vehicle is going for unless there's more to it. That is true, I prefer turbos over superchargers in most applications and your power band is usually a little better with how Audi has it. I love tech (used to write for a rather large tech site in my spare time) although buttons should still be used for key functions for safety and convienence. I wish Audi kept their MMI rotary **** in some form because that's the best of all worlds
​​​​​​. BMW has a touch screen with the rotary controller which is the best of both worlds in my opinion. I only hand wash my car which is done weekly because I enjoy it. The Q8 is likely a better bet considering how it's newer and will hold value better since a Q7 refresh is imminent if that matters to you.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If you've had such a poor experience why do you own two, or is one a replacement?
I didn't have a poor experience until I bought the cars - replacements for two X5ds. We went with Audi for a number of reasons - less than stellar local BMW dealership, and our service rep was one we really liked who actually transferred from BMW to Audi. We moved from BMW because a) they were 2015 and dated, although both had every option. At the time (early 2018), BMW had no 4-wheel steering or air suspension, no semi-autonomous features, massaging seats, et al. So we wanted to upgrade the tech, and the Q7 got rave reviews everywhere; b) - and it's a big one - they were diesel. BMW, Audi, Porsche, MB are all out of the diesel business in the US, probably for good. Awesome torque, better performance than any gas alternative we ever owned (except maybe our German M5 on the autobahn!), great economy, but all things considered, a dinosaur in the states. Maybe to return someday, but unlikely. All that said, the interior quality of the BMWs was better than Audi - better leather (and better coverage), better fit and finish, and really, better ergonomics - in a 2015 car. My opinion, but over several years of ownership of BMWs. Audi is good - which is why we bought it - but frankly a little too much plastic where it shouldn't be in a car at this price range, and little things, evenly distributed between both cars - like a detached rear vent when we bought it, detached door handle trim, and minor paint flaws - strike one.

The tech has been the most disappointing - and yes, we test drove extensively. The connectivity in both of our cars has been randomly glitchy (ACC stopping for no apparent reason, phone connectivity, GE view randomly switching, overhead view disappearing), and even when it works correctly, it's missing features available in BMW - voice control for temperature for example, or radio station changes. Little things admittedly, but that's what makes gee-whizz tech - and they were available in a 2015 car. When it works (presumably) correctly, it's still frustrating - waiting forever when I pull out of my driveway for the nav to connect, for instance. Some things were not intuitive - the absence of headlight washers unless you have the NV option for instance, although the bumper cutouts are there for all Q7 trims (or were in 2018), and even my dealer didn't know it wasn't there. Didn't affect our builds, because we have most of the options on both cars, but just seemed a cheap shot by Audi, and "fine print stuff." Strike two.

Seems like everything Audi is extra - connectivity for example. Included for six months, but exorbitantly priced afterwards, and the kicker is the fine print on Audi's web site that GE will be d/c'd after 2020 for 2018 models and earlier - one of the major selling points for Audi with the "VC," and still heavily advertised. Most of BMW's options are reasonable compared to Audi, and frequently included - long term maintenance for example. And features that were available in my 2015 BMW - auto hill-hold and automated parking - available in EU Audis but excluded for US models, and BTW advertised as features without really highlighting they are not present on Audis universally (again fine print issues - there seem to be a lot with Audi). Strike three.

To be clear, I don't hate the cars - I talked my wife out of her beloved BMW and into an Audi. They drive superbly, reasonable gas mileage, so far no critical mechanical problems, our dealership is great, the tech that is solid is wonderful. I actually like the cars in spite of their flaws - some people are Cubs fans. And I'm not a BMW fanboy - they have their own issues, and all new cars have minor (sometimes major) individual faults. But all things considered, many things Audi seem borderline or in actuality deceptive, and not I think by accident - their corporate history supports that observation. Won't keep me from test driving the Q8 and considering it in my next SUV search or even buying one, but I'll be a wiser consumer then. Audi will have to show me more than they already have for me to be really interested again, and frankly their corporate attitude seems to be that they don't care if I'm a repeat customer or not. So news flash to Audi - ditto.

Last edited by Doc H; 11-27-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Looks great, my current BMW is pythonic Blue, it's a lovely color! My username is the same on all the forums (Bimmerpost, Bimmerfest and of course here).
Of all the available color choices, that was the only one that stood out. I was really disappointed by the lack of decent color choices for the new X5.

Quick Reply: Q8 or other alternatives?