Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 or other alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ven7782
Of all the available color choices, that was the only one that stood out. I was really disappointed by the lack of decent color choices for the new X5.
I agree, since my current one is Pythonic Blue I went with Carbon Black because it's an odd shade of very deep blue/black. I wish there were more blues or and orange/green thrown in.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
I agree, since my current one is Pythonic Blue I went with Carbon Black because it's an odd shade of very deep blue/black. I wish there were more blues or and orange/green thrown in.
Now that you’re a BMW guy why keep hanging on the forum dissing the Audi? I’m getting a 2020 GLE but don’t intend to keep posting here about how much better it was than the Q8 or my 3rd choice the X5....just saying!
Old 11-28-2018, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S

Now that you’re a BMW guy why keep hanging on the forum dissing the Audi? I’m getting a 2020 GLE but don’t intend to keep posting here about how much better it was than the Q8 or my 3rd choice the X5....just saying!
I don’t see where he is “dissing the Audi”. In fact, he is agreeing with another poster who is criticizing the BMW for lack of color choices. Seems to me he’s got the same right as you do to participate in the discussions here.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AEC33
I don’t see where he is “dissing the Audi”. In fact, he is agreeing with another poster who is criticizing the BMW for lack of color choices. Seems to me he’s got the same right as you do to participate in the discussions here.
Correct everyone has a right to post here. AR had an SQ5 and had a lot of good posts before switching to a BMW but for about what seems like a year now I’ve followed posts on the Q5 Forum and now the Q8. Most posts are accurate and one persons opinion but after all this time-give me a break!
Taken together the posts point out the superiority of the BMW....but that’s my opinion and as you said I’m entitled to it.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Now that you’re a BMW guy why keep hanging on the forum dissing the Audi?
You call this an opinion? I call this bullying and uncalled for. You don't need to tell who should be hanging here and doing what. We all are having a healthy discussion and at no point did anyone diss Audi or call it inferior.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Correct everyone has a right to post here. AR had an SQ5 and had a lot of good posts before switching to a BMW but for about what seems like a year now I’ve followed posts on the Q5 Forum and now the Q8. Most posts are accurate and one persons opinion but after all this time-give me a break!
Taken together the posts point out the superiority of the BMW....but that’s my opinion and as you said I’m entitled to it.

I don't care who posts here. Within reason (and with some filtering to keep this PG-13 or PG), I am fine with "opinions." They're generally defense mechanisms when they -- on an Audi "fan" site -- "point out the superiority of the BMW," and it is my opinion that such comments and conclusions, while clearly allowable, are generally inappropriate. If you have become convinced of the superiority of BMW, it would seem that stating this on a "BMWWORLD" site would be a better venue.

I have to assume after years of participating on THIS site that this is the place, overwhelmingly, where Audi mavens come to learn and share (typically in a positive way) about Audis, not BMWs, Mercedes, and other brands. My wife and I have had a lot of cars, Audis, BMWs, VWs and one Acura and one Infinity. When I was in college I had a Chrysler Newport and she had a Pontiac GTO with a Hurst shifter (with the cue ball shift-****). When we found Audi, we became fans of the brand. Our three BMWs were good cars, too. And we more or less got into the whole German car thing with a VW Jetta (in the '70s').

It is anyone's "right" to come here and proclaim the superiority of another brand, of course. I just don't want to read how my favorite brand is somehow inferior to another brand -- and, therefore, I would greatly appreciate it if fans of BMWs don't tell those of us who have spent, in some cases, hundreds and hundreds of thousand dollars, that we've chosen poorly or unwisely.

Although I may be guilty of doing exactly what I am saying I don't want, I'll just conclude by saying I hope this forum doesn't devolve into a pissing match.

No car (brand) is perfect. I hereby concede BMW makes great cars, overall. Some of us, however, prefer Audis and that is why we come to Audiworld.com. If you're a BMW (or whatever brand) owner or aficionado, congratulations. Please, if you want to post here, may I request that you don't discredit my brand and, likewise, I won't bad mouth yours. Audi makes great cars, too. I would not suggest you wasted your money by NOT buying an Audi, only you can come to THAT conclusion. As far as I know, you did indeed make the right decision by buying BMW, I, too, made the right decision by buying Audi (actually 34 of them).

I remain, often wrong, never uncertain.

Mark
Old 11-30-2018, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I actually like to read conflicting, sometimes negative opinions, on all the comparable car sites. The more the merrier. None of the modern SUV crowd is "perfect," and I certainly want to read what real owners like or dislike about their cars, often compared to similar competing models; new luxury models are a considerable financial investment to most folks, and many reviews and certainly the manufacturers websites are universally fanboy praise. Same reason I read actual auto reviews with healthy scepticism, and pay attention to who funded it and who wrote it. One of the Volvo sites (Swedespeed) is the main reason I don't own an XC90 now. And as an owner of two brand new 2018 Q7s, I think I can have an opinion about how these cars compare to other comparable cars I've owned, and I'm happy to share it with fellow owners and owners of anything else - seems reasonable to me to post these on a site actually dedicated to these cars. It's just a car, and it's just my opinion - my financial investment doesn't necessarily equate to my emotional investment in any car (or anything else) I own. Sometimes I even see factual data to support opinions, but any opinion or observation is a piece of data I might value. I especially appreciate any input by someone who owns or has had long-term experience with any brand that might influence my future purchasing decisions, or points out a positive or negative thing I might not know about, that doesn't show up anywhere else. Oh, and Audi, BMW, Volvo, and MB all make great cars. Probably some other manufacturers do too. Bring it.

Last edited by Doc H; 11-30-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Doc H
I actually like to read conflicting, sometimes negative opinions, on all the comparable car sites. The more the merrier. None of the modern SUV crowd is "perfect," and I certainly want to read what real owners like or dislike about their cars, often compared to similar competing models; new luxury models are a considerable financial investment to most folks, and many reviews and certainly the manufacturers' websites are universally fanboy praise. Same reason I read actual auto reviews with healthy skepticism, and pay attention to who funded it and who wrote it. One of the Volvo sites (Swedespeed) is the main reason I don't own an XC90 now. And as an owner of two brand new 2018 Q7s, I think I can have an opinion about how these cars compare to other comparable cars I've owned, and I'm happy to share it with fellow owners and owners of anything else - seems reasonable to me to post these on a site actually dedicated to these cars. It's just a car, and it's just my opinion - my financial investment doesn't necessarily equate to my emotional investment in any car (or anything else) I own. Sometimes I even see factual data to support opinions, but any opinion or observation is a piece of data I might value. I especially appreciate any input by someone who owns or has had long-term experience with any brand that might influence my future purchasing decisions, or points out a positive or negative thing I might not know about, that doesn't show up anywhere else. Oh, and Audi, BMW, Volvo, and MB all make great cars. Probably some other manufacturers do too. Bring it.
I too want to read what real owners like and dislike about their cars. I prefer not to be told that my "fill-in-the-blank" is inferior. If you have a Q8 for instance and you are unhappy with it -- please share. If you bought an X6 please don't tell us that you have the superior car -- instead, regale us with your experiences with your X6 without saying our Q8's are lame.

What I am saying is to please refrain from pejorative comments when your perspective is "I just bought a BMW and thank god I no longer have to live with those POC Audis anymore." Rather, you could share the experience(s) you had with your car or cars and not make comments about my purchase that read like ad hominem attacks.

And, by all means, bring on the factual data good, bad, beautiful, and ugly.

So, while I too would value an opinion -- "I love my BMW," for instance (and here's why), simply saying "this and this and this post proves that the car I chose is superior." Why not simply point out why you value whatever it is you value in your choice.

If you believe "insert statement here" about your new vehicle and there is data to back it up, bring it on. If the BMW accelerates to 60mph in 5.5 seconds and the Audi is slower, you certainly could state those facts and understand that although factual, there are other factors that might make the next person go for the Audi. I can figure out that if the BMW is 5.5 seconds and the Audi is 5.6 seconds that in that regard the BMW is quicker. Then, I can figure out for myself if that quickness MEANS the vehicle is superior -- for some people, quickness may trump all else, for other people up to half a second of difference may be immaterial.

Nothing I said suggested I didn't invite opinions and certainly not data, but I'm sure there are people who think Volvos are superior to BMWs and Audis alike -- even though you don't.

Moreover, if I read a post from you -- as an Audi owner (or perhaps even a Q8 owner) -- revealing information about your experience with the car, I lend a lot of credence to that post. A post suggesting that BMWs are superior -- apparently just because I bought one and you didn't -- well, that is an ad hominem attack, it does not advance the "argument" one bit, indeed, it probably makes me think you just went out of your way to insult me and the way I spent my $80,000. No one wants to hear that, it is unhelpful. Why you bought your BMW or Volvo is interesting and quite possibly valuable (especially if I am still shopping). But telling me I'm a fool if I buy an inferior product is not at all valuable -- quite the contrary. By the same token, I would assume just because you own two new Q7s that you don't think the person who bought a new X5 made a big mistake (and if you really do think that, I would hope to god you wouldn't go over on the BMWWORLD website and say "Q7s are superior to X5s," or worse, "X5s are inferior to Q7s. Well, unless your intent was to utter "some fightin' words.")

My best cars have been Audis. My worst car in a long long time was my first (and last) A8 -- it must've cost Audi a fortune since I'm sure every moving or electrical part on the thing was replaced (at least once) under warranty. That was a 1997 A8 that took 11 months to come in -- and even now I don't think that the 1997 A8 in any way translates to likely experiences with the new ones. I wasn't participating in any kind of "message" board (did AW even exist back then?) but I was a member of the quattro club and as I recall I simply traded the 1997 A8 in on a 2000 A6 4.2. The moral of the story: All brands have their off days and we all, probably, have a bad news story about a purchase we have made. If someone dropped a new BMW 3 series with the i6 motor in it on my doorstep, free of charge, I wouldn't suddenly think how my S4 is inferior, I'd say "Thank you!"

Still often wrong, but never uncertain, I remain.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 11-30-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I too want to read what real owners like and dislike about their cars. I prefer not to be told that my "fill-in-the-blank" is inferior. If you have a Q8 for instance and you are unhappy with it -- please share. If you bought an X6 please don't tell us that you have the superior car -- instead, regale us with your experiences with your X6 without saying our Q8's are lame.

What I am saying is to please refrain from pejorative comments when your perspective is "I just bought a BMW and thank god I no longer have to live with those POC Audis anymore." Rather, you could share the experience(s) you had with your car or cars and not make comments about my purchase that read like ad hominem attacks.

And, by all means, bring on the factual data good, bad, beautiful, and ugly.

So, while I too would value an opinion -- "I love my BMW," for instance (and here's why), simply saying "this and this and this post proves that the car I chose is superior." Why not simply point out why you value whatever it is you value in your choice.

If you believe "insert statement here" about your new vehicle and there is data to back it up, bring it on. If the BMW accelerates to 60mph in 5.5 seconds and the Audi is slower, you certainly could state those facts and understand that although factual, there are other factors that might make the next person go for the Audi. I can figure out that if the BMW is 5.5 seconds and the Audi is 5.6 seconds that in that regard the BMW is quicker. Then, I can figure out for myself if that quickness MEANS the vehicle is superior -- for some people, quickness may trump all else, for other people up to half a second of difference may be immaterial.

Nothing I said suggested I didn't invite opinions and certainly not data, but I'm sure there are people who think Volvos are superior to BMWs and Audis alike -- even though you don't.

Moreover, if I read a post from you -- as an Audi owner (or perhaps even a Q8 owner) -- revealing information about your experience with the car, I lend a lot of credence to that post. A post suggesting that BMWs are superior -- apparently just because I bought one and you didn't -- well, that is an ad hominem attack, it does not advance the "argument" one bit, indeed, it probably makes me think you just went out of your way to insult me and the way I spent my $80,000. No one wants to hear that, it is unhelpful. Why you bought your BMW or Volvo is interesting and quite possibly valuable (especially if I am still shopping). But telling me I'm a fool if I buy an inferior product is not at all valuable -- quite the contrary. By the same token, I would assume just because you own two new Q7s that you don't think the person who bought a new X5 made a big mistake (and if you really do think that, I would hope to god you wouldn't go over on the BMWWORLD website and say "Q7s are superior to X5s," or worse, "X5s are inferior to Q7s. Well, unless your intent was to utter "some fightin' words.")

My best cars have been Audis. My worst car in a long long time was my first (and last) A8 -- it must've cost Audi a fortune since I'm sure every moving or electrical part on the thing was replaced (at least once) under warranty. That was a 1997 A8 that took 11 months to come in -- and even now I don't think that the 1997 A8 in any way translates to likely experiences with the new ones. I wasn't participating in any kind of "message" board (did AW even exist back then?) but I was a member of the quattro club and as I recall I simply traded the 1997 A8 in on a 2000 A6 4.2. The moral of the story: All brands have their off days and we all, probably, have a bad news story about a purchase we have made. If someone dropped a new BMW 3 series with the i6 motor in it on my doorstep, free of charge, I wouldn't suddenly think how my S4 is inferior, I'd say "Thank you!"

Still often wrong, but never uncertain, I remain.
Agree with all of the above! And I've actually learned quite a lot from this site, and Audizine and others - thanks for all the Audi owners who contribute! Worst car I (we) ever owned was an X3 - and I could regale you on the things I hated about that car - the one car I actually had some emotional rather than factual opinions about. I think the car hated me back. So I appreciate the - mostly - collegial exchanges here and elsewhere regarding owners' SUV dejour, warts and all. New to the brand, I may even be a future Audi owner as well as a present - I really like the look of the Q8, and I'm hopeful about the tech - love my dealership as well. I'm not so keen about the things that Audi left off of the US models, some for good reasons, some I'm not so sure, and I'm guardedly suspicious of some of corporate Audi's policies and customer service, reading some reviews, although my personal experiences have been basically neutral - mostly not positive or negative. But the future can always be brighter, and any competition between manufacturers is a good thing. Driving the Q7 is a great experience overall - it is a great car, with assorted things that periodically yank my chain - but not enough to unload it after 3,000 miles as I did the X3. So standing by for developments; I appreciate discussion from long-time owners like yourself, and someday I may even be an Audi disciple - I've never really "loved" a car (except maybe my '67 Kharman Ghia or German M5), but patiently waiting for Audi to change my mind, and I would hope if they do that I wouldn't hustle over to Bimmerfest and say "you guys are dorks!"

Last edited by Doc H; 11-30-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

We test drive a lot of cars. Most of them have trouble convincing us they have the same value proposition as Audi. I think Mercedes always seem to come in at least $10,000 more than a comparably equipped Audi.

I also think Volvos are, relatively speaking, bargains. I just am not in love with the twin-charged i4s they offer. Perhaps the upcoming Polestars will change my mind. We loved our 3 BMWs, two of them were X3's and they were both great, but the 2005 X3 had a really cheap looking interior.

We've tried Acuras, BMWs, Cadillacs, Infinitis, Mercedes, Volvos and VWs. Also, tested Jeeps and Range Rovers (also way overpriced for the content they offer.) The Porsche Macan was a treat, too, but compared with an Audi SQ5 Prestige, the Macan seemed almost like buying a house it was so expensive.

In any case, we almost always come back to Audi and love AW's forums.

Hopefully, your Q7s will make you love the brand.

Prost!

Quick Reply: Q8 or other alternatives?