Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 quirks and little known features

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadx6
Anyone notice that the rear camera on the Q8 has a small nozzle that sprays the lens to clean it? First found this on my 2018 Q5. Apparently Audi must be making it standard on new models.
They reuse the same camera fixture for the non-SUV models (like my 2018 S5) and you can see where the sprayer head would go, but unfortunately it's not populated. I wish it was. Maybe it'll show up on the 2019 models, but I suspect that it's related to whether there's a washer/wiper on the rear window. If they're already running the washer lines, might as well hit the camera, too.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31

There’s also a setting in MMI for cleaning the camera I believe.
I think that setting is for cleaning the MMI displays themselves (pg 269). Turns the displays off.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
They reuse the same camera fixture for the non-SUV models (like my 2018 S5) and you can see where the sprayer head would go, but unfortunately it's not populated. I wish it was. Maybe it'll show up on the 2019 models, but I suspect that it's related to whether there's a washer/wiper on the rear window. If they're already running the washer lines, might as well hit the camera, too.
I suspect you're right. The camera washer sprays with the rear window washer & the rear wiper activates at the same time. Coupes / Sportbacks don't have rear wipers or washers - thus no camera washer
Old 02-15-2019, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Yes, my heat is on Sync and it’s the whole car flashing, so one side would be the way to go. Coverart is accessed from the Radio screen. The factory setting is the radio station logo. Tap the station logo and a new screen pops up with a larger station logo. Swipe right and it will show coverart (if available). Then hit the back button and coverart will be the new default setting on the radio and the VC screens...

When I try this is says disabled while in motion. Is this something that can only be done while at a stop?

Also when the interior lights are set to drive, when you turn on the seat warmers the lights will also to flash red briefly before turning back to white
Old 02-15-2019, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by dubbrand
When I try this is says disabled while in motion. Is this something that can only be done while at a stop?

Also when the interior lights are set to drive, when you turn on the seat warmers the lights will also to flash red briefly before turning back to white
Yes, only at stop forgot to mention that. But once you set it to coverart default I think most people will prefer to leave it on that setting permanently.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here’s some...

1.) Long press the “asterisk” steering wheel button (right side) and a menu of all the possible functions pops up on the upper display. Saves the hassle of trying to hunt for it through the MMI menus.

2.) Press one of the arrow buttons on the steering wheel (left side) to disable the chime that sounds when one of your doors is open.

3.) Long press the lower left side of the map screen on MMI to make the search box disappear at the top and also launch a sub menu of parking space locators in that area. This setting actually freezes the map from moving if you drive off though. It may work when touching any part of the screen I haven’t played around with it too much.

4.) Press the “...” button on the lower display to enable the HVAC functions in the upper display. Then press and hold one of the upper functions to move it to a dedicated spot down below for one-touch access. Since I leave my heat on Sync at all times I buried the Sync button in the sub menu and replaced it with the steering wheel heat icon down below for easier access.

Last edited by jrjunior31; 02-15-2019 at 11:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
imdakine1 (01-10-2021)
Old 02-18-2019, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Any time the windshield wipers are on, the rear wiper will come on one time when the car is put into reverse.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the massage seats to go on by pressing the center square button on the seat adjustment buttons. Eliminates hunting through the MMI.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I realized the other day that gas door won't pop open when you push it if the doors are locked
Old 05-14-2019, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dubbrand
I realized the other day that gas door won't pop open when you push it if the doors are locked
Maybe similar on a lot of cars now, or maybe a VAG thing. I think my last four VAG cars have all done this.

Quick Reply: Q8 quirks and little known features