AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/)
-   -   Q8 - Real World Fuel Economy (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/q8-real-world-fuel-economy-2963634/)

jrjunior31 12-06-2018 07:40 PM

Q8 - Real World Fuel Economy

I’m at 600 miles and my daily drives consist of a lot of short trips, lot of stop and go, and some hills. 75% City. My most recent tank I only got 12.5 miles to the gallon combined. 91 Octane at 76 Gas station which is supposedly top tier.

All the short city trips is a bad recipe for optimal fuel economy, and it should improve after 2-3k miles I’m assuming, but I would have thought it should be better than my Panny in that regard (they’re about the same), and the Panny was a 440 HP V8.

What mileage are others getting?

Edit: Forgot to mention I use Auto S/S about 70% of the time.

DONTHATEMYQ8 12-08-2018 10:21 AM

****ty gas mileage

Originally Posted by jrjunior31 (Post 25245667)
I’m at 600 miles and my daily drives consist of a lot of short trips, lot of stop and go, and some hills. 75% City. My most recent tank I only got 12.5 miles to the gallon combined. 91 Octane at 76 Gas station which is supposedly top tier.

All the short city trips is a bad recipe for optimal fuel economy, and it should improve after 2-3k miles I’m assuming, but I would have thought it should be better than my Panny in that regard (they’re about the same), and the Panny was a 440 HP V8.

What mileage are others getting?

Edit: Forgot to mention I use Auto S/S about 70% of the time.

I'm only getting 14.5 mpg average. Still waiting on it to improve... :(

DONTHATEMYQ8 12-08-2018 10:24 AM

Also, I'm running 93 octane gas. Am driving the vehicle in Dynamic mode as I don't like the way it looks raised up in the other modes. I have not been putting the transmission in Sport mode, however. I took a quick highway cruise in Comfort Mode and it did increase to 18 plus MPG, but I hate the way it looks.

jrjunior31 12-08-2018 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by DONTHATEMYQ8 (Post 25246234)
Also, I'm running 93 octane gas. Am driving the vehicle in Dynamic mode as I don't like the way it looks raised up in the other modes. I have not been putting the transmission in Sport mode, however. I took a quick highway cruise in Comfort Mode and it did increase to 18 plus MPG, but I hate the way it looks.

I hate the jacked up look also and run Dynamic all the time. Long highway trip I would go to comfort prob. The Dynamic suspension with 22s I’m finding a little bouncy and unsettled. I’m sure the dealer over-inflated tire pressure so I will let some air out and hope that helps some. Are you running the dealer PSI still?

Cadx6 12-08-2018 11:41 AM

Audi ships their vehicles with around 55psi all the way around to prevent flat spotting in transit. Make sure your dealer set them where they’re supposed to be before delivery. Mine didn’t when we picked up our Q5 & it darn near rattled our teeth out :eek:

jrjunior31 12-08-2018 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cadx6 (Post 25246261)
Audi ships their vehicles with around 55psi all the way around to prevent flat spotting in transit. Make sure your dealer set them where they’re supposed to be before delivery. Mine didn’t when we picked up our Q5 & it darn near rattled our teeth out :eek:

Yeah they feel like they’re in the 50s. The ride is terrible. Will prob change to minimum load values from the manual unless anyone here recommends something different?

gk1 12-09-2018 08:42 PM

Self calculated or from the trip computer? Just wondering if new Audi models still have the 10% optimism built into the trip computer so it might be even worse than you think.

jrjunior31 12-09-2018 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by gk1 (Post 25246689)
Self calculated or from the trip computer? Just wondering if new Audi models still have the 10% optimism built into the trip computer so it might be even worse than you think.

Self calculated.

markcincinnati 12-10-2018 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by jrjunior31 (Post 25246318)

Yeah they feel like they’re in the 50s. The ride is terrible. Will prob change to minimum load values from the manual unless anyone here recommends something different?

Whatever you (or others) decide is the optimal pressure, I've found that +2 in the fronts (cold, of course) will improve the handling due to most Audi's (other than the R8) nose-heaviness.

We drive a LOT of highway miles and are already sneaking up on 3,000 miles (and we're expecting the "new engine" at 5,000 miles as per usual) and the trip computer registers between 18.5 and 23 based on several factors including speed and, recently, high winds. My guess is, at 5K miles, the mileage will be (in our circumstances) at least 22 MPG, but around town, the mileage really sucks especially if the transmission can't get higher than 4th gear. In our case, we will be changing the oil at 5,000 miles. Although hardly a direct comparison, our previous three Audis all had the V6T (or some variant) that is in the Q8 and my S4. The mileage improvement (and power improvement) is most noticeable starting at 10,000 miles. The Q8's heft (5,000+ pounds) seems to beg for the "mild" hybrid to be a bit less mild and a little more helpful, especially at the kind of speeds that are common in stop and go or slow and go traffic. My guess is THAT won't happen as the e-Tron foreshadows things to come (and I would assume will happen sooner once battery life can offer an easily repeatable 300+ mpg with ample power all the while.) There surely is some reason that Audi has decided to not go to either a hybrid or a plug-in hybrid which, I would assume, could get the range on a tankful of fuel (and charged batteries) to perhaps 600+ miles.

We regularly drive 100 miles one-way, and that really makes a "best case" range of 248 miles too close for comfort with respect to causing range anxiety (especially since charging stations are not -- yet -- plentiful. For us to drive from Cincinnati to Columbus we would have to find a Walgreens (they have charging stations at several of the stores in Columbus) and park there, plugged in. This makes little sense since parking at a Walgreens, unless it is located near our destination, is improbable especially since we would be stretching the "service" Walgreens is offering which is for a customer to charge while he/she is shopping in that Walgreens.

All the "energy" spent on promoting e-cars can't (currently) point to either great range (although it is pretty good, these days) or "widely available" charging stations.

Like everything else, e-cars (assuming they are the future of the automobile) should come down in price once rapid charging, pervasive availability of charging locations, and vehicle price fall in line with similarly capable petrol-engined vehicles.

At Costco gas prices ($2.59 for premium), a full tank on our Q8 yields a range of 515 miles to empty range, and a fill-up, even in the long lines at Costco, takes under 15 minutes. A super-charger takes 30 minutes for a reported 80% charge, which seems to me to be well under 200 miles to empty. The amount of oil, the cheapness of gas, the availability, etc., makes the Q8's thirst less of a financial issue than we've seen in some time. So, for the level of performance+luxury the Q8, nicely equipped for $80K yields, the e-tron is still a really hard sell.

If you're unhappy with the mileage of the Q8, remember that a lot of the world will be buying diesel Q8s and may not share our disappointment (assuming that is what we have) with the Q8's thirst -- of course, who's to blame for our not being offered a diesel Q8 (they dug their own grave, so to speak, in that regard).

Of course, if you're buying a vehicle that seems ready, willing, and able to have its price go north of $90K and its mileage is a problem, well you may find it difficult for folks to have much sympathy. Although I love our Q8, I have to assume it lists as high as it does "because the market is willing to bear it." "We've met the enemy and he is us," kind of thing.

We all want the Q8 to be a bit less thirsty, I'd imagine -- but, for now, count on a maximum, I would guess of 24 MPG (downhilll with a tail wind) and a normal MPG closer to 18-20 especially if you only drive "sometimes" on the highway in 8th gear. Dare I say, "first world problem?"

shugs 12-20-2018 08:36 AM

My 2nd Tank, light acceleration, 90% city driving (flat), 10% highway 70-75 mph,.... wait for it........ 13.4 MPG

I'm starting to get a little worried as I traded in my 2013 Blutec ML 350 for this Q8. The ML was exceptional with gas mileage, but this new mileage scares me!

I will continue to post my results the next few tanks.

I have Prestige with Year One Package and drive in 'Auto'