AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/)
-   -   Q8 vs Q7 Observations (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/q8-vs-q7-observations-2970231/)

d2000one 04-08-2019 06:43 AM

Q8 vs Q7 Observations

My Q8 is in for service for a few issues and I was given a 2019 Q7 as a loaner. Here are a few of my observations after two days...

1. On my 22 mile morning commute using cruise control I usually average 20 - 22 mpg in my Q8. In the Q7 I've averaged 25 - 26 over two days.
2. The Q7 throttle is much more responsive and it feels faster accelerating from a stop. I would have expected it to be the opposite.
3. There is less wind noise from the windows in the Q8 than the Q7. I would have expected the opposite since Q8 doors are frameless.
4. In comfort mode they both have a really smooth ride (Q8 with YR1). I haven't tried other modes in the Q7.
5. The interior of the Q7 feels so dated compared to the Q8.
6. For my taste the Q8 looks SO much better! The Q7 is pedestrian in my opinion

jrjunior31 04-08-2019 08:51 AM

Do you have Luxury Package which gives you the dual pane glass feature?

netrom17 04-08-2019 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by d2000one (Post 25300538)
My Q8 is in for service for a few issues and I was given a 2019 Q7 as a loaner. Here are a few of my observations after two days...

1. On my 22 mile morning commute using cruise control I usually average 20 - 22 mpg in my Q8. In the Q7 I've averaged 25 - 26 over two days.
2. The Q7 throttle is much more responsive and it feels faster accelerating from a stop. I would have expected it to be the opposite.
3. There is less wind noise from the windows in the Q8 than the Q7. I would have expected the opposite since Q8 doors are frameless.
4 In comfort mode they both have a really smooth ride 9 (Q8 with YR1). I haven't tried other modes in the Q7.

I got my Q8 last week trading in my 2017 Q7 and concur with all your observations. Very pleased that I went with the Q8 instead of another Q7 that I had on order.

A few additional comments: I do find the Q8 faster that the Q7, albeit with the small lag initially that others on the forum already have mentioned. Besides that, the throttle response feels great. The turbocharged engine sounds way better than the supercharged one. The wind noise; I’m not sure, at high(er) speeds the Q7 did have substantial wind noise. I didn’t get the lux on my Q8, but this is not enough of an issue to be really noticeable to me, and I’d say it’s still a very quiet car.

I’m (also) positively surprised about the 22” wheels on the Q8. The ride is surprisingly smooth, at least with air suspension, I keep it it auto or dynamic only.

d2000one 04-08-2019 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by jrjunior31 (Post 25300613)
Do you have Luxury Package which gives you the dual pane glass feature?

Yes I do. Good point.

jrjunior31 04-08-2019 12:51 PM

I have the dual pane as well and never considered it being worth much of anything when I bought the car. But then when I drove my wife’s Highlander after being in the Q8 all the time I literally kept thinking there was a window open somewhere, the wind noise was so noticeable in comparison. It turns out the dual pane is actually a really nice feature. :)

markcincinnati 04-09-2019 06:06 AM

The Q8 needs "whatever would do the job" to provide the same (from stop) instant-on feeling like the supercharged 3.0T from the previous gen (e.g., Q7, A6, etc.) This could be accomplished by:

1. allowing the electric motor to be used to boost the amount of torque (thus making it a higher number) and improving the availability (thus making it available a "0" RPM.)
2. twin charging the current 3.0T thus giving it the benefit of both a supercharger and a turbocharger

Of course, there's something else that I am positive will be coming to the 3.0T (in the non-RS version, i.e.): more HP and torque from the current turbocharged engine.

The current turbocharged 3.0T is a sweetie -- but I'm a bit confused why Audi didn't offer the slightly tuned version of the engine -- by that I mean the version that is available in the S4/S5. The HP would be a bit higher. However, considering that the "comparable" twin-scroll turbo from BMW is coming in at 382 HP, Audi has to bump up the 349 HP of its engine to "keep up with the Bimmer's." Since the Q8 has been deemed to "need" only the 335 HP version of the Audi turbo 3.0, this would likely entail about +50 HP and perhaps another 15-20 pound-feet (hopefully below 1,500 RPM). Couple this with the mild-hybrid motor providing additional from 0 RPM torque and the Q8 would feel so much quicker (and it's not bad currently) from a full stop.

This is, of course, my prediction and my "wish" -- I juxtapose my "wish/prediction" with the lesson from history. When BMW (and/or Mercedes) offers X-HP and Y-Torque in a certain class of engine, the result is Audi follows suit. Likewise, if Audi gets to X and Y first, the other Germans follow Audi often with a bit more HP and Torque in an attempt to have "better numbers" for marketing (and, for real-world performance, too.)

Now, will Audi provide the bump(s) I have predicted and wish for in 2020 (MY), maybe yes, maybe no. Will they do this for 2021, I would bet on it.

Will they use the mild-hybrid for a bit more torque off the line? If the question was country specific, I'd say "yes, but probably not in the US."

The current push, so it seems, by Audi is electric. I would HOPE they would consider adding a plug-in hybrid and making better use of the mild-hybrid. I think this notion was just given more of a chance since the new e-tron was just EPA certified at 202 miles per charge. The initial thought was it would be much closer to the Audi marketing (to stimulate pre-orders) of 248 per charge.

Maybe it's the cost, the weight, the time it will take for the infrastructure (for charging) to come online, and the lack of battery technology that will provide both 300+ miles and sub-10 minute charge times, but I've read that the e-tron, just now showing up has already been superseded by up-stream technology. The Q8, I would imagine would be a logical vehicle to adopt plug-in hybridization, due largely to its curb weight. Imagine how heavy the Q8 would be if it became fully electrified what with the battery pack adding at least 1,500 pounds (granted there would be no IC engine, but there would be two electric motors and a lighter one-speed transmission, but for a vehicle like the Q8 to have a 200-mile range would be off-putting and a negative for sales.

Meantime, Audi has TODAY the RS5's 444HP engine that could be put into an SQ8 -- I can't imagine Audi going with a V8 in today's climate (no pun intended.)

If I wasn't such a CS, I'd consider a tune on the stock Q8 engine in an effort to provide a bit more off -the-line "oomph" and hopefully better top end power, too.

So, if you're considering a Q8 just know that it is very fast, pretty quick, extremely quiet, and with the YR-1 package and the "suspension" set to dynamic, a pretty good handling vehicle, plus it is, currently, Audi's best-looking vehicle. On the other hand, also know that many of us who have had the Q8 over 5,000 miles (ours has just turned 10,000 miles), our only "complaint" (actually more of a wish) is that it needs a kick in the butt at take-off. Also know, I am 99.999% convinced Audi will address this issue no later than the 2021 MY. Also, if you have an extra $15-20K, there surely will be an SQ8 which will take care of, if nothing else, the power issue.

dwboston 04-09-2019 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by markcincinnati (Post 25301032)
The Q8 needs "whatever would do the job" to provide the same (from stop) instant-on feeling like the supercharged 3.0T from the previous gen (e.g., Q7, A6, etc.) This could be accomplished by:

1. allowing the electric motor to be used to boost the amount of torque (thus making it a higher number) and improving the availability (thus making it available a "0" RPM.)
2. twin charging the current 3.0T thus giving it the benefit of both a supercharger and a turbocharger

I think you are correct and we've already seen it from another manufacturer in the same space. Jaguar Land Rover announced (somewhat unexpectedly) a new engine for the mid-year "2019.5" Range Rover Sport. JLR is moving away from Ford-produced V8 engines (not entirely by choice) and moving to in-house engines with "Ingenium" branding. The engine announced for the HST trim (mid-level trim but with some of the Autobiography trim's luxury features) of the RRS is an Ingenium inline 6-cylinder producing 395hp/405 lb-ft of torque, with an electric supercharger and twin-scroll turbos. I think all of the manufacturers are struggling a little bit with the start-stop technology and sluggish starts, and the mild-hybrid system with electric supercharger is one way to combat that with the turbos kicking in later.

I was a big fan of the supercharged V-6 in my 2012 A6 Prestige. That car was a blast to drive. My A8 4.0T certainly has more power, but the driving dynamics are noticeably different.

Elementalism 04-12-2019 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by d2000one (Post 25300538)

4. In comfort mode they both have a really smooth ride (Q8 with YR1). I haven't tried other modes in the Q7.

1. Been driving around town and got my Q8 up to a respectable 24.8MPG on most decent commutes. Short stuff around the block reports 16-18.
2. No experience
3. The first thing I noticed driving the Q8 on a test drive was how quiet it was driving on the highway. It was surreal.
4. Both rides are smooth.
5. Agree 110%. I always wanted a Q7. But went to a car show and sat in the Q7. First thing I felt was being underwhelmed, then disappointed. It felt dated not only compared to the Q8, but other luxury brands. Went for a test drive of the Q8 and Q7 a week later and bought a Q8.
6. I find both very attractive cars. They look really nice. Something about coming out of a store and see the Q8 there in its spot that I love. It just looks great.