Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 or X5

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ven7782
Congratulations. You finally pulled the trigger. How much discount did you get?
Thanks. 6% plus $500 USAA (if activated in Jan) and will apply for $1,000 BMW car club rebate. Was happy with that.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at the X5, great car, but just couldn't get over the hideous exterior styling. I know it's completely subjective, so it's just one person's opinion (well 2 if you count my GF), but I wouldn't spend $75K+ on a car that I didn't enjoy looking at. In most other ways the two are probably equally matched or fairly close. Value goes to X5 but looks goes to Q8. Personally, I think $10K more is a bargain for the superior styling considering how far apart they are on that front. In any event, enjoy your X5, it's a great car and a very good deal.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SammyH
I looked at the X5, great car, but just couldn't get over the hideous exterior styling. I know it's completely subjective, so it's just one person's opinion (well 2 if you count my GF), but I wouldn't spend $75K+ on a car that I didn't enjoy looking at. In most other ways the two are probably equally matched or fairly close. Value goes to X5 but looks goes to Q8. Personally, I think $10K more is a bargain for the superior styling considering how far apart they are on that front. In any event, enjoy your X5, it's a great car and a very good deal.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I think I would agree with you that the exterior of the Q8 is better looking but I will be spending the overwhelming majority of the time in the inside driving and not on the outside looking so all should be fine.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha fair enough. Though by that logic we should all live in crap shacks with overgrown lawns that just have beautiful interior decors and furniture, wear ragged but comfortable clothing, don't comb your hair or wear makeup, etc. lol

All kidding aside the X5 is a fine car, but I preferred the styling of the previous model, looked more aggressive and masculine.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I have now seen several more youtube "reviews" of the Q8 -- when compared, it seems the majority of comparos pit the Q8 against the X6. The logical comparo would seem to be the X5 and the Q7. Anyone can compare anything to anything of course. But the thing is there is a market (so far) for an X3, X4, X5, X6, and now X7. Likewise, there is a market for the Q3 through Q8. The question that struck me was about the Q8's $10K premium. The question that would seem to be the analog is why is the X6's MSRP higher than the X5's. I am certain Audi didn't build the Q8 to have it cross-shopped with either a Q7 or an X5. As I have said previously, I can't imagine why the A7 is almost $10K more than an A6 -- the reason, of course, is "there's a market for the A7" and those customers find it difficult to understand why I can't "see" the $10K value in the A7, the two vehicles were not created for the same customer. Audi figured there was a market for both.

I am clearly not suggesting we (the market) not look at any models/brands we want and compare them with other models from different brands, but it seems we might want to consider what the "marketing" guys/gals at the various mfgrs were going for with their cars. The X5 customer will probably not find the Q8 attractive.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^ Exactly!
Old 12-19-2018, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The X6 sells 600 to 700 a month while the X5 sells 4 to 5K a month. The Q8 will also have such skewed sales figure I think after the early adopters dry up. At least the A7 is bigger than the A6 to justify the higher price tag. Q8 on the contrary is smaller than Q7 and as someone said, it should be named Q6 if not for the price. I just don't see the value in Q8.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

... I just don't see the value in Q8.
Sometimes it's not all about value. Sometimes it's as simple as personal preference. If value was my top priority I would consider something like a Toyota Highlander, not any Audi.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

As I mentioned before, Audi may have done almost too good a job with the Q8 in making the roofline prettier than the GLE coupe and X6, making it ripe for comparison with other 5 seat SUV's. I am sure Audi did a lot of market studies and its marketing literature states it is competing against the X6 and GLE coupe, but that does not make it so. New Coke was supposed to be a good idea and many other marketing mistakes happen. Not saying there was a marketing mistake, they may have it nailed.

From my perspective and others that have chimed in on the board, the Q8 is being cross shopped by those, like myself, that do not want or need a third row, and don't really like the X6 or GLE coupe styling, but do like the Q8 styling. The question yet to be answered is whether those shopping the X6 or GLE coupe view the Q8 as an alternative. One of the issues with so many models from all the manufacturers these days is customer confusion and overlapping markets. Also yet to see (or even try to look) for how many units Audi hopes to sell of the Q8 and how that compares with the X6 and GLE coupe. If they frame the Q8 as a nice alternative to the regular GLE and X5 for those who don't want or need a third row, then they could sell more, but they may intentionally be pricing those customers out of the market since they would rather compete with the coupes for more money. Great thing about the market is it will figure itself out.

I personally chose to wait and see what MB brings to the table and let all these first year models get all the gremlins out with all the new platforms and technology and reassess in a couple of years. I leased a great deal 2018 sedan to tide me over for the time being and look forward to seeing more Q8's on the rode before making a decision.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

The X6 sells 600 to 700 a month while the X5 sells 4 to 5K a month. The Q8 will also have such skewed sales figure I think after the early adopters dry up. At least the A7 is bigger than the A6 to justify the higher price tag. Q8 on the contrary is smaller than Q7 and as someone said, it should be named Q6 if not for the price. I just don't see the value in Q8.
A6 and A7 -- remove their bodies and what you have left (underneath) is identical. I can't imagine anyone who is drawn to an A6 looks across the showroom floor and remarks "The A7 is bigger than an A6." I understand the additional luggage carrying capacity, etc. that the SB (hatchback, coupe?) body offers, but who is looking at an A7 for its cargo carrying capacity. To my eye, the only way I could justify (which is different than afford) an A7 would be if there was about ten-thousand dollars in cash in a bundle in the glove box. Other people are immediately smitten by the thing. I have test driven, extensively, both A7 and A6s (of the same model year). From behind the wheel, the differences are very minimal.

The same, at this point, cannot be said about the Q7 and the Q8. And, BTW, I agree the Q8 may very well be Audi's X6 in terms of sales. But again, someone did market research or took a huge crapshoot, and determined there was a market and that the market justified the build of the Q8, surely they didn't do it just to create a donor vehicle for the Urus or some once and future Cayenne or other Porsche did they?

The point here is to urge stopping what appears to be the "put down of the Q8 when it is compared to an X5 or even Q7 for that matter." Well, DOH!

I think the X5 is a very nice boxy SUV (or CUV, if you will). Yet the proper shopping experience (not because I said so) would be to see/read what folks who have carefully cross shopped the Q7 and X5 have to say (and on the Q7 forum). Of course, next year when the Q7 gets a refresh, probably all this Q8 vs X5 comparison shopping and hand-wringing and critical Q8 commentary will be forgotten.

What I'd really like to be seeing here, if we must discuss the competition, are comments from those who have shopped the X6 vs Q8 at the same or similar price points. Also, I would like to read from those who cross shop the Q8 and the GLE Coupe (again assuming similar price points.)

But, it is a free country and a free forum. I just find folks who have purchased X5s and then immediately dis the Q8 (for whatever reason) are not as helpful considering the cars and their intended markets are so dissimilar. What could be at the very least entertaining would be for someone who tested both the Lambo Urus and the Audi Q8 (as if) to give their impressions. Seriously, I am hoping for an RSQ8 which if it came in at $150K would still be $90K less than the Urus. My wife read the new C&D "test" of the Urus and she thinks the Urus is a good looking "sheen" but she thinks her Orca black YR-1 packaged Q8 still looks "badass" (but by the same token, I would argue, as my X5 Q8 confusion, I would say to her, the Q8 was NOT meant to be seriously cross-shopped with a quarter-million dollar Urus, period.)

If you are seriously considering a Q8 (not a Q7 prospect who wandered across the floor to have a look-see at the Q8) have you also looked at the X6 and GLE Coupe? If so what were your impressions, say at any price point north of $75K (apples to apples)?

Last edited by markcincinnati; 12-19-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Q8 or X5