Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 or X5

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When comparing prices don’t forget that the Q8 ones wih two expensive options exclusive to Audi-Matrix headlights and the equipment for L3 self driving. If Audi doesn’t get them activated soon someone else will. It’s still overpriced but maybe less so down the road!
Old 12-29-2018, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshua Stein
Technology -Now everyone on here will claim the Audi's technology is superior and that is true but there is a downside to Audi's new MMI system. Its extremely difficult to use while driving. This was a big gripe of mine, I don't mind touch screens for nav and audio, but for AC controls, the bottom screen is awful. Trying to adjust any aspect of the AC (fan, temp, mode, recirculation, all of it) while driving is annoyingly difficult and requires the driver's attention to be diverted, and what seems like a firmer tap compared to other touchscreens. Some will say, "just use the voice controls" but lets be honest, voice controls are also not good in any car, take a long time, and aren't really the best to use in the middle of conversation. Audi's controller based MMI in my opinion is much better, and honestly one of the reasons I would say look at a Q7 over a Q8. The BMW has great technology that is simple to use, and has many similar features to Audi. Some downsides are that their digital gauges aren't close to how good Audi's are and Android Auto isn't available (apple carplay is). One great feature of the BMW is the 8 presets, which can be set to any of the car's functions within idrive, or media, and really makes
getting to certain features really easy and fast.
Excellent post, I agree you should post more often. Wanted to comment on the highlighted parts of your post. It sounds like you had the haptic feedback setting engaged on the Q8 for the touch screens. I agree it takes a firm press which diverts attention from the road longer. The haptic response can be disabled though, and the climate screen responds to touch much faster like a standard touchscreen. I disabled this early on and have no issues with the climate settings.

I didn't drive the BMW but have seen the guage cluster layout and don't understand why they designed it that way. It looks awful. Is there a more traditional round dial guages screen you can select? The Audi Virtual cockpit is highly configurable giving a lot of different screen options. The Google satellite imagery looks amazing, I find myself using this during the day a lot, and then at night I switch to the more traditional round guages screen. Sometimes when I pull up next to older BMWs at night I marvel at their old school analog guages with that awesome orangey glow. I do wish the Audi guages were a softer color at night, I find the white to be a little distracting, but I would not be happy without a classic round dial set-up in the cluster. To me this is a huge dealbreaker, its what you are looking at literally all the time.

Last edited by jrjunior31; 12-29-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S
When comparing prices don’t forget that the Q8 ones wih two expensive options exclusive to Audi-Matrix headlights and the equipment for L3 self driving. If Audi doesn’t get them activated soon someone else will. It’s still overpriced but maybe less so down the road!
Matrix headlights are hardly exclusive to Audi. There are multiple Porsche models in the US with LED matrix headlights (with the matrix function disabled). Same with BMW and Mercedes-Benz. They all offer their own versions of matrix technology. You can easily override the US-specific coding on most BMWs with LED headlights these days.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was shopping around, I never seriously considered the X5 or the Q7. I looked at the RR Velar, Macan GTS, SQ5, and Q8. Thought about the Stelvio but really needed a model between the standard one and the Quad...plus reliability issues scared me off. I'm a relatively young guy, single, with no children, I wouldn't buy an X5 or Q7, not even if they were $20K less than the Q8. You can compare any two cars, doesn't mean anything. Why not say the Jeep Grand Cherokee is superior to the Q7!? It's just as capable, maybe nicer looking, and significantly cheaper. Sure the Q7 has a nicer interior and better tech, but for the price you can argue the Jeep is a WAY better value. Nonsense.

I do think Audi made a mistake with the Q8...it's too cheaply priced. Let me explain. Audi should've made the Q8 the SQ8. Increase the price by $5K to $7K and give the customer performance that matches the looks. Every Q8 would be in the Year-1 configuration at that point, every Q8 would be at 5 seconds 0-60, every Q8 would have moderately better handling/stiffer suspension, etc. Not only would the Q8 be better distinguished from X5/Q7/RR, but it would be a beast for all its competitors like the GLE/X6. And it would've been even more exclusive and more befitting of the name. I would've gladly paid an additional ~$5K to ~$7K for that...but $15K or whatever for the upcoming SQ8 is a little much.

With all that said, I still think the current Q8 is one hell of a package. My MSRP was high $70Ks, after discounts closer to mid $70Ks. Considering the price of other cars out there, I really think it's a great deal given the exterior looks (#2 SUV following Urus), really nice interior (I can care less about leather top of the doors lol), VERY advanced tech, great performance for a large SUV, exclusivity, and hopefully reliability given Audi's historical track record. If you want to save $8K and get an X5 or Q7, go for it and enjoy, but then you weren't really the target consumer because I AM the target consumer and I would NEVER buy one of the those cars (not knocking them because they are fine SUVs).

Old 12-29-2018, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CipherKeys
Matrix headlights are hardly exclusive to Audi. There are multiple Porsche models in the US with LED matrix headlights (with the matrix function disabled). Same with BMW and Mercedes-Benz. They all offer their own versions of matrix technology. You can easily override the US-specific coding on most BMWs with LED headlights these days.
I know about Porsche but the post is comparing the X5 to the Q8. There’s a big difference between Matrix that individually control 64 LED’s vs the X5 with two. There are is a good YouTube video comparing MB, BMW and Audi. If I get some time I’ll look for a link. My take is that the Audi is superior since it will only dim those few that point at the oncoming vehicle. How much better might be a matter of individual perspective.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31

Excellent post, I agree you should post more often. Wanted to comment on the highlighted parts of your post. It sounds like you had the haptic feedback setting engaged on the Q8 for the touch screens. I agree it takes a firm press which diverts attention from the road longer. The haptic response can be disabled though, and the climate screen responds to touch much faster like a standard touchscreen. I disabled this early on and have no issues with the climate settings.

I didn't drive the BMW but have seen the guage cluster layout and don't understand why they designed it that way. It looks awful. Is there a more traditional round dial guages screen you can select? The Audi Virtual cockpit is highly configurable giving a lot of different screen options. The Google satellite imagery looks amazing, I find myself using this during the day a lot, and then at night I switch to the more traditional round guages screen. Sometimes when I pull up next to older BMWs at night I marvel at their old school analog guages with that awesome orangey glow. I do wish the Audi guages were a softer color at night, I find the white to be a little distracting, but I would not be happy without a classic round dial set-up in the cluster. To me this is a huge dealbreaker, its what you are looking at literally all the time.
Thanks for informing me about the haptic feedback, had no idea that it was changeable. About the X5's gauges, sadly there is no circular layout, but the speedo and tach are still plenty visible and are easier to adjust to than what I thought, with a digital readout for speed being displayed next to the speedo. It isn't the prettiest, but its not awful. Lower models like the new 3 series and future vehicles will be able to have traditional analog gauges as long as you don't opt for any tech packages, but higher models like the X5 get them standard. They aren't horrible, but with BMW's new infotainment, over the air updates are available, so maybe down the line they'll make an update for the gauges, but I wouldn't say its a dealbreaker, its just one thing you eventually get use to.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S

I know about Porsche but the post is comparing the X5 to the Q8. There’s a big difference between Matrix that individually control 64 LED’s vs the X5 with two. There are is a good YouTube video comparing MB, BMW and Audi. If I get some time I’ll look for a link. My take is that the Audi is superior since it will only dim those few that point at the oncoming vehicle. How much better might be a matter of individual perspective.
I mean I'm sure that Matrix-LEDs are cool and all, but I mean I'm plenty happy with a good pair of LEDs or just something that isn't Halogens, most cars are too blinding now a days anyways. Most buyers also probably don't even know what types of headlights they have, hell most luxury buyers don't know their engines either, I've bought used BMWs in the past where the owner thought they had a V6 or a 4 cylinder under the hood, only the enthusiast truly care anymore.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The X5 now has the LaserLights for the top lighting choice. Seems like they will be the way things will be going in the future due to efficiency, brightness and size but it could be something will come along in a few years to change that.

https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/st...icle-1.4042412
Old 12-29-2018, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SammyH
When I was shopping around, I never seriously considered the X5 or the Q7. I looked at the RR Velar, Macan GTS, SQ5, and Q8. Thought about the Stelvio but really needed a model between the standard one and the Quad...plus reliability issues scared me off. I'm a relatively young guy, single, with no children, I wouldn't buy an X5 or Q7, not even if they were $20K less than the Q8. You can compare any two cars, doesn't mean anything. Why not say the Jeep Grand Cherokee is superior to the Q7!? It's just as capable, maybe nicer looking, and significantly cheaper. Sure the Q7 has a nicer interior and better tech, but for the price you can argue the Jeep is a WAY better value. Nonsense.

I do think Audi made a mistake with the Q8...it's too cheaply priced. Let me explain. Audi should've made the Q8 the SQ8. Increase the price by $5K to $7K and give the customer performance that matches the looks. Every Q8 would be in the Year-1 configuration at that point, every Q8 would be at 5 seconds 0-60, every Q8 would have moderately better handling/stiffer suspension, etc. Not only would the Q8 be better distinguished from X5/Q7/RR, but it would be a beast for all its competitors like the GLE/X6. And it would've been even more exclusive and more befitting of the name. I would've gladly paid an additional ~$5K to ~$7K for that...but $15K or whatever for the upcoming SQ8 is a little much.

With all that said, I still think the current Q8 is one hell of a package. My MSRP was high $70Ks, after discounts closer to mid $70Ks. Considering the price of other cars out there, I really think it's a great deal given the exterior looks (#2 SUV following Urus), really nice interior (I can care less about leather top of the doors lol), VERY advanced tech, great performance for a large SUV, exclusivity, and hopefully reliability given Audi's historical track record. If you want to save $8K and get an X5 or Q7, go for it and enjoy, but then you weren't really the target consumer because I AM the target consumer and I would NEVER buy one of the those cars (not knocking them because they are fine SUVs).
Sounds like the Q8 fits your needs and preferences perfectly. Congrats! Not sure I'd put the Macan or SQ5 in that company - and certainly not a Fiat/Chrysler product - but different strokes. And I must be the target audience as well, because the Q8 is on my short list for next up too - along with the X5 and Q7. And GLE. Essentially to me, the same cars. Same engines. Same performance. Same tech. Sure, distinguishing unique features - that's what makes the world go 'round. But really fairly large-ish, luxury German SUVs with lots of gee-whiz toys. The things you mention that the Q8 should have, for which you'd pay a larger premium - that would distinguish it from the cars mentioned - it doesn't have. It doesn't have significantly better performance. It doesn't have better tech - the tech between all of them is essentially the same, packaged differently. In fact, the US model of the Q8 is missing features the others have. The quality between these models is arguably the same (plastic door tops perhaps a variant). Reliability of any of them TBD. A Martian fresh-landed wouldn't be able to tell the difference. You like the svelt exterior styling of the Q8 - to me, sheet metal and paint - but for which you're willing to pay a premium; that's why Audi sells cars. I'd actually be happy driving any of them, or for that matter my current Q7, which shares all of the above attributes. Mileage and time will bring me to a trade ultimately, and I'll consider all of them, and maybe something else that comes along by then. And what I consider value will be the determining factor.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I mentioned in another thread, and agree with Sammy, they should have had a little more power under the hood … or had an SQ8 available as well at launch to take certain markets.

Quick Reply: Q8 or X5